LifeLine
10-20-2014, 04:57 PM
here is one of my new vids. enjoy!
this drill is to reinforce positive action after the Tq. is applied
Im sorry its not embedded its a new website

https://www.full30.com/video/d713539b2ed2dd6d3df7dcf2e1427fb9

Strewth
10-20-2014, 05:48 PM
Good idea reinforcing positive action after applying a Tq...would have liked to have heard that you're applying it right above the knee for a high lower leg injury, or that it should be applied close, but not over the wound? Maybe a simulated wound next time? Red cloth, etc? Also good to stress that a tourniquet is a last resort if a pressure bandage doesn't stop the bleed? Although maybe this doesn't apply in your scenario. How did you have the Tq folded up? I have it so the velcro is barely touching itself? Then I can just feel for the buckle?
I liked the vid, good sound and picture, well spoken with good editing, no wasted time.

kennymo
10-20-2014, 08:07 PM
Little different style than the one I keep handy, reminds me I should check it out more often to familiarize myself in case I ever do need to use it. (Hopefully not) I was kinda pissed when I took my last St.John's Ambulance first aid course and they refused to show people how to use them. I know it's a last resort kinda technique and can lead to losing the limb, but when you need to use it, you NEED to use it.

Strewth
10-20-2014, 08:18 PM
Little different style than the one I keep handy, reminds me I should check it out more often to familiarize myself in case I ever do need to use it. (Hopefully not) I was kinda pissed when I took my last St.James Ambulance first aid course and they refused to show people how to use them. I know it's a last resort kinda technique and can lead to losing the limb, but when you need to use it, you NEED to use it.

Yeah, heard about this, not sure if they are worried people are going to use them when they've been told not to? It's fun to turn your hand white:). Plus when you NEED to use one, you need to have it visible (with the time marked on it preferably) so that the person removing it can decide if the patient needs an anti-coagulant (Heparin?) to keep the blood clot formed by the tourniquet from racing to the heart. Not rocket surgery, but can be very dangerous, and is something people should know. Also easy to cause permanent nerve damage.
There's a cool site on this stuff (with lots to scare me away from using a Tq, except when absolutely necessary), flukely called: tourniquets.org.

kennymo
10-20-2014, 08:30 PM
I just thought it was completely funny that we learned about them in junior high health class and 4-H but now that I'm a thirty something adult I'm not responsible enough to use one....
When I was thirteen they were teaching us how to make one with a triangle bandage and a stick for crap's sake...