PDA

View Full Version : Best shotgun for skeet/3 gun

Gunny_Guns
11-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Looking at purchasing a new shotgun in the next little while and I want to find out the best universal shotgun? I am aware of the mossberg 500 that changes barrels, but I prefer to stay away from them.

Thoughts?

zulu
11-09-2014, 12:16 AM
870s can change barrels as well. Although I don't know too much about three gun. I do plan on it one day I like the 870 just because I already own it and can change the 18 inch barrel for a bird barrel depending on what I'm doing. Most shotguns have this though and I think the really competitive use semis.

DOA
11-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Depends on what you like and how competitive you want to be. I prefer an over/under for clay but only ever shoot clay at the farm, not competition. I currently use an 870 tactical for 3gun, it works on clay but not ideal and I don't like the pump for it. I think a semi with an inbetween length barrel, 24"?, would be good for both. I'm looking at the Mossberg 930JMPRO

Strewth
11-09-2014, 11:07 AM
Best, money no object?
Benelli M2 Field, 21" bbl, and get a Nordic mag tube extension for 3-gun?

http://www.eurooptic.com/images/headers/Benelli-M2.jpg

Nice vent rib to sight down, middle barrel length, threaded for chokes, and it's a Benelli with a Comfy-Tech stock?

FlyingHigh
11-09-2014, 12:05 PM
What's wrong with the Mossberg 500? Good, solid, reliable guns for an excellent price.

I have a Mossberg Maverick 88 that has interchangeable barrels. It would be the "budget" 500 model so to speak. Lighter receiver, safety on the trigger as opposed to the tang and a different action bar system. Cost me about $250 brand new.

However, it's got over 6000 rounds through it. I haven't actually cleaned it beyond a wipe down of the exterior since the 3000 round mark, give or take a bit. Closest I came to cleaning it was taking it in the shower with me and rinsing it off after dunking it underwater and mud in northern Alberta muskeg, which I did on purpose. Yup, it still fired and functioned flawlessly full of crap in the action etc. This gun has reached legendary status among those in my shooting groups. I'd pit it against an 870 or any other pump shotgun any day of the week. My only complaint, if you can call it that, is it doesn't really cycle Winchester ammo very well. Not a big deal to me, since I hate Winchester ammo anyways.

My other go to is a Mossberg 590A1. It's a heavy beast, 8 shot magazine, heavy wall barrel, ghost ring sights. I'll put slugs on a IPSC style target from 100m offhand all day long. It's a born and bred combat shotgun. I wouldn't bother shooting skeet with it although I'm sure it would be just fine for the shorter shots.

For 3 gun I'd run either my Maverick or 590A1. For skeet, I'd put the 28" barrel on the Maverick and have at 'er. However, if I were to buy a dedicated upland bird/skeet gun, it would likely be a Beretta 686 over under.

JasonJK
11-09-2014, 01:23 PM
I bought a 22" 930JMPro and love it, put closet to 250 rounds through it on its first day with my son shooting clays and it was accurate and I had no issues
I would recommend it.

JustBen
11-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Skeet and 3gun are completely different games. It's hard to get one gun that will be perfect for both.

Ideally, you would have a nice side by side or over under for skeet, and a quick swinging semi auto for 3 gun. For the best compromise, I would go with a semi auto. The Remington 11-87 comes to mind, as they can handle both heavy and light loads as well as a swappable barrel. The heavy and light loads is important for 3 gun, because you might have to shoot target loads and slugs in the same round.

If you cannot afford the 11-87, and they do run a fair bit, especially for the second barrel, look at going with a solid pump like a remington 870. The pump will slow you down a bit on the 3gun course, and quite a bit on the skeet range.

superbad
02-07-2015, 01:29 AM
best 3 gun shotguns are, fn tactical. benelli m2. remington versamax tactical. good 3 gun shotguns are jm 930 ,stoeger m3000 ( benelli m2 copy ), then mossy 590s and 870s. an 870 in the right hands with some mods can run super fast and in canada has an unlimited magazine capacity. start with 10 plus 1 vs 5 plus 1 or 8 plus 1 in uspsa matches here if you want to play in tac ops division. in the US i would run a benelli m2 with nordic extension, or versaxmax tactical for tac ops. open is just way too funky, too many mag fed shotguns and funky contraptions.