PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to take the hunting safety course before applying for my PAL

Redman
11-07-2014, 04:31 PM
Hey Next week I am taking my non restricted course safety course. I was wondering how the licensing worked for PAL. At first I only plan on getting a rifle to practice target shooting. But I'm sure eventually as money becomes more available lol I will probably like to get a restricted firearm. So I thought to myself I should just do the restricted course also before applying for the PAL. Eventually I'm sure I will want to go hunting is it something that can be just added to my file or will I have to spend money and reply for another license?
Thanks for your time.

Drache
11-07-2014, 04:56 PM
No you just take the PAL course (or just challenge the test until Harper's New bill comes in).

Redman
11-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Ok thanks. Also I don't get your comment on Harper's bill I am ignorant of that subject.

Drache
11-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Harper is putting forth a bill to do with firearms ownership. Part of that bill states that people will no longer be allowed to challenge the PAL exam, they must pay and take the entire course.

RangeBob
11-07-2014, 06:36 PM
The CFSC (Canadian Firearms Safety Course) is required before you can apply for your PAL.
If you pass the CRFSC (Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course), your PAL is modified to have the word "restricted" available under both Possession and Acquisition categories -- meaning you can buy restricted firearms.
Many people take the CFSC and the CRFSC together, so their first PAL includes both non-restricted and restricted.
The instructor of the CFSC/CRFSC will send a copy of your test results to the Canadian Firearms Program, and you will also send a copy(s).
The PAL is a federal document.

The Hunter Course has no effect on your PAL. I believe its a provincial course in all provinces.

Redman
11-07-2014, 10:14 PM
Perfect thank you.

blacksmithden
11-08-2014, 01:05 AM
The CFSC (Canadian Firearms Safety Course) is required before you can apply for your PAL.
If you pass the CRFSC (Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course), your PAL is modified to have the word "restricted" available under both Possession and Acquisition categories -- meaning you can buy restricted firearms.
Many people take the CFSC and the CRFSC together, so their first PAL includes both non-restricted and restricted.
The instructor of the CFSC/CRFSC will send a copy of your test results to the Canadian Firearms Program, and you will also send a copy(s).
The PAL is a federal document.

The Hunter Course has no effect on your PAL. I believe its a provincial course in all provinces.

Nope. Until the "Common sense firearms legislation" passes, which it has not yet, you can still challenge either exam without actually sitting through the course.

Redman
11-08-2014, 06:19 AM
It doesn't bother me to take a course but what would the challenge be?

Petamocto
11-08-2014, 06:41 AM
The aim of the safety course is to teach you about firearms, and show you how to use them safely. At the end of that course there is a practical test when you must demonstrate that you know how to use them safely. They'll put several types of guns in front of you, and you'll have to safely handle them all (proving them safe, loads, unloads, knowing which type/calibre of ammo goes in each, etc)

When you "challenge" the course, you skip the lessons, pay less, and only do the practical test at the end. Think of it like taking Driver's Ed to learn how to drive, and then taking your test to get your Driver's License, or if you already know how to drive, you can just go take the test and skip Driver's Ed.

If you are new to firearms, though, I strongly recommend that you do take the full safety course. Not only will they teach you about things like safe storage, the classification system, and different types of firearms, you'll actually get hands-on experience. It's well worth it. Your aim should be to be a responsible gun owner who knows what you're doing, not just to get a PAL.

Gaidheal
11-08-2014, 06:42 AM
"Challenge" here means write the test without taking the course. If you are comfortable with that do it fast.

RangeBob
11-08-2014, 04:17 PM
The aim of the safety course is to teach you about firearms, and show you how to use them safely. At the end of that course there is a practical test when you must demonstrate that you know how to use them safely. They'll put several types of guns in front of you, and you'll have to safely handle them all (proving them safe, loads, unloads, knowing which type/calibre of ammo goes in each, etc)
Actually it's a bit of history, a few firearms types, and how to load/unload. Rather than how to use them safely -- which would require you to fire/carry the guns in a variety of environments.
It's not so much "proving them safe" but "proving them unloaded".

If you are new to firearms, though, I strongly recommend that you do take the full safety course. Not only will they teach you about things like safe storage, the classification system, and different types of firearms, you'll actually get hands-on experience. It's well worth it. Your aim should be to be a responsible gun owner who knows what you're doing, not just to get a PAL.Yep.
I discovered I hate loading gates. (Ironically, I'm considering buying a pair)

Redman
11-08-2014, 06:12 PM
Ah ok I wish I knew that earlier I paid for the course already it's in french (I live in Quebec) but they said I could do the test in English. Ah well there will probably be something I migjt learn.

