PDA

View Full Version : Old vs New

mlipiec
01-01-2015, 07:11 PM
So I'm in the market for a pump 12g again, Ive owned an 870 express in the past and was somewhat happy with it. Im now looking at a wingmaster and have heard multiple new express horror stories for quality control but the real question I have is are the newly manufactured wingmasters affected with the same issues or do they seem to be ok. I'm well aware of the quality difference between the new express' and the old wingmasters just curious if the new ones are to the same standard or should I look for an older one??

kennymo
01-01-2015, 11:19 PM
Rumour has it that Remington/Marlin/Remlin quality control is on the upswing. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Remington or Marlin right now IF I could give it a real good once over before passing my money across the counter. I have a recent Remington 870 Express that has been pretty flawless. Keep in mind Remington is one of the biggest sellers in North America too. We're seeing hundreds of horror stories for many tens of thousands of guns sold. They're far from being all bad. Just more than usual slipping through the cracks in recent years...

Swampdonkey
01-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Due mostly to retooling and increasing production scale, most large gunmakers sold an embarassing number of sloppy guns. Remington/Marlin got the most publicity, but Winchester/Browning, Mossberg, and even Savage had inexcusable issues. Ruger foresaw these problems and opted not to increase production, hence the scarcity of the 10-22.

kennymo
01-02-2015, 11:33 AM
A lot of the Winchester problems were from worn out tooling. I saw some truly atrocious Model 70's in the last couple years before they shut down production. Hence everything new from them being built in Japan I guess. Miroku knows how to put a rifle together though, that's for certain.