PDA

View Full Version : Any reason why i shouldn't just get the RPAL

Steveo830
01-11-2015, 12:08 AM
Going to do the course and get the PAL in a couple weeks. It's an extra $50 and an extra day to get the RPAL. I don't really plan on owning any restricteds although that could change. Should I just get it and be done with it? Any reason not to? Opinions please. I'm sure this has been asked a million times but a search didn't turn up much.

Foxer
01-11-2015, 12:16 AM
Just get it. Only good can come of it and no bad can.

Also - it tends to affect the numbers that politicians look at if you do. Think of it - if 10 million people have pals and only 1 thousand have rpals, it might be suggested that you better leave the pal holders alone, but picking on the rpal guys is probably pretty safe for a politician. However - if there's 5 million of EACH - even if the rpal guys don't all own pistols the presumption is they do or would like to - NOW how safe it it to plot against them? That's a lot of people.

So it has advantages for us to have as many rpal holders on the books as we can. Obviously it's not outrageously important one way or another, but it is still worth it.

and what the hell - for 50 bucks it's better to have and not need than need and not have.

cobrajr122
01-11-2015, 12:17 AM
Just do it, add to the ranks and when the restricted bug bites you are not waiting months before you can buy it like I did :P

lone-wolf
01-11-2015, 12:25 AM
Of course you should, this is a gun forum after all.

blacksmithden
01-11-2015, 12:29 AM
Go get it now. Sooner or later, the liberals are going to get back in power, and one thing is for sure....they aren't going to make it any easier to get. I tell everyone the same thing. Get your restricted endorsement now, and buy at least one semi auto handgun with the shortest legal barrel you can find. Ask all the guys out there who don't have the 12(x) endorsements on their pals how much they wish they had known how things were going to go down, and how much they wish they'd acted when they had the chance.

Edenchef
01-11-2015, 12:40 AM
RPAL, condoms, handgun......better to have and not need, than need and not have.

Cheers!

Steveo830
01-11-2015, 12:41 AM
I don't use condoms. I also don't shower with a raincoat on.

Steveo830
01-11-2015, 12:42 AM
On a serious note, thanks for the replies. You guys have pretty much talked me into it.

Petamocto
01-11-2015, 07:00 AM
Get every license you can and every type of gun you can in case anything is changed / banned / grandfathered in the future.

Even if you don't want a handgun or an AR now, I would still get the RPAL so you can get both in case you want them later.

As Post #5 mentioned, it is possible that a different governing party will come in this year and do something like shifting them all to the Prohib list and only allowing current owners to keep them.

I'm not suggesting there is a high probability of this happening, but I still have a fire extinguisher and car insurance in case the low probability of a fire or crash happens.

You would probably regret it in the future if you could have got your RPAL and some restricted firearms while they were still legal.

This is not defeatist talk, it's prudence.

CaperJim
01-11-2015, 07:38 AM
Better to get it while still available. Who knows when we'll be downsized again and need to resort to the grandfathering

RELOAD
01-11-2015, 08:37 AM
Go get it now. Sooner or later, the liberals are going to get back in power, and one thing is for sure....they aren't going to make it any easier to get. I tell everyone the same thing. Get your restricted endorsement now, and buy at least one semi auto handgun with the shortest legal barrel you can find. Ask all the guys out there who don't have the 12(x) endorsements on their pals how much they wish they had known how things were going to go down, and how much they wish they'd acted when they had the chance.

what he said.

greywolf67nt
01-12-2015, 07:56 PM

X3
Just be fore warned that you are starting down a slippery slope.
This starts innocently enough as a hobby and as most can attest to on here becomes a full blown habit.
I bought a 1911 a month ago and am SO wanting to go to the range even though its -20 that I could almost scream.

FALover
01-12-2015, 08:08 PM
Just when you least expect it, someone will offer you a Colt SP-1 and you will have to say no just because of the letter R!

harbl_the_cat
01-13-2015, 11:34 AM
Oh here's a good reason not to get it...

