PDA

View Full Version : Does Red Deer, AB need an indoor range and gun shop?

50calshooter
05-18-2012, 10:05 AM
The answer, YES!

lol... Some of you may know that I've been hard at this for about a year now, alot of Nay Sayers and Negative Nancys along the way said it can't be done and won't work. Well I'm going all in...

To date,

We've received tremendous support from the Alberta CFO, local RCMP and Alberta Sheriffs
We have formed business partners and some solid relationships with industry leaders
We've acquired a 1.7 acre parcel of land inside the city of Red Deer
We've received our approved amendment to the county land-use by-law to allow an indoor range as a discretionary use
Our range and building blueprints are in their final drafts

We have one more meeting this Tuesday, the final "let's do this, point of no return" meeting and will hopefully get the green light to proceed. Once we have the green light we will apply for our development permit and then begin construction...

I'm on the eve of seeing this idea come to life, I'm terrified, nervous and excited all at the same time... It's been a emotional roller coaster...

Wish me luck

Prairie Dog
05-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Good luck and good on ya! What day will be GOC member day? :)

50calshooter
05-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Everyday! lol

Prairie Dog
05-18-2012, 10:14 AM
:) Good, because I get Thurs/Fri's off and it's not that far a drive..... Retail facility as well or just a range?

50calshooter
05-18-2012, 10:29 AM
:) Good, because I get Thurs/Fri's off and it's not that far a drive..... Retail facility as well or just a range?

Our business model is range, retail and training. We will also be actively holding IPSC and IDPA matches when ever we can. Our main 25 meter range (8 Lanes) will be really wide and will make for a nice wide open space for those matches. Our 50m range (5 lanes) will also be available to any run and gun type drills for training purposes.

Our retail will have a strong emphasis on black rifle and pistol, I will be pursuing this market hard locally. Training will also be a primary focus for us as well. A one stop shop is our goal.

Redhouse
05-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Nice. Make sure and log all the progress and take 4 kazillion pictures along the way. Anything I can do, just give a holler.

50calshooter
05-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Yes, I plan on taking a ton of pictures along the way in hopes to document everything and show the people what really is involved in taking on a project of this magnitude.

The biggest thing is no ranges in Canada have ever been built from the ground up, most are built with existing buildings. It's my hope that when people walk in they will simply be blown away (no pun intended) and naturally want to be apart of it...

Prairie Dog
05-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Our business model is range, retail and training. We will also be actively holding IPSC and IDPA matches when ever we can. Our main 25 meter range (8 Lanes) will be really wide and will make for a nice wide open space for those matches. Our 50m range (5 lanes) will also be available to any run and gun type drills for training purposes.

Our retail will have a strong emphasis on black rifle and pistol, I will be pursuing this market hard locally. Training will also be a primary focus for us as well. A one stop shop is our goal.

I like the sound of that! I'm in to lend a hand if needed as well.

jdman
05-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Good Luck 50, I have followed the threads at CGN in the past. Good for you, i wish you well. If i am ever around i will come check it out.

Canuck
05-18-2012, 11:12 AM
I finally convinced my sister and her husband, who live in Red Deer, to get their RPAL's. They now have them and a CZ with a Kimber on the way. I am going to let them know about this as they have the bug and want to shoot year round. I know they will be at the door the minute you open.
Good for you for doing this and good luck. Sounds like you have a good plan so it should fly! As has been mentioned- post lots of pics as you progress.

jonanddad
05-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Nice 50, can't wait till you get it built and open! I want to be there for the grand opening!

Rory McCanuck
05-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Really wishing you the best of luck.
You will face many more hurdles before you get there,
but we'll be here with moral support, if nothing else.

50calshooter
05-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks guys!

It's been a long year of jumping through hoops and over hurdles, I hope I'm almost at the finish line. lol

CSC
05-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Great to hear. Good luck on the venture.

hillbillyr
05-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Good for you!!!!!

I don't know if you have construction experience, if not post anything you are unsure of or anything that seems fishy, there are a few around with experience and who have seen many a preventable mistake or F up.

FlyingHigh
05-18-2012, 04:40 PM
excellent news! depending on the grand opening date, i'l try to make it down from GP. if i can't make that date, i'll work a visit into a holiday for sure. probably pick up jon and dennis along the way. lol. :D

mlehto
05-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Awesome news 50!!!

I wish I was around to watch it all happen!

Matter of fact, I am gonna be looking for a job at the end of this summer. Lots of commission sales experience, and graduating from University this year.

Let me know where I can send a resume! ;)

jonanddad
05-18-2012, 05:27 PM
excellent news! depending on the grand opening date, i'l try to make it down from GP. if i can't make that date, i'll work a visit into a holiday for sure. probably pick up jon and dennis along the way. lol. :D

Nice!! and your awesome crew cab!

Awesome news 50!!!

