PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Ranger 1000

awndray
10-28-2014, 10:32 AM
Though the Bushnell seems nice, I'm contemplating between Leica and Vortex. It would be nice to have ballistics integrated, but of course the price point would certainly change

TV-PressPass, I'm looking at you. I saw the video you posted some time ago on the other board.

http://youtu.be/a0dlZyHFLpE

After a couple of years with one of these, how is it holding up?

Lee Enfield
10-28-2014, 07:03 PM
Have a Vortex, seems very good. Easy to use, durable tactile feel and accurate.

JustBen
10-28-2014, 09:41 PM
I have this! I love it. I've only had it about a year, but it hasn't let me down yet.

awndray
11-18-2014, 05:58 AM
No answer here. No answer on Facebook. What gives, TVPP?

saskcoyote306
11-28-2014, 12:59 PM
I looked at one and they are behind in terms of technology and they aren't cheap either. Bushnell rangefinders get very good reviews and hold over values in inches, MOA and evn Mils now. They aquire the target faster as well. Leupold have the same features but are not reviewed as well.
One nice feature that Vortex has that nobody offers is a lifetime guarantee..pretty much unheard of in electronics.

awndray
11-28-2014, 01:07 PM
I've given up on TVPP. I did some research of my own. I think I prefer the Leupold. It's $100 more, but Cabela's has it on sale for $100 off. I also discovered the Leica CRF 1000-R. It's more expensive, but someone is selling a near-new one for the same price as a new Vortex. The lifetime warranty on the Vortex is nice though.

saskcoyote306
11-28-2014, 02:07 PM
I've given up on TVPP. I did some research of my own. I think I prefer the Leupold. It's $100 more, but Cabela's has it on sale for $100 off. I also discovered the Leica CRF 1000-R. It's more expensive, but someone is selling a near-new one for the same price as a new Vortex. The lifetime warranty on the Vortex is nice though.

Leica 1000-r would be what I would buy if you know for sure its not a scam, and in mint shape. Id pass on the Leupold and probably buy Vortex.

JustBen
03-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Figured I'd give you guys an update. Mine crapped out after two hunting seasons. It turned on, but would never provide me with a range. So I called, they said send it in, and in less than ten days I had a brand new one in my possession. Not bad at all, but I hope this one lasts longer.

TV-PressPass
03-09-2015, 02:20 PM

Awe crap! Should have PM'd me on here! When did you ask on FB monsieur? I find they filter too much these days. Sorry this is so damn late!

Mine's still going strong. I like the Ranger 1000, and if I were going to buy a second rangefinder I'd bite the bullet and get a Terrapin.

A few things:

I'll never buy a rangefinder with integral ballistics. Their charts will never be as good as the charts you can get from a proper ballistic calculator. I like JBM, but Strelok and iSnipe are good too.

I'll always buy a rangefinder with angle compensation. It's not always a lot of distance, but if you're in valleys and moutains or treestands it can change your math.

I try to get the simplest readout I can, which is why I like the Vortex. When the distance is compensated, thats all I see. When the distance is not compensated, it gives the raw numbers so I could calculate it myself.

I really like the damn belt mount. Clip it on molle, clip it on belts, clip it inside the pack so its not rattling around to the bottom. You name it!

kennymo
03-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Figured I'd give you guys an update. Mine crapped out after two hunting seasons. It turned on, but would never provide me with a range. So I called, they said send it in, and in less than ten days I had a brand new one in my possession. Not bad at all, but I hope this one lasts longer.

That Vortex warranty seems pretty kickass. I fortunately haven't needed it for the binoculars I've been kicking around for the last two hunting seasons, and I look forward to buying one of their scopes when Bushnell Elites on sale stop ambushing me.... That said, my Bushnell 1200 ARC has been pretty good to me. It's biggest downfall is in low light, very dark glass right around dusk/dawn, especially if it's cloudy out. I have managed to use it out to 1000 yards too, a stand of white poplar makes a decent substitute for the reflective target they speak of in the manual. Now if only I could shoot that far....

awndray
04-01-2015, 07:16 AM
I ended up picking one up. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but I like what I see at first glance. I can't wait to try it.

http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=848&d=1427578484

KnowledgeSeeker
12-17-2015, 10:26 PM
"It would be nice to have ballistics integrated, but of course the price point would certainly change"

Burris makes an integrated system you can even get it set to your caliber and grain!

Leadtransfertech
12-18-2015, 11:08 PM
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww238/leadtransfertech/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsjqez8epw.jpeg (http://s723.photobucket.com/user/leadtransfertech/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsjqez8epw.jpeg.html)

I won this optics package from wholesale sports and it came with a Ranger 1000 can't wait to try them over the Christmas holidays!