PDA

View Full Version : Is open carry legal in Canada?

ahso
11-07-2014, 12:33 PM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f104/XZCY/fin-20-ashamed-open-carry_zpsd71d8027.gif~original

Where I come from itís legal.
And I practice open carry so I donít lose that right.
I do not hesitate to show my ID when asked.
The first time I went into a bank you would think I was there to rob it.
This is the problem; people do not know a good guy from a bad guy.
All the public see is bad guys running around with a gun.
Now, a 88 year old man goes into a bank and they hit the silent alarm.
Well after a while they got tired of hitting the alarm and they greet now, Ahsoooo,,, how are you today.
I conceal carry 80%
I open carry 20% (training)
I am trying to train the public, that not everyone is bad because they have a gun showing.
But some gun owners are ashamed to show their open carry.

Are you ashamed to show being a gun owner?

FlyingHigh
11-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Open carry in canada is illegal. Doing so is a quick way to arrested, lose everything and never own guns again.

Drache
11-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Open carry in canada is illegal. Doing so is a quick way to arrested, lose everything and never own guns again.

And Concealed Carry is even worse than open carry in Canada :(

ReignCzech
11-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Where I come from itís legal.
And I practice open carry so I donít lose that right.
I do not hesitate to show my ID when asked.
The first time I went into a bank you would think I was there to rob it.
This is the problem; people do not know a good guy from a bad guy.
All the public see is bad guys running around with a gun.
Now, a 88 year old man goes into a bank and they hit the silent alarm.
Well after a while they got tired of hitting the alarm and they greet now, Ahsoooo,,, how are you today.
I conceal carry 80%
I open carry 20% (training)
I am trying to train the public, that not everyone is bad because they have a gun showing.
But some gun owners are ashamed to show their open carry.

In canada you can open carry a handgun visible in a holster.
-On crown land
-on your property.
-you can shoot the specific class of open carryable handguns anywhere it is legal to discharge firearms ( basically non-restricted class ) i.e. on crown land or on your property( of course permitting such property is a safe area to do so, in accordance to laws.)
transportation of as well as storage firearms in transit laws and guidelines are applicable.
having copies of status in regard to non-firearm classed firearm, as well as laws pertaining, should be accompanied at all times.

the specifics remain that the firearm class resides in the non-firearm ( antique) designation and class according to firearms act ( as well as the go and not go calibers), and CC.
so in canada, that narrows it down to handguns ( serial numbers from manufacturers ) dating up to dec 31 1897, 23:59:59 hrs.
( many handgun frames or serialized component, were manufactured prior to this date of cut-off date, however, assembled several years after the date )

although antiques are classed non-firearms, by law,.. in canada, the rule of thumb, also to avoid confrontation and possible OIC/GIC changes for the responsible public, is to not open carry such class of handgun in public and in the public's eyes pushing the only allowable avenue for canadians, to have the instance to be taken away.

This of course does not include the ATC 1,2,3 permits of those individuals that are permitted to concealed or open carry restricted and/or prohibited class handguns, which is canada's permit to carry modern firearms/ handguns legally.

not at all, it's enjoyable, although doing so is under stricter regulations, social rules, and discretion than it is in the U.S.

Gaidheal
11-07-2014, 05:59 PM
-On crown land
-on your property.

UM, What?

You cannot take a handgun out of your dwelling unless it is locked for transport to somewhere legal to shoot it (or other transportation like mailing it etc)

You step outside your dwelling with a handgun in anything other than a locked box with a trigger lock on it and you are screwed.

lone-wolf
11-07-2014, 06:11 PM

Ashamed? No, I am fearful. Police seem to have a license to shoot first, cover up the facts later.

Petamocto
11-07-2014, 06:15 PM
This is about the only thing you can carry in the woods in a holster without risking jail time:

http://www.henryrifles.com/wp-content/uploads/rifles/Mars-Leg-Rifle.png

RangeBob
11-07-2014, 06:25 PM
If your Authorization To Transport or Authorization To Carry or Possession And Acquisition Licence Conditions say you can open carry, then you can open carry a handgun.

In Canada, no one's Possession And Acquisition Licence Conditions say you can open carry a handgun.
In Canada, no one's Authorization To Transport says you can open carry a handgun.

