PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't look like our CZ-858's are going to be saved by the new bill C-42

Jason Craig Warren
01-01-2015, 02:08 PM
Anyone know something that I don't. I can't help but think about what will happen after the useless amnesty period is over. Any thoughts.

Doug_M
01-01-2015, 02:25 PM
??? The PSM announced in the House during the bill's second reading that as soon as it is passed the CZ and SA would be returned to their original classification. Seems like the NFA's pandering of the bill has been too effective me thinks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RangeBob
01-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Bill C-42 allows the government via OIC to reclassify any gun in any way, overriding the RCMP's FRT's lab tech.
(Firearms Act only allowed guns to move to from non-restricted to restricted or prohibited, or from restricted to prohibited; but not from prohibited to non-restricted)

So the common thinking is, that an OIC will be created right after Bill C-42 passes to reclassify the Swiss Arms and CZ-858's back to non-restricted.

The question is, will they do the same with any other recently prohibited firearm?

Doug_M
01-01-2015, 02:38 PM
So the common thinking is, that an OIC will be created right after Bill C-42 passes to reclassify the Swiss Arms and CZ-858's back to non-restricted.

Blaney explicitly stated they would do just that. As for other firearms, well I think we're going to have to organize and lobby en masse post election to get any more "positive" reclassifications.

Canuck
01-01-2015, 02:43 PM
Anyone know something that I don't. I can't help but think about what will happen after the useless amnesty period is over. Any thoughts.

Interesting first post. What leads you to believe that the CZ 858 won't be re-classified back to it's previous status?

Rory McCanuck
01-01-2015, 04:58 PM
??? The PSM announced in the House during the bill's second reading that as soon as it is passed the CZ and SA would be returned to their original classification. Seems like the NFA's pandering of the bill has been too effective me thinks.

That's okay, apparently we're getting ARs un-restricted and regular capacity magazines this year, according to Bevins' facebook today. :rolleyes:

BrotherRockeye
01-01-2015, 05:25 PM
That's okay, apparently we're getting ARs un-restricted and regular capacity magazines this year, according to Bevins' facebook today. :rolleyes:

I'd love to be able to take the rivets out of my m14 mags...

Billythreefeathers
01-02-2015, 09:00 AM
in this election year PM Harper will want to galvanize his support base,, I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he made the re-classification announcement himself

kennymo
01-02-2015, 11:46 AM

Drinking the NFA kool-aid? #1, if the police haven't shown up at your doorstep asking for your rifle the amnesty has been far from useless. #2, read the press releases for ####'s sake. It's common knowledge that bill C-42 needs to pass before the firearms can be made non-restricted again. That'll take a couple more months. It's been beaten to death on this forum and various others. The NFA's new 'non-restricted AR' petition is fricken based on the fact that C-42 is going to give our politicians the option to actually do that easily. For all that they've been lambasting the bill I see they're all too happy with the results....

Doug_M
01-02-2015, 12:23 PM
The NFA's new 'non-restricted AR' petition is fricken based on the fact that C-42 is going to give our politicians the option to actually do that easily. For all that they've been lambasting the bill I see they're all too happy with the results....

Well said. That irony is lost on the mob mentality they've (NFA) curated over on their Facebook page. Was really hoping Rod would win and bring a little reason and thought to that org, but oh well....

Foxer
01-02-2015, 12:44 PM
Didn't we do this thread before a month or two back? I seem to remember answering the same question then.

Anyway - others have done a fine job of it this time. We need a new law to allow for the guns to be re-re-classified back to what they were. The law is going thru the system now. once the law passes, they will classify said guns as non-restricted (a category that doesn't actually exist legally right now, but which the new law creates.)

Once the new law is in place, any gun could be classified by the gov't as being non restricted even if it would be restricted OR prohib'd under the current laws.

It also specifically allows the gov't to rely on sources OTHER than the RCMP when making classification decisions.

