PDA

View Full Version : The Interview - why it's important to watch it

Foxer
12-29-2014, 12:44 AM
So, as you guys are probably aware the movie "the interview" was not released in most theaters as planned this year because of threats by north korea following the cyber-attack on sony pictures. The movie is very unflattering to North Korea's current maniac despot, kim jung un.

It is however available for download or streaming from a number of places.

Be SURE that you do download or stream it. Even if you don't like the movie (it's not that bad) those statistics are going to make their way back to the boy with the haircut and it's kind of nice to spit in his face a little. Sad times if some lunatic can censor what we watch with just a few threats. Downloading or streaming the movie is a nice little way to give him the middle finger and point out that if anything MORE people have seen it thanks to his tin pot bullcrap than if he'd just kept his mouth shut.

Canuck
12-29-2014, 01:22 AM
Interestingly, many NA movies make it into North Korea via China. They are put on USB drives and smuggled into North Korea. If I understand this correctly, Kim is more worried about his people watching this movie than us watching it. No one makes fun of Kim. If people see this movie in North Korea they may see his fallibility. So the thinking goes, this movie could be that straw that breaks the camel's back. Don't know about that but I plan on watching it for the reasons you mention, Foxer. It will also be interesting to see how it goes over in North Korea. It would be kind of ironical that a satire about killing Kim Jong Un could be his undoing.
BTW, I see Putin has agreed with NK about the movie. All the more reason to watch it, IMHO.

harbl_the_cat
12-29-2014, 08:19 AM
I thought the Sony hack was from the NSA

CaperJim
12-29-2014, 08:22 AM
Seems easy enough to 'cry wolf'. And it wouldn't be grasping at straws to consider corporate media would maufacture a story to raise interest and get people talking. It is the movies after all, solely entertainment and fantasy

Foxer
12-29-2014, 09:58 AM
Seems easy enough to 'cry wolf'. And it wouldn't be grasping at straws to consider corporate media would maufacture a story to raise interest and get people talking. It is the movies after all, solely entertainment and fantasy

Raise awareness, get people talking, and then release the movie for free? Seems unlikely, most corporations like to actually make money at some point. :) Sony has been financially devastated by this hack

CaperJim
12-29-2014, 10:28 AM
Raise awareness, get people talking, and then release the movie for free? Seems unlikely, most corporations like to actually make money at some point. :) Sony has been financially devastated by this hack

I didn't realize it was available for free, maybe there is some truth to it lol

Canuck
12-29-2014, 10:38 AM
The Interview has brought in $15 million in online sales since it's online release. This doesn't include revenue from independent theatres that chose to show it.

Foxer
12-29-2014, 10:50 AM
The Interview has brought in $15 million in online sales since it's online release. This doesn't include revenue from independent theatres that chose to show it.

Not exactly impressive. It cost 44 million to make. And unless people buy 'commemorative' dvd's to annoy kim, they really can't do the 'after theatre release' because that's what they just did. It's unlikely they'll even come close to breaking even when the dust settles. They basically did it because they were pressured not to give in to cyber-terrorists.

RangeBob
12-29-2014, 11:57 AM
then release the movie for free?

I thought it was $6.99 or so.

FALover
12-29-2014, 12:09 PM
Spending a few million to 'whack' a certain person would put sales over the top. Heck, if Colombian drug cartels can build submarines to smuggle coke into the states someone could cobble together a rudimentary cruise missile to NK.

Canuck
12-29-2014, 12:23 PM
I thought it was $6.99 or so.

Correct. BTW, it comes out on iTunes today which will boost sales. It's only free in North Korea . . .

Petamocto
12-29-2014, 01:12 PM
I would rather pay cash to see it in person and not have my name tied to anything than download it.

I don't need some hackers in North Korea working slave wages 23 hours per day to harass every person who can be tied to supporting the film.

That's not being cowardly, that's being prudent. It's always better to attack your enemy without letting them attack you back, so paying cash at a theatre is the way to do that.

killer kane
12-29-2014, 02:16 PM
Watched it Christmas day, we liked it and as Foxer mentioned, I think that crazy kim might just be a bit more concerned about the N Korean's take on the flick than ours.

chadeech
12-30-2014, 03:14 PM
available streaming free everywhere just another silly movie as advertised ,watched it had a couple giggles but mostly really silly

walperstyle
01-01-2015, 06:10 AM
You guys need to read 'Guerilla marketing'. Then you can facepalm yourselves and say, 'well, that was textbook'.

harbl_the_cat
01-01-2015, 08:54 AM
sharesave0
HARDBALL WITH CHRIS MATTHEWS 12/30/14
Disgruntled employee responsible for Sony hack?
Politico reports that representatives of a cyber-intelligence company conducting their own investigation into the Sony hack concluded it was “some combination of a disgruntled employee and hackers for piracy groups is at fault.

http://www.msnbc.com/hardball/watch/disgruntled-employee-responsible-for-sony-hack--378475587554

Most probable explaination is most likely.