PDA

View Full Version : Kraft Dinner

greywolf67nt
11-30-2014, 03:22 PM
Just wondering what everyone adds to their boxed macaroni and cheese?
Our family favourite is chopped up weiners or bacon.

FALover
11-30-2014, 03:27 PM
After I prepare the KD, I add a can of Stagg hot chili.

blacksmithden
11-30-2014, 03:48 PM
Sometimes I add parmesean cheeze.....you know....just to make sure the salt content is high enough. :) Honestly, I dont really like the stuff much myself. The kids would eat it for every meal if we let them. I recently found it on sale at the Walmart in Edson Alberta for 68 cents a box...no limit. Since the stuff is indestructable and we'll use it eventually, I bought 144 boxes if I remember right. Might as well stock up for a couple years when you find it cheap.

FlyingHigh
11-30-2014, 03:54 PM
I voted never. Mainly cause I refuse to eat that crap. I hate that stuff so much.

However, I do like Epicure's mac and cheese mix. It's way better. Just alot more expensive.

lone-wolf
11-30-2014, 04:01 PM
I don't like it much, but I try to make it using whipping cream iirc instead of milk.
Added bacon is preferred.

Home made cheese sauce is better. I make and put on meatballs. Cheesy meatball goodness.

greywolf67nt
11-30-2014, 04:24 PM
Okay I don't eat it very much either just KD in the title cuz everyone knows what KD is.
We actually prefer the Presidents Choice white cheddar one if we have to.
Living between Butt F$%& and You Got a Pretty Mouth, NWT we don't have much choice so you gotta learn to rev things up.

road kill
11-30-2014, 05:11 PM
I didn't vote as i don't buy that crap. I make my own and it's much better than any KD i had to eat as a kid.

mavrik9
11-30-2014, 05:28 PM
Three under three in my house, I see a lot more of that stuff in my future. Tuna, chilly, hotdogs/smokies, or bacon are the add ins. And no voting on tap talk.

Strewth
11-30-2014, 05:41 PM
Kids yes, with ketchup. Adults, not so much. No measuring though? Boil in water until soft, drain, splash of milk, add cheeze powder.

wolver
11-30-2014, 06:12 PM
I don't use milk, just margarine or butter. I like it thick. I also add chopped up onions and celery, if handy.
PC White Cheddar is my favourite Mac 'n Cheese.

Greenman
11-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Hamburger , which I cooked with a bit of soy sauce and onions.

Forbes/Hutton
11-30-2014, 06:34 PM
I don't do KD, I do do the President's Choice white cheddar and mac. I add parmesan, cheddar and some mustard powder. I get the "normal" consistency with the margarine, milk and powder, the stuff I add thickens it up and then I add a little milk as needed to thin it back down.

tigrr
11-30-2014, 09:08 PM
K D by the case!! Stove top stuffing such by the case. For the days when you don't want a potato.

mrg372k9
11-30-2014, 09:35 PM
Usually a can of tuna with some franks

Rory McCanuck
12-01-2014, 03:08 AM
Stick some frozen weiners in the water as it is heating up. Crank up the cast iron pan. Water boils, add KD, put weiners into pan and slice thin. Flip them all after 5 minutes, and all nicely browned once the noodles are done. Toss them into the pot, add 73 squirts of Frank's and some fresh ground black pepper, parmesan if I think of it, and snarf it down.

Loved it as a kid, lived on it as a young bachelor, and still enjoy it.

bramptonmike
12-01-2014, 04:45 AM
That stuff is NOT allowed in my household.....i'd stare before eating that crap!

Armorman
12-01-2014, 06:31 AM
I don't mind it once in a blue moon. Actually I prefer it the next day after it sat in the fridge over night. Nuke it nice and warm and add some ketchup!

Sent via Tapatalk

Candychikita
12-01-2014, 11:11 AM
Heh. Any of those boxed mac n cheese is a base to start from, key ingredients in that space cheese mix have at least cheese and garlic powder. No to measuring. FH you're a princess with your Epicure seasoning mix.

