PDA

View Full Version : Action Cameras

harbl_the_cat
12-12-2014, 11:29 AM
For some reason, I didn't want to spring out the $400-500 for a GoPro, and my wife had enough points to buy one of these for free:

http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images2500x2500/1073680.jpg

I got a head mount and rifle mount and will be testing it out tonight.

Anyone got any thoughts on action cam's in general?

VancouverSkiBum
12-12-2014, 02:24 PM
I like contour roams. As well as the sj4000 hero 3 knockoff on ebay. My friend has that sony, makes great video.

Tactical72
12-12-2014, 02:54 PM
I have three GoPros. They take great quality video and are very durable. I have used them for skiing and 4x4ing with much success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grizz Axxemann
12-14-2014, 12:59 AM
Depends on what you want to do. For pure picture quality, GoPro has everyone beat. Sony is a pretty close second, and I'd rank Drift in 3rd. Contour has gone out of business afaik, but their products are still available sort of.

Since my cam spends the bulk of its time on my motorcycle helmet, I'll be looking at the Sena Prism. I'll probably add a Sony at some point, because GoPro does have some serious reliability issues (I know a few people that have had them fail at really bad times) or the new Drift Stealth 2 (it's rather small, has a 300 degree rotatable lens, wifi, and 3 hours of record time.)

There's also the ReplayXD cameras, they're no bigger than a 3xAAA powered LED flashlight, and they take remarkably good video. I've been batting one of those around as an option too, just because of their size. I think this one and the Stealth 2 get the nod for a gun cam. General Purpose action either the Ghost S, or the Sony, just because of reliability and ease of use.

VancouverSkiBum
12-14-2014, 05:16 AM
Contour was bought out after going out of buisness and is making a comeback.

harbl_the_cat
12-16-2014, 11:09 AM
So I found out that that a problem with that Sony camera is the recoil from an AR15 will dislodge the MicoSD card if the camera is mounted onto the gun.

Trickle Charge
12-16-2014, 02:56 PM
I went with the Replay XD mini. Love it. I still have to get the rail mount for shooting vids, but I will after christmas. The new model looks impressive.

jwirecom109
12-17-2014, 08:15 AM
I bought for the first time this year a GoPro just the Hero they re-branded for the price of 150 i couldn't go wrong.
Only testing i have done on it is with it strapped to the kids.

harbl_the_cat
12-19-2014, 05:14 PM
I bought for the first time this year a GoPro just the Hero they re-branded for the price of 150 i couldn't go wrong.
Only testing i have done on it is with it strapped to the kids.

Is it's memory card parallel to the direction of the recoil of a rifle?