In Canada, Authorization To Carry, is most often used for Armoured Car Guards, who must open carry their handguns, and only while they are on patrol.
Authorization To Carry is also issued for a few hundred individuals who have had their primary employment for a couple years in the wilderness or while trapping -- but you have to spend your first couple years carrying a rifle to prove that it's your livelihood first, before you can carry a handgun to protect your life. These must also be open carried, and only while they are in the wilderness.

In Canada, it's estimated that fewer than 40 people have Authorization To Carry's that are written similarly to the USA's concealed carry permits -- these obviously wouldn't be open carry either, being concealed. These are may issue, and rare as hen's teeth. In the 1950s and 1960s and early 1970s, local police could 'may issue' and did issue these to anyone, and many store owners and bank managers got them, but the law changed and the ability to stand face to face with your permit grantor disappeared.

Wendell
11-07-2014, 06:30 PM

:canada: The Criminal Code (http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/) and Regulations (http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/) are found here (http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/).

Petamocto
11-07-2014, 06:35 PM

Nope, but I'd be extremely ashamed of being in jail and my wife having to sell our house to feed our kids.

Hard to be a good dad and husband when you're locked up without ever having harmed someone.

lone-wolf
11-07-2014, 06:44 PM
This is about the only thing you can carry in the woods in a holster without risking jail time:

http://www.henryrifles.com/wp-content/uploads/rifles/Mars-Leg-Rifle.png

The centerfire is tube loaded like a .22 as well? No loading gate?
I never seen a centerfire one like that. Not quick to top off the magazine.

Petamocto
11-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Hello, I didn't want to go on a tangent on the thread, but I will limit an explanation to one post. Those are the Henry Mare's Legs:

http://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/mares-leg/

They also make a full-size version:

http://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/big-boy/

You are correct that the loading tubes are not as fast as side-loaders, but Henry firearms are generally understood to be among the highest quality cowboy-style rifles you can get. They are extremely well-made, big, beefy pieces of art. In fact, they are so beefy that they're almost too heavy/dense. Authentic, but not easy to carry.

Some reviews that vouch for them:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_big-boy_1894C_1873.htm

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/08/chris-dumm/gun-review-henry-big-boy-44-magnum/

Back on topic, I did not mean to turn this into a Henry fan page, I was merely using the Mare's Leg style as an example of a short non-restricted firearm that you could potentially carry on your hip. It wouldn't be comfortable, and it would be extremely heavy, but it's the only way to pull it off here.

ReignCzech
11-07-2014, 07:17 PM
UM, What?

You cannot take a handgun out of your dwelling unless it is locked for transport to somewhere legal to shoot it (or other transportation like mailing it etc)

You step outside your dwelling with a handgun in anything other than a locked box with a trigger lock on it and you are screwed.

so you read the first three lines then commented?
did you read the rest, then double check the laws, FA, and CC?

when you do so you will see the guidelines written are correct, to the class of firearms ( handguns) permitted. Non-firearms, antique.

I walk out of the door onto the porch, fire 12 cylinders from two handguns, or 20 rnds from an internal / integral magazine handgun, at the 30 - 300 yrd targets set up to plink at from the porch bench rest target setup, i have handguns holstered while on horseback, or on the quad cruising around the property, or even up into the mountains ( crown land, ranch grazing land ), or out on wilderness job sites, all 100% legal.

-no requirement for wilderness protection permit ( usually in regards to restricted class handguns)
-no requirement for ATC 1,2,3. ( pertainable to restricted and prohibited class handguns )
when pertaining to the aforementioned specific class ( non-firearm, antique ) that each and every canadian is permitted.

nicklisa
04-18-2017, 01:19 AM
in this ** country we cant do alot of things like protectin your home and family with leathal force, which even jesus himself said it was an ok thing to do.

SIR VEYOR
04-18-2017, 03:09 AM
so you read the first three lines then commented?
did you read the rest, then double check the laws, FA, and CC?

when you do so you will see the guidelines written are correct, to the class of firearms ( handguns) permitted. Non-firearms, antique.

How about you stop the CGN style pot stirring, and just put antique before handgun above your list. Keeps things to reasonable debate and helps keep visiting Americans and others out of trouble?

That'd be great mmmmmmkay?