Be patient. C-42 is meant to solve a lot more problems than just one or two guns being mis-classified, it's going to protect us from these kinds of abuses in the future for any gun. But it's a two stage process.

blacksmithden
01-02-2015, 12:52 PM
.....and if for some reason c-42 doesnt go through, Mike from Canmore.....the guy who bought every Swiss Arms and CZ858 the day before the RCMP tried to steal them all...hes going to be one unhappy camper.:)

Foxer
01-02-2015, 12:54 PM
.....and if for some reason c-42 doesnt go through, Mike from Canmore.....the guy who bought every Swiss Arms and CZ858 the day before the RCMP tried to steal them all...hes going to be one unhappy camper.:)
That mike. Always making such highly questionable investments :)

Edenchef
01-02-2015, 01:14 PM
That mike. Always making such highly questionable investments :)

And he has such bad balance in a canoe.

Cheers!

Satain
01-02-2015, 03:32 PM
Gosh Darn Mike
LMFAO!!!

Supahdave
07-17-2015, 06:10 PM
So what happens if any of the other parties besides the conservatives get into majority after c42 passes. Are we shooting ourselves in the foot here with this bill giving all future governments the power to easily ban all semi autos at the stroke of a pen no questions asked?

Foxer
07-17-2015, 06:13 PM
So what happens if any of the other parties besides the conservatives get into majority after c42 passes. Are we shooting ourselves in the foot here with this bill giving all future governments the power to easily ban all semi autos at the stroke of a pen no questions asked?

They had that already. C-68 gave them that and they've used it. The AR's are restricted by name for example. C-42 ONLY gave the gov't the new power of DE-restricting or de prohibiting guns.

Doug_M
07-17-2015, 07:38 PM

No offence Supahdave, but it amazes me people still think this. No wonder the NFA are persona non grata with the CPC, the damage they've done with misinformation.

FALover
07-17-2015, 10:15 PM
I'd love to be able to take the rivets out of my m14 mags...

Revits? We don need no stinkin' revit's!

Supahdave
07-18-2015, 12:51 AM
Yeah see I just remember reading it shifts power from the cfo's to the government giving them the power to reclassify as they see fit (reclassify, which could mean go either way, not just de classify to a less restrictive category but classify to prohibited) but I may have interpreted that wrong.

Foxer
07-18-2015, 01:49 AM
Yeah see I just remember reading it shifts power from the cfo's to the government giving them the power to reclassify as they see fit (reclassify, which could mean go either way, not just de classify to a less restrictive category but classify to prohibited) but I may have interpreted that wrong.
I think you're probably mixing up a few provisions of the bill.

The cfo's never had the power to classify or reclassify guns - that was always with the RCMP via the FRT's, which they control. The CFO's powers however WERE clipped.

The gov't has always had the power to classify guns as they see fit - but there was never a 'non restricted' catagory in the law before. We use the term all the time, but there was nothing in the law about it at all. There were just guns that were "restricted, prohibited, or neither restricted nor prohibited'. So there was no legal way to classify a gun as 'non-restricted' c-42 added the class of 'non restricted'. So now the powers which have always existed can be used to move guns into the 'non restricted' catagory.

The law was also changed to say that the gov't could use outside consultants when a firearm is being classified, forbidding the RCMP to change a classification on their own after a year, and allowing the gov't to transfer a gun to non restricted even if the OTHER laws say it should be restricted or prohib'd.

Basically, now if they wanted to they could make a full auto 'non restricted' by name.

Supahdave
07-18-2015, 10:36 AM
Ah that clears it up, thanks. So then it is possible to move AR's and even ak and fal's back then... I can just see the headlines now haha

Foxer
07-18-2015, 12:11 PM
Ah that clears it up, thanks. So then it is possible to move AR's and even ak and fal's back then... I can just see the headlines now haha

Hehehe - yeah, well - just because you can do a thing doesn't mean it's a good idea :) But - consider perhaps saying that ar's with 20 inch barrels are non restricted for hunting reasons? Or that specific ak varians (which aren't really variants anyway) such as the smith and wesson 22 could be made non restricted. There are many possible contenders for such a move. How about the taurus circuit judge rifle - restricted because it's got a 'pistol action', which is nowhere in the law. A 45/410 revolver rifle is a great gun for fun and hunting and has no business being restricted as it is now.