PDA

View Full Version : Project Mosin Nagant Meets Bubba!!! I held off for a year, but today SHTF! LOL

mlehto
05-14-2012, 12:16 PM
The Story:

So about a year ago I started a thread over at the other place, considering chopping a Mosin Nagant 91/30 to turn it into a short barrelled camping gun.

I figure what the hell? It's a cheap gun, that I wouldn't be too scared to hack, and if it didn't work out, who cares, I got a wall hanger for $100.

Well apparently such talk is blasphemous and the 91/30's apparently hold some historic value despite them being only $100. I did however get a bunch of suggestions to look into a Mosin Nagant M38, or M44 as they were already short barrels, and it would save me the hassle of having to cut and crown the barrel, as well as move the front sight.

Problem is the price of a decent shape M44 was at least double the 91/30's, and the M38's were just nowhere to be found.

So I emailed Epps just for a quote about the work done to chop and crown the barrel, and replace the front sight, and got an email from Kevin(Harrier 45) over on CGN saying that he had a good condition Polish M44, but the barrel was full of crap, and looks like it had been left sitting for years. He said the metal and wood were in very good condition but he feared the barrel may not be, but wouldn't know till they cleaned it up, and put it in their system.

Here is the kicker. He then went on to offer me the gun for $175 as is, without cleaning the barrel. If cleaned up it was in good shape he said he would be pricing it closer to $250, so I figured what the hell, I would take the chance.

Got it a few days later and was amazed at the condition externally, but like Kevin said the bore was full of crap. 2 hours later I was pleasantly surprised to find what I would consider a good bore! ;) A little pitted, but even roughness, not any deep pitting at all, and still shiny! :D

Anyways I liked it so much and it was in such good shape I couldn't bring myself to do anything to it, and left it in original condition for the first few months, untouched.

So as time went buy I began to not like the yellowish wood colour on these Polish Mosin's, and wanted a more Red wood like most of the Russian style guns out there. I stained the stock a beautiful red and clear coated it for protection, as this was to be a bush gun after all.

My plan this whole time was to chop the bayonet, but I just couldn't do it. At least not then. Actually almost a year has gone by, until today when I finally got the balls! :) I was gonna trade it for an SKS, but figured since I already had a couple hundred rounds of 7.62x54 surplus in the basement, and this thing makes huge fireballs, it was just more fun.

Anyways today the Dremel kit, and Outters Cold Blue went to work, and an obnoxious bayonet has been removed, making this thing a great little camp carbine. I also have to say I was very impressed with the Outters, and how well it worked. I think the next project will be re-bluing the barrel on my Swedish Mauser which has already met Bubba. LOL

Not bad for $175 and a little work!!! :D

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/mlehtovaara/Snapbucket/6C2CC5A1-orig.jpg

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/mlehtovaara/Snapbucket/977AFB6C-orig.jpg

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/mlehtovaara/Snapbucket/9479DE12-orig.jpg

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/mlehtovaara/Snapbucket/D7756C35-orig.jpg

Redhouse
05-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Nice piece o work you got there!

RobSmith
05-14-2012, 12:29 PM
I too have one of those Polish M44's, gotta love those fireballs and the NOISE, the thing looks and sounds like heavy artillery when you fire it, especially with yellow-tipped "heavy ball" when I can find some ... Recoil-wise it tends to be a bit of a "tenderizing" experience, but worth every penny ...

mlehto
05-14-2012, 12:38 PM
I am going to modify the rear sight as we speak to bring down the POI.

Just gonna remove some metal on the underside of the rear sight to bring it down a bit.

Seams like an overall better method then adding to the front sight.

Having fun on the day off with the dremel!! :) How did anyone ever get buy without one? LOL

Garetsu
05-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Wow, very nice! Looks brand new at this point, hahah. Awesome work, and well worth what you paid for that. Seeing how good all that looks, makes me want to do a complete refinish on my 91/30!

Rory McCanuck
05-14-2012, 01:48 PM
I know they supposed to be the same thing, but
something about those Poles makes them prettier
than all the rest.
Can you give us a close up of the hack n chop job?
I've been jumping back and forth about doing something
similar to mine.

How does it shoot?
Mine would hit a pizza box with surplus, and an 8x11 paper
with S&B 180gr. I wasn't real excited about the gun
until I started handloading for it. Now I'm getting 1" @50
regularly.
A bunch of H335 makes a BIG fireball :)

mlehto
05-14-2012, 01:56 PM
She shoots pretty well.

I have only been shooting at 50m, as she shoots pretty high at 100m, and it's hard to put them on paper.

I have been getting 2-3 inch groups at 50 no problem with the irons, and that is having to aim 6 inches low to get on target.

mlehto
05-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Here is a close up of what I did:

Just removing the bayonet is easy, but the 2 lugs, it attaches to and locks in have to be chopped off.

These guys:

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/mlehtovaara/Snapbucket/1080A7D8-orig.jpg

Basically just unscrewed the Bayo, and used a cutoff bit, and some grinding stones to remove the 2 lugs, and make it smooth. I was gonna round it off, but there is a Pin holding the whole front sight, bayonet lug, assembly on, and I didn't want to grind away at the pin. I ended up just making it flat, and polishing up the surface a bit so the bluing would look good. Nicked the barrel a couple times with the grinding bit, so had to dab some cold blue on those spots as well.

Doesn't look too bad though, even close up. ;)

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/mlehtovaara/Snapbucket/623F545B-orig.jpg

50calshooter
05-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Thats a damn nice rifle you got there!

Rory McCanuck
05-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the close-up, that came out really nice.

road kill
05-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Looking good. The trick as i see it to modifying an old military rifle is to use one with non matching #.

lt dan
05-16-2012, 10:02 AM
impressive!

mlehto
05-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Feels good putting a little work into an old gun, and making it yours.

Now for the range to see if it still shoots to POA.

Cheers,
Mlehto