Steveo9mm
04-18-2017, 04:04 AM
holy dead thread batman

Cavs42
04-18-2017, 04:40 AM
http://www.swordforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128837&stc=1&d=1404916780

Haywire1
04-18-2017, 08:22 AM
How about you stop the CGN style pot stirring, and just put antique before handgun above your list. Keeps things to reasonable debate and helps keep visiting Americans and others out of trouble?

That'd be great mmmmmmkay?

He said that 3 years ago, i think he let it go....

speedloader
04-18-2017, 08:41 AM
Being ashamed has nothing to do with it non of us are
its the stupidity of a liberal society that's scared of them because of myth and widespread BS
and I mean that in every sense of the word we are treated as criminals here
because conveniently they have forgotten how this country was defended and fed by its law abiding citizens
but that's a fact so it doesn't count.

Steveo9mm
04-18-2017, 08:51 AM
what ever happened to this guy anyways. the most bizzare posts ever

LB303
04-18-2017, 09:41 AM
that tag line is almost a quote from Zeitgeist...maybe he's gone off-grid

CLW .45
04-18-2017, 10:22 AM

Nonsense.

Carriage, open and concealed, is permitted under section 20 of the firearms act.

One must have an authorization to carry to protect life or for use in connection with one's occupation or profession.

The authorization will specify whether you may carry openly or concealed.

That authorization is available to anyone with a firearms licence that authorizes possession of restricted firearms / prohibited handguns who has taken appropriate training in knowledge of use of force and proficiency.

But, only if the CFO believes that you "need" the firearm for that purpose.

Into the mid eighties and beyond, most American jurisdictions required permission to carry concealed and the requirement to demonstrate "need" was used, as it is used in Canada, to deny access to the provision.

Only a few American jurisdictions still require one to demonstrate need, and we must continue to push for removal of that vile requirement in Canada.

CLW .45
04-18-2017, 10:24 AM
UM, What?

He is talking about antiques, which have a different set of rules.

CLW .45
04-18-2017, 10:25 AM
-On crown land
-on your property.
-you can shoot the specific class of open carryable handguns anywhere it is legal to discharge firearms ( basically non-restricted class ) i.e. on crown land or on your property( of course permitting such property is a safe area to do so, in accordance to laws.)
transportation of as well as storage firearms in transit laws and guidelines are applicable.
having copies of status in regard to non-firearm classed firearm, as well as laws pertaining, should be accompanied at all times.

the specifics remain that the firearm class resides in the non-firearm ( antique) designation and class according to firearms act ( as well as the go and not go calibers), and CC.
so in canada, that narrows it down to handguns ( serial numbers from manufacturers ) dating up to dec 31 1897, 23:59:59 hrs.
( many handgun frames or serialized component, were manufactured prior to this date of cut-off date, however, assembled several years after the date )

although antiques are classed non-firearms, by law,.. in canada, the rule of thumb, also to avoid confrontation and possible OIC/GIC changes for the responsible public, is to not open carry such class of handgun in public and in the public's eyes pushing the only allowable avenue for canadians, to have the instance to be taken away.

This of course does not include the ATC 1,2,3 permits of those individuals that are permitted to concealed or open carry restricted and/or prohibited class handguns, which is canada's permit to carry modern firearms/ handguns legally.

not at all, it's enjoyable, although doing so is under stricter regulations, social rules, and discretion than it is in the U.S.

There is no such thing as an ATC 1,2,3.

Haywire1
04-18-2017, 10:54 AM
what ever happened to this guy anyways. the most bizzare posts ever

He pops up from time to time with useless eye searing posts and then disappears for a while.

GTW
04-18-2017, 02:46 PM
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc225/Kenori_Merrik/Necro.jpg?1283448398

SIR VEYOR
04-18-2017, 02:57 PM
http://www.swordforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128837&stc=1&d=1404916780

He said that 3 years ago, i think he let it go....

I got caught by the necro revival with the new post button.

But, I've been in a mood where I don't mind god killing kittens. I'm tempted to go kick puppies. It'll pass....

Haywire1
04-18-2017, 03:05 PM
New post button will do that to ya :D

Booletsnotreactwell
04-19-2017, 07:28 AM
He pops up from time to time with useless eye searing posts and then disappears for a while.