I started making a ghetto meal using KD and leftovers that were too stingy to make a full 2nd meal. The kids love it, family loves it and ...company asks for it. Every time I make salmon, the next day is "Fish Pasta" now

"The Fish Pasta"

Cooked salmon, shredded + couple handfuls of prawns, tails off + diced peppers + diced onions. (Corn and diced carrots works too) Fry til hot and onions are clear, set aside

Olive oil, glob butter + garlic. Fry till it smells like garlic
Little cornstarch (add water to make paste so that your thickener isn't clumpy)
2 cups-ish milk
Shredded cheese (cheddar normally) Should be hot enough for your cheese to melt
Oregano, savory, black pepper, parsley, pinch of sugar...think that's it.
Parmesan
Add your cheese mix

Add your salmon, prawns, veg
Serve on the cooked noodles with garlic bread

kennymo
12-01-2014, 11:13 AM
Went off KD after a couple years of practically surviving off bulk cases as a batchelor. I don't mind it every once in a while now, usually add some real grated cheese into the mix to thicken things up a bit. Goes great with slices of smoky dog or a thin farmer sausage too. I hear I might have a shot at a moose camp next fall too, probably wind up going through a few boxes up North, lol.

mlehto
12-01-2014, 07:48 PM
Spam, or Bacon for me... ;)

The trick to KD is slightly undercooking the noodles... So much better when it has a little bit of life in the noodles, and isn't just much.

kennymo
12-01-2014, 11:45 PM
Spam, or Bacon for me... ;)

The trick to KD is slightly undercooking the noodles... So much better when it has a little bit of life in the noodles, and isn't just much.

X2 on the al dente. (Hope that's spelt right)

Edward Teach
12-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Cut a slab off a block of butter and chuck it in once it's been drained and the noodles are still hot. Measure? Pah!

snoopycda
12-03-2014, 11:39 PM
I add sour cream instead of milk, stewed tomatoes if I want to be different, maybe whatever meat is left over in the fridge.
Cheese, milk and noodles are not an insult to your dignity. Lighten-up. Francis.

Shalimar
12-07-2014, 09:14 AM
Just wondering what everyone adds to their boxed macaroni and cheese?
Our family favourite is chopped up weiners or bacon.

Using the PC branded "white cheddar" box instead.. add the milk and butter.. and then mix in some 14% sour cream and/or cream cheese and top with chopped chives or green onions ;D

PS: I've also been known to add bacon bits as well if I have bacon handy at the time. ;D (bacon)

tigrr
12-07-2014, 07:43 PM
On tonight's menu is woodstove stewed rabbit with potato, carrot, onion, seasoned with garlic and basil. Tomorrow it is leftovers with KD. LIG

Steveo9mm
12-08-2014, 02:27 AM
adding milk to kraft mac and cheese is a sin

Gaidheal
12-08-2014, 05:59 AM
adding milk to kraft mac and cheese is a sin

Better milk than ketchup

:vmad

Shalimar
12-08-2014, 08:41 AM
Better milk than ketchup

:vmad

No kidding.. I know a few ppl that do that.. :smash:

tigrr
12-08-2014, 10:50 AM
ketchup on next day KD is ok though. it knocks back the oil slick a bit. not every time, sometimes just extra salt and we are good.
Rabbits have a lot of small bones near the spine. Might rethink stewing them till they fall apart again. Cut all the meat off the bones then stew them.
Shake and bake rabbit is best.

Shalimar
12-08-2014, 04:21 PM
ketchup on next day KD is ok though. it knocks back the oil slick a bit. not every time, sometimes just extra salt and we are good.
Rabbits have a lot of small bones near the spine. Might rethink stewing them till they fall apart again. Cut all the meat off the bones then stew them.
Shake and bake rabbit is best.

tis y I don't use KD brand.. and hmm snb rabbit.. I havn't had rabbit now in a coons age.. argh.. will have to obtain one and a good recipe now!

btw.. KD for my wife's lunch today.. rotinni noodles.. with package of Velveeta cheese sauce... it was a quick throw together for her on short notice and I had the time so it was edible.

Prince Jimmy
12-08-2014, 04:22 PM
Never use milk....just butter or margarine, for add ins:

Hot Banana Peppers [sliced]
onion. chunks
hot dogs. diced
smokies. diced

For a hunting camp feed, add ground moose, can of mushroom soup and cajun spice to taste......washed down with liberal amounts of cold beer.

