PDA

View Full Version : How to Choose a Holster (Cant)

Neil Burke
01-11-2015, 05:14 PM
G'day, so I've been looking into buying a holster for my pistol for a while with little success. Granted that's a little to be expected for owning an HK P30LS. Basically, I found three options, Blackhawk! Serpa (Out cause I don't like the release mechanism), Safariland ALS (out because releasing the holster would likely cause me to deactivate the external safety), and Raven Concealment. I got to try one of their holsters for a different firearm and I liked it well enough, but I don't know what cant I'd prefer. So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to determine, short of trial and error? (Ravens are a little pricy to do that with.) With the other two, I'd be able to adjust the belt clip to trial cant, but with the Raven its molded in. (Side note: What would be amazing though would be if after SHOT safariland came out with a fit for their GLS line.) Thank you.

Strewth
01-11-2015, 08:21 PM
Hum. Maybe someone else can point you towards a website or a DIY to try different cants (shoelace around bottom of holster to twist it?) I can only offer that it's personal preference, and that cants are generally for defensive carry - farther back the gun is, the more cant you want.

I bought an LHS holster for my CZ that's very adjustable, and I ended up leaving it neutral. Yay for personal opinions that don't help you:).

The Raven Concealment you're looking at; is that the Phantom? Can you adjust the belt clips to give you different cants?

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-63unu/uxoc9dc/products/81/images/402/RCS23__16832.1405320643.220.220.jpg?c=2
http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-63unu/uxoc9dc/products/115/images/420/RCS18__97337.1405320617.380.380.jpg?c=2

Wendell
01-12-2015, 07:13 AM
A straight up and down draw is what you want; that might mean a zero cant. Sometimes a person's belt - due to a great weight - will sag at the front; such a person might need a reverse cant just to accomplish a straight up and down draw. If you were carrying concealed there might be some room for debate, because a forward cant can help hide the pistol butt and minimize contact with the car seat, but - for use in Canada - a zero cant is almost certainly what you want.

Holster Talk Part 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=46EktyGjfY4#t=208)

Satain
01-12-2015, 04:43 PM
Safarilan ALS and don't look back
They have also a suede lining that will also stop the marring of ones finish on the firearm.
Truly worth the $$$ and I have bought them all.

Neil Burke
01-12-2015, 09:22 PM
Safarilan ALS and don't look back
They have also a suede lining that will also stop the marring of ones finish on the firearm.
Truly worth the $$$ and I have bought them all.

See, I would except the ALS releases with a thumb lever, for lack of a better term, which would most likely cause interference with my external safety on the pistol at best or cause me to deactivate the safety on release from holster at worse.

Wendell: I'm leaning towards a 0 cant as it is, but just cause it's for use in Canada doesn't mean i wouldn't want concealiblity for the cool factor (as I'd obviously not actually do anything illegal such as carry the firearm off range.) Otherwise, we'd all be shooting 22LR 'cept for LEO and MIL. ;) Good video. Thank you.

Strewth: Judging by the Pictures you can shift the loops up and down the holster and so an offset would allow for canting, but I'm also debating the QMS straps which I don't think work quite the same as the normal loops pictured.

Wendell
01-13-2015, 06:36 PM
If you have any kind of gut, a zero cant will function as an FBI cant.

Like it or not.

Grizz Axxemann
01-18-2015, 01:29 AM

Like it or not.
Being a guy with a sizeable gut, I beg to differ. I have two Blade-techs for my 1911. I have one in an FBI cant (which I prefer) and one that's at zero. When I use that one, it's still at zero.

Then again, this one is YMMV, but just to say that ALL fat guys are going to have this problem is BS, and I'm calling you on it.

harbl_the_cat
01-18-2015, 09:11 AM
Travis Haley sums up how I feel on the issue while sweeping his own hand... it's ok though - he's Travis Haley. [/sarc]

The rest of his points are valid though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imuOBvKCyKQ

I keep all my holsters at 3 o'clock and cant them as far back as I can.

I had a Blackhawk serpa that only had a partial rearward cant (Blackhawks have the adjustable backing, which is why I prefer them) and was noticing it was having a hugely negative impact on my draw and holster. I changed it to be fully canted rearword and immediately noticed it was more smooth to operate.

Neil Burke
01-18-2015, 11:13 AM
So many choices. Thank you Harbl.

Wendell
01-18-2015, 05:35 PM

Like it or not.

Being a guy with a sizeable gut, I beg to differ. I have two Blade-techs for my 1911. I have one in an FBI cant (which I prefer) and one that's at zero. When I use that one, it's still at zero.

Then again, this one is YMMV, but just to say that ALL fat guys are going to have this problem is BS, and I'm calling you on it.

Like you, I was speaking from experience. Most people wouldn't consider me "fat", but I do have a gut that makes the front of my belt sag. When the belt sags, a so-called zero-cant holster's actual cant can be closer to a 15 degree-forward-cant aka an 'FBI cant'. But I wasn't speaking of a person with an obese condition, or obesity; obesity - in my experience - is far too individual for me to speculate on it's effect on cant. A greater total circumference and waistband ride height, for example, can change everything (when everything is the degree of effect on cant at 3 O'clock).

Ironsight Kustoms
01-24-2015, 06:50 PM
I recently had a custom one made. Form fit for my 1911 out of kydex and designed as a hybrid between belt and drop leg design. Also had hard shell mag pouch made too.

Look up scorpion custom products on Facebook, they're great to deal with.