Sometimes it's some vegan student from Ryerson University making a paper about gun violence, other times it's the RCMP, or some other government agency.

I've seen far too many "stock posts" as I call them. Stuff designed to insinuate something or provoke a certain responses that I don't think it's anti trolls anymore. That and a little internet detective work I've done would substantiate my claim, maybe not 100% but there's too many coincidences. Not saying this particular case is that but it's definitely present here on the gun boards.

Go ask Specter Arms what the RCMP thinks of the right wing firearm owners moon label types, your considered a threat right bellow ISIS. This particular topic for example always gets the hardcore guys all riled up, it's perfect for a phishing expedition.

Waterloomike
04-19-2017, 08:41 AM
Amen, bnrw. (acronym) for Booletsnotreactwell. I don't usually read them, but since it had 3 pages, I did, first and last post anyway.

My sister lives in Arkansas and she says people pack every where. Even my little sis has a purse gun.

So, imho, this sounds phishy.

deerbeargrouse
04-19-2017, 09:58 PM
I don't bend over to pickup a soap bar.

Just saying ...... ;)

Waterloomike
04-20-2017, 01:17 AM

Just saying ...... ;)

There's no need to worry about that in my shower.

GTW
04-21-2017, 02:02 PM

Just saying ...... ;)
Esp in San Francisco. If u drop the soap, kick it to Oakland!!!!:la:

KB_TheDireWolf
05-04-2017, 11:49 AM
forget it

normmus
05-04-2017, 12:41 PM
Depends on where said truck is.

Cavs42
05-04-2017, 02:50 PM
Well, I live in the city. I cannot store a gun in my own home due to my mom not allowing it. However, I have agreed to store it with my uncle. If I want to clean because I cannot find a space would it be okay to do it out of the bed of my truck?

Provided that I follow the PROVE method of course.

Weren't you going to take a break from firearms forum posts after you landed yourself in hot water with the RCMP over posts on CGN?

I understand your situation, and I understand your desire to learn the regulations, but as a general rule, the more you attract attention to yourself, the more attention (good and bad) you're likely to get.

If you don't have a place where you can clean your rifle (like where it's stored at your uncle's), wait until you can find a suitable place. Hanging out on the side of the road cleaning your rifle in your truck is likely to get the attention of a lot of passerby.

KB_TheDireWolf
05-04-2017, 09:51 PM
Weren't you going to take a break from firearms forum posts after you landed yourself in hot water with the RCMP over posts on CGN?

I understand your situation, and I understand your desire to learn the regulations, but as a general rule, the more you attract attention to yourself, the more attention (good and bad) you're likely to get.

If you don't have a place where you can clean your rifle (like where it's stored at your uncle's), wait until you can find a suitable place. Hanging out on the side of the road cleaning your rifle in your truck is likely to get the attention of a lot of passersby. No, it was local police not RCMP and I didn't get in trouble. Just was making sure everything checked out with me. It was imformal as it can get man, just talked with me in the parking lot lol. I am only asking. I can find a place man, just saying in theory. On gun post, yeah. I am not going to be making any threds only replying to them if I feel the need, like here:http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?37785-Trigger-Locks&p=481084#post481084. I just got nothing better to do while sitting in class listen to my social teacher talk lol.

Cavs42
05-05-2017, 07:35 PM
No, it was local police not RCMP and I didn't get in trouble. Just was making sure everything checked out with me. It was imformal as it can get man, just talked with me in the parking lot lol. I am only asking. I can find a place man, just saying in theory. On gun post, yeah. I am not going to be making any threds only replying to them if I feel the need, like here:http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?37785-Trigger-Locks&p=481084#post481084. I just got nothing better to do while sitting in class listen to my social teacher talk lol.

Good enough man, I just don't want you to cause yourself any headaches.

spider69
05-27-2017, 09:49 AM
Open carry is absolutely legal in Canada. All you need is a license and a job that requires being armed. No problem.

Justice
05-27-2017, 09:57 AM
"...it was local police..." Doesn't matter. The OP is 4 years old too.

Haywire1
05-27-2017, 06:05 PM
"...it was local police..." Doesn't matter. The OP is 4 years old too.

It does when someone is correcting a misunderstanding. And who gives a shit how old the op was, considering people have been commenting in the thread this month.....