PDA

View Full Version : Loctite on SVT40.

greywolf67nt
11-11-2014, 05:53 PM
The gas cylinder keeps working its way loose on my SVT.
Does anyone think a little Loctite would hurt anything?

Strewth
11-11-2014, 09:04 PM
Do you mean the gas piston(which makes no sense to me as it's stationary)? The part that screws in the rear of the gas block that the cup slides over? ....I can't see why not...although I would definitely recommend a sparing dab of blue, so it can come apart again. How do you tighten it after cleaning? I crank it tight with the gas tool? Hand tight only worked for me if I was shooting 20-30 rounds?

greywolf67nt
11-11-2014, 09:44 PM
The part that screws into the gas block that the cup fits over.
I have cranked on it with my SVT tool but 10 rounds later I have FTE and FTF problems.
Someone else suggested some plumbers tape. Would it melt with the heat from the gas system?

Rory McCanuck
11-11-2014, 10:20 PM
Plumber's tape is also called teflon tape.
The teflon is there for the same reason that they make pans out of it, it's slippery.
Pipe threads are cut on a taper, so a bit of lube allows you to screw them together a bit more, making a mechanical seal.
Teflon tape does not seal holes.

A good impromptu thread locker is fingernail polish.
Easy to take apart later, but it holds alright.
I swear blue locktite is only good for keeping threads clean so it all comes apart easily.

greywolf67nt
11-11-2014, 11:02 PM
I think I have it solved.
If I turn the setting down it loosens the gas cylinder.
SO to fix that if I want to turn it down one notch I actually have to turn it up 4 notches. That way, because they are on opposite sides of the block I am actually tightening the cylinder.

livewire0129
11-12-2014, 01:37 AM
The part that screws into the gas block that the cup fits over.
I have cranked on it with my SVT tool but 10 rounds later I have FTE and FTF problems.
Someone else suggested some plumbers tape. Would it melt with the heat from the gas system?

FTF problems wouldnt be caused by the gas system. I am also having FTF problems with my svt with surplus ammo. Some of the primers are seated deep, and I'm getting light strikes.

Doug_M
11-12-2014, 06:07 AM
Having figured out what gas setting works with mine and the ammo I have, I set it after cleaning and then torque the piston on with a small wrench. No problems but then again I am not adjusting the gas setting after the fact.

If you want to loctite it I'd recommend getting a stainless steel piston if you're going to shoot corrosive. Then you won't have to take it apart as often.

kennymo
11-12-2014, 06:14 AM
FTF problems wouldnt be caused by the gas system. I am also having FTF problems with my svt with surplus ammo. Some of the primers are seated deep, and I'm getting light strikes.

FTF can also be fail to feed.

Doug_M
11-12-2014, 08:58 AM
FTF might be solved by newer springs. Along with the stainless piston and cup I got new springs (they're sold out of springs but: http://www.ppsh41.com/SVTitems.html). The springs eliminated my FTF problems. May solve your light primer strikes too if the bolt is not being fully driven home.

greywolf67nt
11-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Thank you folks for the advice.
It wasnt cycling properly in the first place, I think a result of the cylinder being loose and gas escaping, but now I know what setting it needs to be on then cranking down the cylinder works beautifully.

livewire0129
11-13-2014, 08:37 AM
FTF can also be fail to feed. Of course! There are too many acronyms in the gun community!

bp2626
12-14-2014, 03:35 PM
The gas cylinder should be loosened before you adjust the gas regulator and then tightened afterward, that's why you were having problems.

If you continue to adjust the gas regulator with a tightened gas cylinder, it will work loose faster and will strip / loosen the entire system.

CAINESY
12-16-2014, 08:27 PM
I'm curious, would Loctite handle that type of heat and/or pressure?