Shalimar
12-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Never use milk....just butter or margarine, for add ins:

Hot Banana Peppers [sliced]
onion. chunks
hot dogs. diced
smokies. diced

For a hunting camp feed, add ground moose, can of mushroom soup and cajun spice to taste......washed down with liberal amounts of cold beer.

I'll be sure to take a grater along with me next time I'm moose hunting :la:

lone-wolf
12-08-2014, 05:16 PM
If I'm eating straight KD, I add BBQ sauce.
Regular KD tastes like... nothing.

Grizz
12-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Tuna or Hamburger, Helmans mayo, onions, celery and a pound of fresh jalapeņos with seeds!! Sometimes I add Okra as well

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Some Guy
04-24-2015, 05:02 PM
Never do I ever measure it and I add such wonderful additions like cream cheese, taco beef and franks hot sauce to mine.

FlyingHigh
04-24-2015, 05:36 PM
I thought KD was disgusting enough on it's own but you guys keep coming up with more and more ways to make it even worse! I'm impressed. Cheez wiz, cream cheese, shrimp, mayo.... :Bang head: :D

Some Guy
04-24-2015, 05:43 PM
I thought KD was disgusting enough on it's own but you guys keep coming up with more and more ways to make it even worse! I'm impressed. Cheez wiz, cream cheese, shrimp, mayo.... :Bang head: :D

Well some people do have broke college or Univesity years and other have drunk food cravings. What can I say?

Can't go wrong with bacon in KD

short1
04-24-2015, 05:47 PM
Jeez, Flyinghigh is like that weird kid in school who didn't like anything at the cafeteria. The one you could throw a peanut at and he would explode.

FlyingHigh
04-24-2015, 06:33 PM
Well some people do have broke college or Univesity years and other have drunk food cravings. What can I say?

Can't go wrong with bacon in KD

I'll give you bacon. Bacon improves everything.

My drunk food cravings are generally potato chips. LOL. Never went through the broke college years, been working since I was 17. :P

Jeez, Flyinghigh is like that weird kid in school who didn't like anything at the cafeteria. The one you could throw a peanut at and he would explode.

mmm, peanuts. Love em. :D

The cafeteria at my high school sold A&W burgers (they had some contract with the local A&W), Panago pizza and take out style Chinese food. I like it well enough, when I did bother spending money on it. I spent most of my money on fishing gear instead. LOL

I don't really like cheese, or other really rich foods.

Now I'm gonna really freak you out. I hate gravy too. ;)

lone-wolf
04-24-2015, 07:07 PM
The cafeteria at my high school sold A&W burgers (they had some contract with the local A&W), Panago pizza and take out style Chinese food.

Holy hell, that's the most awesome cafeteria I ever heard of.
Mine had cardboard pizza and over cooked tiny fries.

FlyingHigh
04-24-2015, 07:34 PM
One of the perks of going to a private school. ;)

short1
04-24-2015, 07:41 PM
One of the perks of going to a private school. ;)

That explains a lot actually. Except who goes to private school and ends up being a Welder ???

FlyingHigh
04-24-2015, 08:54 PM
That explains a lot actually. Except who goes to private school and ends up being a Welder ???

The guy who was smart enough to realize that university wasn't for him and trades offered more money and more opportunity without the insane student debt. Also, a guy who didn't find living on KD and Ichiban noodles appealing. ;)

Not planning on staying as a welder though. I honestly hate the job more and more each day. Fortunately it's a stepping stone, a means to an end.

I didn't grow up in a rich family either, if that addresses your "that explains alot" comment. The private school wasn't one of those that costs a hundred grand to attend. My parents just didn't like the way the public school system was educating my brother and I.

greywolf67nt
04-24-2015, 10:38 PM
Now I'm gonna really freak you out. I hate gravy too. ;)e

WHAT?
I don't think we go 2 meals without gravy around our house.
We even make gravy out of the sausage drippings. Add some cream, pepper and thicken and then smother some homemade biscuits in it. Yes it is a heart attack on a plate but OMG it is SO good.

