PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a Remington 572? I have a question regarding its guts...

Bullwhip
05-13-2012, 10:35 PM
If so, I have a question regarding what Remington calls the "carrier" or I'd call the shell lifter.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h68/Bullwhip2006/4c1568103651c_26341n.jpg

How loose is yours?

I take the action group out of the receiver and the carrier piece is quite loose on the pivot tube (with several thou between it and the d-clip when held flat against the housing). If you are holding the action group in your hand like you are going to fire it, the end of the carrier away from you that would lift the shell can wiggle back and forth a good inch left to right.

Is this normal?

I ask as I'm having feeding problems, and one of the points I've seen while searching for troubleshooting ideas is the carrier could be dragging on the sides of the slot it rides in, and not kicking up a shell. The fix is to bend the carrier end slightly.

However, it makes no sense to bend the end if the thing is meant to be so loose.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Dmay
05-14-2012, 06:19 AM
I've just been working on one lately. Can't remember for sure how much play was in it, but yours sounds pretty loose. Although it may not matter, if I remember right its kinda trapped on the slot.If I get time tonight, I'll pop out the trigger group and have a look.....

superbrad
05-14-2012, 07:15 AM
I think it runs similar to the ones in a cooey 60 or 600.... check the part that rides in the slot on the underneath of the bolt to see if it is worn or bent.... it's that bolt slot that should keep it from waggling....

Bullwhip
05-14-2012, 07:26 AM
It sits freely in the bolt slot, and there doesn't appear to any wear on the carrier, but it wouldn't take much force to move it one side in the slot and cause binding/not kick a shell up.

Or maybe I'm overthinking this and what it needs is a new carrier spring.

superbrad
05-14-2012, 08:08 AM
Does it use a jam nut to hold the assembly in place like the cooey does? If so, you may want to try adjusting that nut to allow less or more slop in your action....

Bullwhip
05-14-2012, 11:50 AM
No, unfortuately. It uses a D-shaped retainer that fits into a slot on the edn of the pivot tube and slips over:
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h68/Bullwhip2006/Capture.jpg

I can push the pivot tube so that it is sort of tight up against the carrier, but then it makes the disconnector very loose on the other side. Pushing the pivot tube so there is even space between the d-rings and the respective carrier & disconnector, and both are loose.

Worst case I could make or buy a thin washer to take up the slack.

But as mentioned earlier, if all 572s are that loose, then that would obviously not be the problem and I should look elsewhere for the cause of the feeding problem.

Dmay
05-15-2012, 06:44 AM
I looked at mine, and it is definitely loose, but probably not as loose as you describe. With the pivot tube centered, splitting the "play" between the carrier and disconnector, the far end of the carrier has almost 1/2" of wiggle back and forth.
I doubt this helps you any.
It is my suspicion that the slop in the carrier is not the problem, although I can't come up with any useful suggestions. Might be worth shimming it a little just to see if anything changes.

Bullwhip
05-15-2012, 07:23 AM
Thanks for looking Dmay, and thanks Superbrad.

No, that does help. It tells me it is supposed to be loose that way more or less.

I called WGP yesterday and they have 572 parts in stock, so am thinking to order a new carrier return spring for what its worth.

Otherwise, I'm a bit at a loss.

Dmay
05-15-2012, 01:11 PM
I wonder if you left that bottom cover-thingee off and operated the action if you would be able to observe anything going on.....thats how I finally found the problem I was having......especially if it lifts a round sometime and not other times....?
(My issue was totally different, and I can't remember how good you can watch that carrier....)