You'll notice your bank account balance getting lower, your home having more gun cabinets full of handguns and AR15s and piles of ammunition, and you'll also start getting antsy when weeks have gone by without shooting.

Camo tung
01-13-2015, 11:36 AM
Go for it. It's like "Axe" for adults, women will find you irresistible.
YMMV.

Frank@NorthTrail
01-13-2015, 11:55 AM
I don't really plan on owning any restricteds although that could change.

I remember saying that LOL. Get it and don't look back. Good luck!

blacksmithden
01-13-2015, 11:58 AM

Just to add onto that, buy at least one centernfire revolver, and one 22 as well....again, the shorter the barrel, the better. That should cover you for most of any new "evil gun" crap they might come up with that may have grandfathering involved.

RimfireFans
01-19-2015, 07:37 PM
Reasons to get an RPAL

Guns
More guns
Different guns

And it may get harder to acquire in the future.

Petamocto
01-19-2015, 07:42 PM
Reasons to get an RPAL:
Guns
More guns
Different guns
And it may get harder to acquire in the future.

Ladies and gentlemen, je vous presente the Brevity World Champion for 2015.

Harbl, pay attention! This is how you say more with less.

webster
01-19-2015, 08:59 PM
I know you're already convinced, but I have to add myself to the Do It crowd. You never know when it may come in handy, and for something other than spending money. ;) My dad never had much reason to do it either, until my grandfather got sick and decided to pass all his guns down. Now Granddad's revolver is coming to me for safe keeping while Dad gets the full license he wishes he'd gotten in the first place. Good thing I have my RPAL, or it would be out of the family.

Steveo9mm
01-19-2015, 09:02 PM
You never know when that zombie apocolypse will happen. And you would kick yourself for not having that colt python

Petamocto
01-19-2015, 09:05 PM
You never know when that zombie apocolypse will happen. And you would kick yourself for not having that colt python

Rick didn't always use the Python, though!

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11/117031/3484128-rick.jpg

lone-wolf
01-19-2015, 09:24 PM
lol, I thought that said fleshlight.

Weekend Gunslingers
01-20-2015, 12:07 AM
When I went for mine i just wanted a handgun....so I got the Glock 17 Gen 4.....and an XCR-L...and an M4..and....and...and

Get it!

TheCenturion
01-20-2015, 10:47 AM
Just do it. There is literally zero reason not to, and plenty of reasons to.

WolfAmongSheep
01-21-2015, 11:48 AM
I know you're already convinced, but I have to add myself to the Do It crowd. You never know when it may come in handy, and for something other than spending money. ;) My dad never had much reason to do it either, until my grandfather got sick and decided to pass all his guns down. Now Granddad's revolver is coming to me for safe keeping while Dad gets the full license he wishes he'd gotten in the first place. Good thing I have my RPAL, or it would be out of the family.

I have to agree with webster. My grandfather decided to get rid of his guns when he got sick and they came to me while the other members of my family scrambled to get the RPAL.

Johnny TK
01-21-2015, 07:25 PM
I say just go for it as I wait patiently for the mail to bring me a surprise of one RPAL.

sharpsteel
02-02-2015, 02:08 PM
I went for both. They make you wait long enough to get one. Might as well get both at the same time.

bradzilla
02-19-2015, 06:01 AM
Same.. I figured for the extra time, and couple of bucks more.. might as well do the course/application process once... you buy cheap, you buy twice :-) I'd rather have it and never need it, than need and not have it myself. My first thoughts were that I wouldn't have any guns in the house, and only use the ones from the range.... now that my RPAL is finally issued, my thoughts are a changin'...lol...

road kill
02-20-2015, 06:15 AM
I would have an RPAL if i was a bit younger, i have possession only for the handguns i own, don't intend to buy any more and certainly won't be buying a rifle i can't take with me when i'm out in the pasture. Well at least not legally. ;D The RPAL is a few more bucks but if club shooting is all you do then go for it as you might want a nice 357 mag or an AR to enjoy.