I wish I was around to watch it all happen!

Matter of fact, I am gonna be looking for a job at the end of this summer. Lots of commission sales experience, and graduating from University this year.

Let me know where I can send a resume! http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/images/smilies/wink.png

Lol, you willing to move to Alberta tho :p

mlehto
05-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Lol, you willing to move to Alberta tho :p

YES!

Yes I am! ;)

I am just looking for an excuse to get the hell outta here.

I would drop everything for the opportunity to be a part of such a project!

50calshooter
05-19-2012, 02:17 PM
mlehto, pm me if your interested.

I have a couple good guys that make the foundation of my crew but still not enough to cover me. I anticipate a busy first year so having a bunch of good guys on board is key...

BuckingFastard
05-19-2012, 08:29 PM
If you build it they will come. I'm very happy to see your vision finally come through. I'm just a phone call away if you need anything. You can count me in for a lifetime family membership :)

jdman
05-20-2012, 11:35 AM
YES!

Yes I am! ;)

I am just looking for an excuse to get the hell outta here.

I would drop everything for the opportunity to be a part of such a project!
RUN, run, and never look back!

Neil Burke
05-21-2012, 11:21 AM

Damn, 50 keep this up and I might just move to Alberta after all. At the very least, I'll have to visit after this is all up and running. 50m Indoors? Yes, please!

Sanman
05-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Congrats 50!!! I will make a point of coming down, and getting some of my pals from Calgary to meet me there!!! When do you expect to have the facility up and running?

50calshooter
05-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Congrats 50!!! I will make a point of coming down, and getting some of my pals from Calgary to meet me there!!! When do you expect to have the facility up and running?

I can't say right this minute, but I will make an announcement on that in a couple weeks.

50calshooter
05-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Quick question though, does anyone know how many indoor ranges are in Edmonton?

I know of Phoenix and Wild West, are there any private indoor pistol clubs?

road kill
05-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Good luck in your new endeavour. A new shooting range is always a good thing.

jwirecom109
05-22-2012, 09:02 PM
edmonton area ranges: http://www.abshooters.org/index.php?option=com_sobi2&catid=8&Itemid=85

jonanddad
05-22-2012, 10:22 PM
50 I have not heard of any private indoor ranges in Edmonton, but I will ask around.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

normmus
05-22-2012, 10:44 PM
I have not heard of any

blacksmithden
05-23-2012, 12:59 AM
Negative on any other indoor ranges. Pheonix and Wild West tourist trap are the only two in Edmonton that I've ever heard of.

I've never heard of anyone making a go of a dream by sitting on the fence. Have at it.

Sanman
05-23-2012, 09:53 AM
I was just speaking with a co-worker about the lack of indoor ranges in Edmonton. Not to take anything away from Phoenix, but having visited the indoor facilities in Calgary, it seems we could use another one in Edmonton. Wild West is only interested in doing parties, and walk in's!

CSC
05-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Back in the day, every little town in Canada had an indoor range. Shooting was a popular social sport and there were some pretty good followings. I am sure another commercial range in Edmonton would be at full capacity in a very short time. Red Deer should be able to support a good range, but I guess in the end there is only one way to find out.....

normmus
05-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Actually, I recall one that was around 104 ave and 104 st that closed for some reason or other. Does anyone else remember this?

50calshooter
05-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Just got off the phone with Rob from the Red Deer Fish & Game Association, they are seriously over whelmed from all the pistol and carbine shooters. He's telling me to hurry up and build, lol

I also had a conversation with a local ERT member with the RCMP and he's also excited to work with us... Lot's of positive feedback so far this week!

normmus
05-24-2012, 10:19 AM
^^^that is great news, you must be STOKED.

50calshooter
05-24-2012, 11:00 AM
^^^that is great news, you must be STOKED.

Not just yet, I'm still nervous as hell, lol.. I probably will feel this way until it opens. I keep having a reoccurring dream that we opened and nobody showed up... lol

Sanman
05-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Actually, I recall one that was around 104 ave and 104 st that closed for some reason or other. Does anyone else remember this?

I believe that was the location of "The Firing Line". I had the opportunity to shoot there on a couple of occasions. From what i can recall it was a good place to go, and friendly staff!

Sanman
05-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Back in the day, every little town in Canada had an indoor range. Shooting was a popular social sport and there were some pretty good followings. I am sure another commercial range in Edmonton would be at full capacity in a very short time. Red Deer should be able to support a good range, but I guess in the end there is only one way to find out.....

I would agree with you that another indoor facility in Edmonton would be at full capacity very quickly.

50calshooter
05-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Yup Edmonton needs one for sure...

50calshooter
05-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Well I had a busy day....

