PDA

View Full Version : Teen attacked by coyote lucky to be alive

bellero
05-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Father says son attacked by coyote lucky to be alive
14-year-old bitten on Cape Breton trail Tuesday night
CBC News Posted: May 17, 2012 11:55 AM AT

The father of a 14-year-old who was attacked by an aggressive coyote said his son fought for his life when the animal pinned him down.

Brandon Bisson was out dirt biking with friends on a trail near Sydport Industrial Park in the Westmount area of Cape Breton around 8 p.m. Tuesday.

The group separated to go home, and Bisson stopped to relieve himself. He turned around, and saw the coyote approaching.

The animal first grabbed his boot, said his father, Joe Bisson.

"It knocked him off balance and knocked him down. Then it literally got on him and bit him in the buttocks, then it bit him just behind the knees," he said.

"He started fighting and kicking. He says he grabbed the coyote by the neck type thing and booting for all he was worth."

Bisson said the animal yelped and ran away. Brandon told his father he grabbed his bike and raced home.

"He was white as a ghost when he pulled in the yard. When he took his helmet off, I could tell there was something up. I could see that look of fear and shock in his eyes."

Bisson said Brandon was shaken but not seriously hurt. He was wearing thick clothing for dirt-biking. Something that Bisson said saved his son's life.

"I think the dog would have killed him, because where it bit him behind the knee, it would have just ripped the tendon right out of him, and he wouldn't be been able to stand up to fight back."

Bisson said the trail, which is just under one kilometre away from their home, is a popular trail for bikers in the area.

He suspects in this case, the coyote may have been protecting a den.

The incident was reported to the Department of Natural Resources. The department said it was a rare and unprovoked attack and they can't explain it.

His father said his son spends a lot of time in the woods and he did the right thing.

"If an animal like that comes at you, you have to fight for your life."

The Department is calling in a trapper to try to find the animal and kill it.

Brandon Bisson is now starting rabies vaccinations as a precaution.

In October 2009, Taylor Mitchell, 19, was killed by two coyotes while hiking the Skyline Trail in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/05/17/ns-coyote-bites-teen.html

lone-wolf
05-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Heard this yesterday. Don't worry though, carnivores don't attack other animals.

Onagoth
05-18-2012, 06:25 AM
Thick clothing saved his life huh? Sounds to me like the yote bit him in the ass, got kicked and ran away.

Quick, let's dramatize the shit out of this.

Rory McCanuck
05-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Its not nearly as sensational to say a 14 year old got
a nip in the butt while he was piddling into a 35 pound
coyote's den, where she was protecting her newborns.

I don't doubt he was pretty wild eyed after fending off
a wild animal attack bare handed though. A bit more
exciting than riding his bike down the trail.

JeffJames
05-18-2012, 11:05 AM
The incident was reported to the Department of Natural Resources. The department said it was a rare and unprovoked attack and they can't explain it.

They say this with EVERY Coyote attack, Not so rare anymore IMO