PDA

View Full Version : Leatherman Wave

lone-wolf
10-18-2014, 07:02 PM
Well, after years of owning the wave, with occasional use, I started to EDC it to work and was finding it handy. I carry a small tool pouch at work(not the usual massive one most electricians wear, nor do I have tools hanging out of every pocket), just a #8 driver, linesmen, wire strippers and a black sharpie. So having the wave in one pocket with a philips, flat, + knife was becoming handy for the odd screw or box to open without having to cram more into my tool pouch.

Anyways, like every other knife I have carried, I lost the SOB last week!
Or, more correctly, I left it on top of a light with the intention of retrieving it the next day but the next day it wasn't there...

Dang. Gonna get a Leatherman Crater C33B at some point, as I have other screwdrivers, but no other knife to carry. And I need a knife.

mavrik9
10-19-2014, 05:07 PM
I have had my wave for 15 years now, it has more than payed for itself numerous times. It has also saved my arse a few times over the years. It sucks that you lost yours but it seems like you have stumbled across an opportunity to upgrade your EDC multitool

Mad Hatter
10-19-2014, 06:18 PM
I picked one up earlier this year along with the driver bit kit and extension. I like the fact that it has replaceable wire cutters, saw blade and file. I see now that it is offered with the Croc accessory as well.

Petamocto
10-19-2014, 07:03 PM
I have the Titanium Wave (wife's Christmas present to me a while ago), and as much as I love the build quality of it, I really don't like the utility of it in terms of how hard it is to get some of the inside tools out. Just using my own hands, I find I really have to press way too hard jamming my fingernails (causing great pain) under the middle schnibs to get the smaller tools to come out (screwdriver, scissors, etc).

The main tools are fine like the knives and the pliers, but it's not the world's most useful tool if you need another tool to open it.

Mad Hatter
10-19-2014, 07:43 PM
I bought mine mainly to carry in my EDC pack as I don't like carrying a tool bag around or put it in my bug-out bag as a survival tool or in the near future, on my belt in the bush when hunting again for emergencies and survival.

Mad Hatter
10-19-2014, 07:45 PM
I have the Titanium Wave (wife's Christmas present to me a while ago), and as much as I love the build quality of it, I really don't like the utility of it in terms of how hard it is to get some of the inside tools out. Just using my own hands, I find I really have to press way too hard jamming my fingernails (causing great pain) under the middle schnibs to get the smaller tools to come out (screwdriver, scissors, etc).

The main tools are fine like the knives and the pliers, but it's not the world's most useful tool if you need another tool to open it.

My employee has one and what he showed me was that the more you use it, the looser it becomes and easier to extricate the tools from their spaces.

mavrik9
10-19-2014, 11:01 PM
My employee has one and what he showed me was that the more you use it, the looser it becomes and easier to extricate the tools from their spaces.
That is true, mine being 15 years old can open like a butterfly knife and most tools in it can be opened with one hand as well.

Candychikita
10-19-2014, 11:45 PM
I have the Titanium Wave and I love it. It's sufficient.

RangeBob
10-20-2014, 04:05 AM
I've had a Leatherman Charge (black nylon sheath with spare bits, no scissors) for almost a decade. Can't recall ever using it, but I don't EDC it either.

My EDC is
- Chrome Bullet Spacepen (http://www.spacepen.ca/StoreBox/classics/400.htm) (pen)
- Foursevens Preon P2 (http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/4sevens/preon-2.html) (flashlight)
- Spyderco CMGREP ManBug ZDP-189 Green Plain Edge (http://www.warriorsandwonders.com/Spyderco/Spyderco_Manbug_ZDP-189) (tiny knife)

I'm finding the ManBug amazingly handy -- opening packages, cutting rope/string, cutting insulation, sharpening carpenter's pencils -- every day.

Cryptix
10-20-2014, 09:32 AM
I've had my Wave for about 13 years now, and the only damage it has suffered is some chewed up wire cutters (I was being dumb, the tool did not fail me.)

Also have the Surge, but that stays in the tool box, as I find it just a tad too large and heavy for EDC use (belt or pocket carry).

If I lost mine, I would shed a man tear, then buy another one in a heartbeat. lol

Candychikita
10-20-2014, 01:24 PM
If I lost mine, I would shed a man tear, then buy another one in a heartbeat. lol

What is this "man tear"? Is that like a crocodile tear?

http://yerangkim.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/crocodile_tears.jpg

Petamocto
10-20-2014, 01:49 PM
What is this "man tear"? Is that like a crocodile tear?

No, men's tears is where whiskey comes from.

Strewth
10-20-2014, 04:46 PM
No, men's tears is where whiskey comes from.

I thought that was an urban legend! That must be why Scottish whiskey is so expensive.
Jack Daniels must be a big cry-baby. Or have some sick fascination with getting his nose broken?