Petamocto
11-08-2014, 06:30 PM
...It's not so much "proving them safe" but "proving them unloaded".

I'll grant you that, but for the vast majority of people that's 90% of the battle. Unless you're hunting (which you need a separate course for anyway), the only time you should ever have ammo in the firearm is when you're ready to shoot it, anyway.

RangeBob
11-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Manuals:
http://firearmslaw.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/CFSC-Manual.pdf
http://firearmslaw.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/CRFSC-Manual.pdf
The paper ones are easier to read. In Ontario, there was a time they'd snail mail you the CFSC/CRFSC manuals for free, not even postage.

Also
http://www.atlantichuntered.ca/lessons/huntered.pdf

Haywire1
11-08-2014, 07:28 PM
Or look in the legalities section. There is a sticky that covers all the links you need. Includine online manuals, practice tests etc. Sorry RB, yer a couple years late this time lol

blacksmithden
11-08-2014, 07:29 PM
BTW...in the title of your thread, you said "hunter safety course". We're all assuming you are talking about the "firearms safety course". At least I think that's what we're all thinking.

A hunter safety course is a totally different thing, and varies from province to province.

Petamocto
11-08-2014, 07:35 PM
I took it to mean that he was asking if he had to take his hunter safety course before the firearms safety course (?)

Maybe because they're often advertised as a combo?

Redman
11-09-2014, 07:18 AM
Well It was more should I take he hunting course before apply fory PAL. Wondering that if I didn't would I have to re apply again in the future to update my license should I choose to start hunting. People answered I do not have to. And then the conversation shifted because someine suggested the possibility of chanllenging the course and I didn't know what that meant. I will be taking the non restricted course since I paid for it already. And I will take the restricted course for since I've only had one day of shooting hand guns. I want to make sure I can learn more so as to be properly informed and safe. Thanks everyone this is my first post and has been good to read all the info shared.

Petamocto
11-09-2014, 07:52 AM
Great idea and I commend you for not trying to fast forward through something that should be taken seriously.

You definitely do have to take an extra course at some point though if you ever want to hunt anything. That's called the hunter safety course, and even after that you have to go through extra hoops depending on the types of animals you'll be shooting.

Redman
11-09-2014, 08:39 AM
Thanks I will also have to find a animal that I really like to eat. Wouldn't shoot it just for fun.

Mad Hatter
11-09-2014, 12:27 PM
A hunter safety course is a totally different thing, and varies from province to province.

I just finished my AB Hunter's Ed Course. Learned a lot. Much better to take a class with real people and real instructors as you will learn more and learn better. I'm big on classroom. IMO just challenging a test doesn't give you everything you need to know. Would you want a 16 year old who has never been behind the wheel of a car to challenge the test, pass it and then go on the street without any practical instruction?

Haywire1
11-09-2014, 02:41 PM
If the hunters ed course, or the cfsc had the same amount of useful info as the driver training course it would be amazing. While I will accept that the hunters ed course has useful info for those who have never hunted, or been outdoors, or taken a basic first aid course, the cfsc is full of errors, misinformation, as well as many factual errors.

And being in a classroom does not equal good training either. The instructor cabelas hired to teach the csfc course informed the class that using a pistol mag in a rifle was illegal, nr firearms need to be trigger locked at all times, and transported in a locked case, it was illegal to shokt on crown land without a hunting license, I spent more time going over the correct laws and regulations with my wife than she spent in the course

Mad Hatter
11-09-2014, 03:46 PM
If the hunters ed course, or the cfsc had the same amount of useful info as the driver training course it would be amazing. While I will accept that the hunters ed course has useful info for those who have never hunted, or been outdoors, or taken a basic first aid course, the cfsc is full of errors, misinformation, as well as many factual errors.

And being in a classroom does not equal good training either. The instructor cabelas hired to teach the csfc course informed the class that using a pistol mag in a rifle was illegal, nr firearms need to be trigger locked at all times, and transported in a locked case, it was illegal to shokt on crown land without a hunting license, I spent more time going over the correct laws and regulations with my wife than she spent in the course

Point taken. But then there are the good cfsc instructors like I had; ex- Calgary cop and prison guard, currently a gun owner, raised in the NWT, hunted all his life... Guess I just had a good experience.

Edward Teach
12-04-2014, 12:58 PM
I took the hunter course after getting my PAL and because I already had it, I didn't have to do the gun handling portion of the hunting exam. This was in BC.