PDA

View Full Version : Calibre Magazine

Doug_M
12-31-2014, 10:07 AM
Got the latest issue of Calibre magazine yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to learn they have partnered with the CSSA. When my Calibre subscription lapses I will once again join the CSSA. I had previously let my membership lapse as I didn't like their secrecy, but they stated in this issue that they were looking for a better means to communicate with their membership. Calibre won't be changing its focus, it will just add CSSA and political content. If you're not familiar with the mag you really should check it out www.calibremag.ca

I had to laugh at one of the CSSA's statements in this issue though:

and that they inspire you to become members of the CSSA, Canada's largest and fastest growing firearms organization."

Nice try, but at last count the NFA had three times the membership as the CSSA.

Oh and one more thing, this issue has an article by TV-PressePass. Way to go Edward!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CaperJim
12-31-2014, 11:25 AM
CSSA could be the 'fastest growing' since the NFA already has a huge membership. As they join the CSSA, it grows. Not the same as saying they're the biggest organization, just a slight twang on the wording to make it sound fancier lol

Doug_M
12-31-2014, 02:12 PM
Sure but they did indeed say they were "Canada's largest". Any way, I think it will make for a good partnership and maybe encourage more membership which can only be a good thing for the firearms community.

GunsNotPuns
01-01-2015, 05:36 PM
I read all of the Calibre issues that they had posted online and I subscribed to it. I do hope, however, that they don't go overly political. I'd rather the magazine go a more technical route. Anything I need political can be had online in near real time -- longer form technical articles would serve me better.

Doug_M
01-01-2015, 07:53 PM
I read all of the Calibre issues that they had posted online and I subscribed to it. I do hope, however, that they don't go overly political. I'd rather the magazine go a more technical route. Anything I need political can be had online in near real time -- longer form technical articles would serve me better.

From the latest issues editorial it sounds like the current article content isn't going to change. There will be the CSSA/political addition and they said they hope to expand the "regular" content as well.

Where the political stuff may benefit us is by informing those not in the know who get their copy of Calibre for free at their local gun store.

lone-wolf
01-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Good to see they're at Gone Fishing in Charlottetown

kennymo
01-03-2015, 11:07 AM
Recently started getting these from my CSSA membership. They're definitely a good read, I was pleasantly surprised to see the write up by PressPass too.

Mad Hatter
01-04-2015, 11:42 AM
I have been subscribing to Calibre for about a year now. Excellent read. I receive the NFA Firearms Journal via my membership there and it is all politics most of the time. I enjoy the technical actual hands on gun stuff of Calibre and hope it does not go the way of the Journal.

Some Guy
01-11-2015, 04:22 PM
Great magazine. I was a member of both but the renewal process for the CSSA was a pain when I went to do it. Not as streamlined as the NFA's.

Jarlath
01-27-2015, 01:57 PM
Got the latest issue of Calibre magazine yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to learn they have partnered with the CSSA. When my Calibre subscription lapses I will once again join the CSSA. I had previously let my membership lapse as I didn't like their secrecy, but they stated in this issue that they were looking for a better means to communicate with their membership. Calibre won't be changing its focus, it will just add CSSA and political content. If you're not familiar with the mag you really should check it out www.calibremag.ca

I had to laugh at one of the CSSA's statements in this issue though:

Nice try, but at last count the NFA had three times the membership as the CSSA.

Oh and one more thing, this issue has an article by TV-PressePass. Way to go Edward!

You can laugh at the comments and numbers all you want, but please note.
By their numbers they have anywhere from 3-4x CSSA's numbers. However, we don't have separate insurance only policies, and any clubs that utilize CSSA for insurance pay for a full membership. You are a CSSA member or not. (And I hope you are....)

Both orgs have the same goal (or pretty damned close to the same), just different theories and paths to achieve them. I hope anyone who reads this is a member of at LEAST one. (I'm obviously biased to my personal choice :))

That being said, we are glad to be able to offer Calibre magazine to our membership. It's a pretty darn good magazine IMHO.

Jarlath
01-27-2015, 01:58 PM
Great magazine. I was a member of both but the renewal process for the CSSA was a pain when I went to do it. Not as streamlined as the NFA's.

PM me with what were some of the problematic areas with it and I'll see that they get looked at!

Doug_M
01-27-2015, 02:50 PM
You are a CSSA member or not. (And I hope you are)

I'm a member of both though I dropped the CSSA for about 6 months due to a lack of communications (e-news wasn't forthcoming at the time with what the CSSA was doing and Tony was being ultra-secretive IMHO). When my NFA membership expires I may drop them until they get their act together. Tough to decide right now.

FlyingHigh
01-27-2015, 07:38 PM
CSSA has my vote. :)

Marcel
02-02-2015, 03:39 AM

Agreed.

Calibre
02-02-2015, 02:52 PM
Don't worry folks; we're not going the way of the advocacy periodical. As mentioned, we will be using the CSSA and their contacts to get some political content when it's required, such as with the announcement of Bill C-42. We would have covered that anyway because it's a pretty big deal for Canadian gun owners, but having those contacts at the CSSA makes it much better as the political stuff isn't quite in our wheelhouse, so it's great to have it explained by those that know how the legislative machine operates. We'll also be using their contacts for some legal articles I've been trying to get out the door for literally years; stuff like "what constitutes legal storage" and the like.

Otherwise, we'll be remaining focussed on guns, and I'm actually trying to figure out how to expand our page count to 64 in either the March or May issue. If I can make all the pieces fall where they need to in order to make that happen, it'll mean 16 more pages for gun content, so even with the occasional legal and legislative report we'll still have more gun stuff than ever before!

As for the comment about the CSSA's size; it's a matter of reporting. The NFA's reported numbers of between 60,000 and 80,000 include what they call "affiliate members," which are all members of gun clubs that purchase insurance through the NFA. So if Maple Syrup Gun Club has 3,000 members, and the NFA sells the club their insurance, the NFA counts Maple Syrup Gun Club's 3,000 members as "affiliate members" of the NFA even if none of those 3,000 actually bought an NFA membership. I believe the CSSA is larger when one restricts the head count of both organizations to only those that have purchased an explicit membership.

Petamocto
02-24-2015, 06:37 PM
I'm beginning to think you have a fetish with syrup. First you're naming clubs after it, then you test an SKS filled with it...?

Hmmm...

Awesome magazine, though, got my first issue in the mail and I've been chipping away at your older issue on PDF on your website.

As long as you keep making these, I will keep buying them from you and telling everyone else about your magazine.