PDA

View Full Version : Rental Lease Ban on Guns

KINgGh0sT
12-10-2014, 01:11 AM
I tried contacting several people and agencies and no one can give me a straight answer. Can a Landlord legally stop me from owning legally owned guns in a rental property?

My lease strictly says no guns, weapons or other items that may cause harm to others.

SpenceyHR
12-10-2014, 01:18 AM
Look up the 'Tenants Act'. If there is something, my guess is it'll be in there.

Grizz Axxemann
12-10-2014, 01:30 AM
Depends on where you live, maybe.

The two places I've lived (both times long term, 5 yrs+) never specifically said no guns in the lease agreement, but they did say they would report illegal activities to the police.

That being said, all of my past landlords (went through a few of them at both places) knew I'm a gunnie, and never had an issue with it. The current landlady even went so far as to swap out one of my closet doorknobs for a deadbolt, for increased security, and was surprised no one did so earlier for me.

JustBen
12-10-2014, 06:14 AM
So long as they were stored legally, I can't see it being something that they could prevent you from having. Furthermore, how would they know, if you kept everything locked up?

Maybe it's time to find a new place where the landlord isn't such a buzzkill.

sk8r
12-10-2014, 07:42 AM
Dunno where you are, but in Ontario, that clause in a lease would be enforceable. If you agreed to it, then it is part of your contract with the owner.

blacksmithden
12-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Boy....that guy sure owns a lot of guitars. Every weekend, he's loading up 7 or 8 cases. In don't know where he plays, but he always comes home smelling like some kind of smoke. :rolleyes:

KINgGh0sT
12-10-2014, 10:32 AM
I live in Ontario. They would know because when I leave I have all kinds of hunting gear and gun cases. I currently live in a garden home so nosy neighbours too. No one has explicitly said something but I'm tired of hiding everything when I load up the car I feel like a criminal when I'm doing everything legally. I take everything out covered in blankets etc most of the time.

Edenchef
12-10-2014, 11:55 AM
I live in Ontario. They would know because when I leave I have all kinds of hunting gear and gun cases. I currently live in a garden home so nosy neighbours too. No one has explicitly said something but I'm tired of hiding everything when I load up the car I feel like a criminal when I'm doing everything legally. I take everything out covered in blankets etc most of the time.

Welcome to the current reality in Canada. Maybe with time it will improve. But of course if the SHTF, they will come banging on your door.

Cheers!

L33CHW33D
12-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Jeepers. I was planning on making my storage room (which is adjacent to my apartment door) a reloading room, this spring/summer. I know that the maintenance guy has a couple rifles hanging off his wall and they're totally visible from the parking lot. And my sword is in my bedroom closet... that's a weapon right? Just do what you want until someone has an issue with it, then slap 'em. You're not guilty of any criminal offenses.

For the record, my beeehind after eating a taco supper is a weapon that could cause harm to other people. They gonna ban my taco night?!

Clinteastwoody
12-10-2014, 02:22 PM
Ive dealt extensively with the LTB landlord and tenant board and am quite familiar with the Residential tenancies act. First call them. Look up Landlord and Tenant Board hotline. They are great with tenants and they hate landlords in most cases. From my understanding and numerous court cases they cannot evict you for breaking your lease agreement for any reason unless it goes against the Act. For example most leases say no pets. if you buy a pet and are the sole renter they cannot evict you even if its on your Lease agreement. The only way is if your pet is interfering with the "reasonable enjoyment of thw rental property" meaning if other tenants complain. Guns i do not know about but assume since you have a PAL and store them legally they cannot touch you. HOWEVER PLEASE NOTE: the landlord is the owner of the house so they can call the cops there and give them access in an emergency situation or even percieved emergency. I was ripped out of bed by the cops in a rental property for having a pellet gun. They said it was a warrantless search due to suspicion of firearm and had pictures of it my landlord took. I learned my lesson but was not reprimanded. Had I owned real guns at the time they may have tried to charge me for anything they could just for wasting their time. But essentially call LTB hotline they will free of charge tell you your rights as a Tenant.