Prairie Dog
04-24-2015, 11:25 PM
^^^^ hamburger gravy is good too.

blacksmithden
04-25-2015, 08:17 AM
Holy hell, that's the most awesome cafeteria I ever heard of.
Mine had cardboard pizza and over cooked tiny fries.

We had the same thing in my high school. I went in there once, looked at what they had to offer, and left. That was grade 9. I think it was grade 11 when I went back in. I think they still had the same stuff..not stuff like the original...the SAME stuff I looked at a few years before ! LOL. I never went back. How bad does the food have to look when a hungry teenager walks away from it ??!?! :p

soulchaser
05-03-2015, 07:32 AM
I don't measure the milk or margarine I put in my KD.

I like it a little thicker but still creamy, NOT runny, so I add a couple slices of Kraft Singles and cut back a bit on the margarine.

Then I add fresh diced onion, fresh chopped mushrooms, fresh diced green pepper, a tablespoon of garlic (2 tbls if making two boxes), dill, parsley and a pinch of fresh cracked black pepper.

RangeBob
05-03-2015, 09:45 AM
I don't measure the milk or margarine I put in my KD.

I like it a little thicker but still creamy, NOT runny, so I add a couple slices of Kraft Singles and cut back a bit on the margarine.

Then I add fresh diced onion, fresh chopped mushrooms, fresh diced green pepper, a tablespoon of garlic (2 tbls if making two boxes), dill, parsley and a pinch of fresh cracked black pepper.

The other concern I have is over customizing Kraft Dinner. I absolutely believe that this needs to be handled by experts. It should not be in the hands of citizens. I love all my colleagues in Canada. I have a great deal of respect for the work done by many, but really, do we want to give people the final authority as the decision maker on customizing in Kraft Dinner? Should that not be done by experts and people in the field who know a lot more? Should it not be done by the food experts at Kraft?
Once again, there is a great deal of concern that we have a zealots that are trying to put more power into the hands of citizens and therefore escape scrutiny. We have seen this in other places as well. This bill would basically transfer authority over ingredients and customizations to citizens rather than putting an emphasis on nutritious food.
-- Jenny Sims, April 2nd, 2015, https://openparliament.ca/bills/41-2/C-42/

If the soulchaser is talking about fresh diced onions, there are other ways to deal with that issue. People have not been made to suffer yet because Kraft has been able to take action by removing food dye of Kraft Dinner. Citizens do not need to turn the whole issue on its head and take the authority for the customizing Kraft Dinner, whether Deluxe, Original or one of the alternate tastes, away from the experts at Kraft, who certainly know what they are doing, and turn that authority over to a bunch of people sitting around a dinner table, or worse probably from the Onion Mushroom Pepper Garlic lobby itself, and give the kids the authority to make the final customizing decision based on taste favouritism, family pressure and other things. Those are the facts.
-- Wayne Easter, April 2nd, 2015, https://openparliament.ca/bills/41-2/C-42/

lone-wolf
05-03-2015, 09:56 AM
Easter has got to go

mooboy76
05-08-2015, 06:47 AM
Well, since we're sharing things we do with KD:

1. make Kraft Dinner as directed - no don't measure anything.

2. Add 1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup, without the water/milk.

3. Enjoy.

To make it fancier and a more complete meal:

2 a. Cook 1lb of ground beef,
2 b. Add 2 cups of frozen peas to the hot beef and stir until cooked to preference.
2 c. Stir KD/mushroom soup combo into beef/pea combo

4. Wonder why you have never tried this awesome meal before.

wolver
05-08-2015, 01:30 PM
OK guys, quit trying to make it a health food.:)

Sabio
05-22-2015, 03:44 PM
Well, since we're sharing things we do with KD:

1. make Kraft Dinner as directed - no don't measure anything.

2. Add 1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup, without the water/milk.

3. Enjoy.

To make it fancier and a more complete meal:

2 a. Cook 1lb of ground beef,
2 b. Add 2 cups of frozen peas to the hot beef and stir until cooked to preference.
2 c. Stir KD/mushroom soup combo into beef/pea combo

4. Wonder why you have never tried this awesome meal before.

I do the mushroom soup and Rice.....