PDA

View Full Version : Baking Powder Biscuits

Prairie Dog
01-17-2015, 01:05 AM
Does anyone have a tried and true man proof recipe for baking powder biscuits?

Thanks.

Strewth
01-17-2015, 01:35 AM
I'll dig mine out tomorrow, but it's
2 cups flour
1/2 (ish, I like more) teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup COLD butter (or shortening)
3/4 cup milk
I think?
Flour, baking powder, salt in bowl; mix well.
Add the cold butter in small chunks; a fork works well to chop it up/make traintracks.
Add milk, but only stir/fork (hey, you've got the fork out) until mixed
Knead on flat floured surface...very little...5 or 6 folds?
Cut into circles with cup.
The trick for me was to mix in the milk/knead the dough as little as possible so they rise fluffy.
Can't remember the oven temperature:).
Makes about a dozen?

Dmay
01-20-2015, 07:38 AM
I make them quite a bit.....but never remember the recipe the same way twice. So quality varies....

Thanks Strewth....gonna try memorize yours....or hey, write it down!....there's a novel idea...

pitw
01-20-2015, 10:53 PM
Had these for supper and they were excellent.
Drop Biscuits Make 12
Blend 1 3/4 cups flour
4 tsp baking Powder
3/4 tsp salt
Cut in 1/3 cup marg/butter
Blend with fork or fingers to mix well.

add 1 cup milk
Stir to make a drop batter.
Drop from a tablespoon onto a greased baking sheet.
Bake in preheated 350F degree oven for 15-20 minutes
Enjoy

road kill
01-21-2015, 04:14 AM
These are what i make regularily.
1cup flour
4tbsp butter or marg. i use frozen butter and shred it in with a cheese grated
2tsp baking powder
1cup grated cheese
1/2cup cold water
mix flour,butter and baking powder like a pastry, add cheese then water. drop spoon fulls of mix onto greased baking sheet. Bake at 400f for 8-10 min.

Grey_Wolf
01-21-2015, 07:59 AM
2 cups flour
3/4 cup milk
I think?
Add the cold butter in small chunks; a fork works well to chop it up/make traintracks.
The trick for me was to mix in the milk/knead the dough as little as possible so they rise fluffy.
Makes about a dozen?

That's pretty close to what I make too though I add more milk like pitw for a drop biscuit and use a muffin tin. Don't forget that adding a little bacon drippings makes them real special :D

Candychikita
01-21-2015, 01:42 PM
Heh. I am taking great pleasure in this thread. Man proof? Or just easy?

2 1/4c Bisquick mix (1 c Bisquick is equivalent to one cup of flour, 1 teaspoons of baking powder, teaspoon of salt, and 2 1/2 tablespoons of oil or melted butter)
2/3 c milk
8-10 min @ 450F

You can use this recipe to do biscuits when you're out camping. Takes about 15 mins in a cast iron pan covered with tinfoil shoved in the coals (butter everywhere first for lubrication, keep an eye on it). In the woods I just use powdered milk and water for baking (4 tbsp powdered + 1 c water = 1 c milk) Save the regular milk for coffee.

Fresh wildberries in a pot with a little water, little more sugar to taste, smashed with a fork, heated till burbly = woods compote/jam. Biscuits and jam in the morning, mmm.

Savory packable biscuit you can throw in sharp cheddar, some mustard powder, garlic powder, chives/green onion, bacon bits.
Sweet packable biscuit you can throw in raisins or any sort of dried fruit

pitw
01-21-2015, 05:50 PM
Candy we is at least trying to feed ourselves.LOL
Good info on the wild berry jam. So many people look right past food for something to eat.

Candychikita
01-22-2015, 01:59 AM
Candy we is at least trying to feed ourselves.LOL.

You're right :D You guys all get bonus points in my books. This thread is a reminder of the things taken for granted...gradual onset of knowledge.

Full recipe, now that I am home. I actually use it to make scones more than biscuits:

2 c flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2c butter/margarine
2/3 c milk

Mix dry stuff. Cut in butter til crumbly. Pour milk into dry stuff. Mix quickly, don't over handle, cut your shapes. 425F, 15 Min.

If you add 1/2 c sugar and 1 egg, this is a scone recipe. Difference is that scones are sweeter and make better base for strawberry shortcakes (biscuit/scone, cut in half, fruit, whipped cream TA DA)

If you use muffin tins, put a little biscuit batter in the bottoms and up the sides, top with bacon, eggs, red pepper, onion, cheese and then more bacon...you have mini breakfast quiches aka bacon pies. Bite sized full egg breakfast (20 mins 375F)

Versatile recipe.

Grey_Wolf
01-23-2015, 08:41 AM
You're right :D You guys all get bonus points in my books. This thread is a reminder of the things taken for granted...gradual onset of knowledge.

Full recipe, now that I am home. I actually use it to make scones more than biscuits:

2 c flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2c butter/margarine
2/3 c milk

Mix dry stuff. Cut in butter til crumbly. Beat egg/milk, pour into dry stuff. Mix quickly, don't over handle, cut your shapes. 425F, 15 Min.

If you add 1/2 c sugar and 1 egg, this is a scone recipe. Difference is that scones are sweeter and make better base for strawberry shortcakes (biscuit/scone, cut in half, fruit, whipped cream TA DA)

If you use muffin tins, put a little biscuit batter in the bottoms and up the sides, top with bacon, eggs, red pepper, onion, cheese and then more bacon...you have mini breakfast quiches aka bacon pies. Bite sized full egg breakfast (20 mins 375F)

Versatile recipe.

Hmmm.... is this a test to see if we are paying attention to you? I've carefully re-read that list line by line and don't see any mention of an egg. Why oh why do women always insist on testing us? