PDA

View Full Version : Anybody familiar with Russian PU sniper scopes ?

RobSmith
01-11-2015, 01:32 PM
Treated myself to a reproduction 91/30 PU sniper rifle yesterday (call if the "Enemy at the gates" syndrome lol). Been fiddling with it a bit, in order to center the reticle on in the scope I end up with elevation values of 9 and zero windage, is this a "normal" setting ? Also I attempted to undo the elevation screws in order to slide the scale to 0 but the screws in question won't budge. I don't want to start banging on it for obvious reasons so does anyone have a trick to get those things turning ?

Prairie Dog
01-11-2015, 01:34 PM
any help? http://www.mosinnagant.net/sniper%20section/mosin-nagant-sighting.asp

RobSmith
01-11-2015, 01:44 PM
Not really since there's no mention of what would be the "correct" setting for a centered reticle nor how to deal with stuck turret screws ... Thanks though.

Satain
01-12-2015, 04:51 PM
Need pic's of these stuck screws
The top of the chevron should be centered at 100 meters the bottom should be 300 and it also takes in the wind drift of up to 10 km or a running man lead off.

RobSmith
01-12-2015, 05:19 PM
Yeah I'll take detailed pics of the gun it's markings and so on next time I go where she's stored. The more I read up about how zeroing this thing involved modification of the mount the more nervous I get since I'm pretty piss poor when it comes to working metal. Wish somebody would publish a handy dandy guide of how much of what results in what kind of thing. I did find one single reference that elevation at 900 meters is normal for a centered reticle so that checks out, with the reticle being in the upper 1/3 of the field of view when set at 100M. I know she's not "original" but dang is the thing pretty, even found a triangle and arrow marking on the mount which makes me wonder if it could be original "new old stock". Waiting for the first day of not so bloody cold weather to come by so I can give her a once over, good bore scrubbing and maybe boresight her. The only place I have access to where I can do that sort of thing is an unheated garage so mild weather is key unless I want to freeze my nuts off lol.

RobSmith
01-17-2015, 04:44 PM
Asked a couple of relatives to help me out yesterday with the sighting in .... Let's just say I might as well have been trying to herd cats. Neither of them understood the concept of a bore sighting. Fiddled for awhile only to find out the guy who was "sighting" was looking down the sights instead of the bore ... One guy couldn't keep his mitts off the scope turret dials so anytime any progress seemed to have been made we had to start over. Somebody got the not so bright idea to use a construction-grade lazer leveler and try to shine it down a bore that was anything but level, wasting I don't know how much time. One guy couldn't understand the concept of what we were doing altogether and just wanted to waste ammo ... The list goes on but the result is a few hours of sheer frustration and no progress made.