The biggest news is the bank gave us the final "git er' dun"

Our range design also has been finalized as of this afternoon. RDSC will feature 2 ranges. One range will have 6 lanes at 25m and the other range, 6 lanes at 50m. Both ranges will feature 4 foot wide shooting booths and 12 foot high walls, after baffles the inside height should still be 10 feet. The ranges will be spacious and should appear very wide open. I'm hoping these little touches will payoff and give us that world class look we're trying to achieve.

The only hurdle left to jump is to get the development permit, that shouldn't be a big deal as it's more of a process then anything.

So far it looks like we're on our way... Here's to pushing the chips all in... [Cheers]

50calshooter
05-24-2012, 05:58 PM
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/50calshooter/RDSC/aff49141.jpg

Prairie Dog
05-25-2012, 05:55 PM

Should I just give you my credit card number now? :)

jonanddad
05-26-2012, 01:34 AM
Not just yet, I'm still nervous as hell, lol.. I probably will feel this way until it opens. I keep having a reoccurring dream that we opened and nobody showed up... lol

Thats horrible, lol, I bet it will be full! I know I will get out there for your grand opening.

50calshooter
05-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Thanks fellas, I really appreciate all the kind words and support!

I got in touch with a writer from the Red Deer Advocate yesterday. I was surprised to learn that he is interested in doing a write up and preview for RDSC in the newspapers business section.

The newspaper is currently Red Deer and Central Alberta's biggest and most popular news print. I will be sitting down with him next week to go over everything. He thinks the readers would love to read about what's involved in opening a facility of this magnitude and also how the business will run and operate.

Sounds like it should be some positive free press.

Prairie Dog
05-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Please post the link when it's available as I would like to read the story.

Is it safe to assume that you'll be offering a Black Badge course at some point?

50calshooter
05-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Please post the link when it's available as I would like to read the story.

Is it safe to assume that you'll be offering a Black Badge course at some point?

Training and courses of all kinds, whatever it takes to keep my head above water. Whatever I can do to help get new shooters signed up and interested I'll do.

ThePunisher
06-06-2012, 08:01 PM
That's great news!! I definetly would like to read that article!!

Thanks fellas, I really appreciate all the kind words and support!

I got in touch with a writer from the Red Deer Advocate yesterday. I was surprised to learn that he is interested in doing a write up and preview for RDSC in the newspapers business section.

The newspaper is currently Red Deer and Central Alberta's biggest and most popular news print. I will be sitting down with him next week to go over everything. He thinks the readers would love to read about what's involved in opening a facility of this magnitude and also how the business will run and operate.

Sounds like it should be some positive free press.

jwirecom109
06-06-2012, 08:02 PM
That's great news!! I definetly would like to read that article!!

Well it is posted on the forum lol

http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?2262-Developer-sets-sights-on-gun-range-for-Red-Deer

ThePunisher
06-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Well there ya go...thanks for posting the link - that was a great article!

Haywire1
06-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Sweet!!, the wife and I have some good friends in Red Deer, sounds like an excuse for a road trip for us!!. They can have their girly time, I can go shooting. Are you going to be set up for .30 cal and larger rifles, or just 5.56 and under? And congratulations BTW.

50calshooter
06-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Sweet!!, the wife and I have some good friends in Red Deer, sounds like an excuse for a road trip for us!!. They can have their girly time, I can go shooting. Are you going to be set up for .30 cal and larger rifles, or just 5.56 and under? And congratulations BTW.

Our backstops are engineered to handle any and all calibers and types of ammunition, including up to 50BMG and steel core

CheeseBurger
06-15-2012, 07:54 AM
Some how I've managed to miss this thread up until now. Good luck fifty! I will definitely try and come up for the grand opening!

biopace
06-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Waiting and watching for this.

Thanks 50cal shooter < Of course your range would be capable of big caliber shooting with a name like that...

Haywire1
06-26-2012, 02:05 PM
I thought it would, but doesnt hurt to check before I shlep big calibres all the way to Red Deer, good luck .50, hope it is going well

jwirecom109
06-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Our backstops are engineered to handle any and all calibers and types of ammunition, including up to 50BMG and steel core

darn i was hoping to be able to shoot this indoors

http://www.anzioironworks.com/20mmbipod.jpg
http://www.anzioironworks.com/images/bulletsizes.jpg

1600 grain bullet 20 mm :(

Haywire1
06-26-2012, 02:13 PM
oh sweet jesus, I wonder how that would work on gophers?......

jwirecom109
06-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Gophers weigh around 0.5 pounds (230 g), and are about 15 inches (38 cm) long in body length

20 mm caliber weapons are typically used against large targets such as vehicles, buildings, or aircraft. Though effective against individual soldiers, 20 mm ammunition is so large and heavy that its effects are nearly wasted on relatively small targets.

I think it would be effective for taking out a whole colony

Haywire1
06-26-2012, 02:25 PM
the main word in that sentence is NEARLY although, I have seen a lahti take out a goose.....