PDA

View Full Version : So what if gun stores keep records?

jwirecom109
05-17-2012, 08:49 AM
The squabble over the federal government legislating an end to the long-gun registry shows few signs of dying down.

Apparently the government, through Public Safety Minister Vic Toews, doesnít even want people who buy firearms to have their names registered by the store, or the serial numbers of rifles recorded.

OPP Supt. Chris Wyatt has been quoted saying, in effect, that if the federal government wants no record of gun owners kept, the government should say so specifically in legislation. Otherwise, why shouldnít stores that sell guns keep a record of who purchases them?

Why the feds are bellyaching over this is beyond reason.

So what if a gun store records the identity of someone purchasing a rifle?

Objecting, or accusing the province of instigating a ďback-doorĒ gun registry to foil the cancellation of a national registry, is just plain silly.

Remember, the long-gun registry was abandoned because its costs stretched into billions of dollars (from an original estimate of $2 million), and probably as many people didnít declare their guns as those who registered them.

It was a foolish law from the start, in that it made criminals out of farmers and people in rural areas who didnít trust government assurances, or simply couldnít be bothered to register their rifles and shotguns.

In 2011 there were some 7.8 million guns registered in Canada. The National Firearms Association estimates there were up to 21 million guns in Canada in 1993, owned by roughly 6 million Canadians.

What does that tell you? It tells you the unenforceable law was making a lot of decent Canadians into criminals.

End of argument as to why the registry was ó and deserved to be ó scrapped.

And the registry did little to curb crimes committed with guns. Most criminals use handguns, and thereís always been a requirement to register these. Again, when guns are used in crimes, they are usually guns that are not registered.

By abandoning the long-gun registry, the federal government is saving the taxpayers considerable billions. If senior provincial police officers and local politicians feel safer if store owners record the identities of those who buy guns, so what? Itíll cost nothing, back door or no back door.

More significantly, why should individuals of the gun-buying public care if they are recorded as gun owners? If you donít intend it for a crime, why is anonymity important?

We register when we buy automobiles, or get a driverís licence. Whatís the difference with a gun if you donít intend to shoot someone or rob a bank?

Instigating the gun registry in the first place created a prejudice that lingers today. Thereís something sinister about wanting to own a gun ó or even owning one.

When I was a kid in Barrie, I bought a .22 rifle at Robinsonís hardware store (where I once had a summer job). No one paid heed when Jim Coutts and I would carry our .22s through downtown on our way to shoot crows and groundhogs in local fields. These days, a toy gun is liable to provoke a swat team reaction.

People bristle at the idea of being listed as a gun owner ó as if theyíll be nabbed in a midnight raid. Itís a bit like people who oppose babies being fingerprinted, in case future identification is needed. Unless the baby is likely to become a criminal, why not have everyoneís fingerprints recorded? It might be invaluable for tracing lost children.

Anyway, the gun registry is no more ó and too costly to ever be re-imposed.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/05/16/so-what-if-gun-stores-keep-records

comments are open to post :D

Rory McCanuck
05-17-2012, 10:15 AM
I gotta go find my blood pressure meds......

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
05-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Don't get me wrong - I am opposed to a federal registry as much as anyone else - and if they completly do away with paper ledgers in shops that sits well with me too. However, I don't see why people are so worked up over this. Paper ledgers did exist before before the Federal Registry, it is nothing new. Long gun owners are 99.9999% law abiding, upstanding citizens, so why the fuss, what do we have to hide?
Now before you all start calling me a left-wing anti nut job, please bear in mind I am on your side :)

Edward Teach
05-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Bait and switch.
There is a DIFFERENCE between a store keeping records for their own use...records that the police need a court order to view, and a CFO mandated ledger that can be opened and inspected at any time by the police, without a court order. It is the latter that we are objecting to.

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
05-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Bait and switch.
There is a DIFFERENCE between a store keeping records for their own use...records that the police need a court order to view, and a CFO mandated ledger that can be opened and inspected at any time by the police, without a court order. It is the latter that we are objecting to.

Agreed, that's what I was getting at.

JeffJames
05-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Bait and switch.

Agreed, no one with any business sense at all would care about a retailer keeping track of inventory. But a "backdoor registry/ledger" is out of the question IMO

Skeetgunner
05-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Its not just the retailer. Just about all points in the distribution chain keep varying amounts of ledger like data. Including CCRA if it came across a national boarder.

CSC
05-17-2012, 04:17 PM
There is also ultimately the potential for the CFO's to insist on the same record keeping for individuals and using the same regulations (a condition of maintaining a valid license).

Jim
05-21-2012, 06:35 PM
I thought the law was clear but I guess I was wrong.

Turkeyslayer 1300
05-21-2012, 06:48 PM
When the Libs or Dips get into power they are going to use all the Gun-Shop ledgers to go on a witch hunt.

I have just started buying my friends guns and in return they buy guns for me. F-Off CFO.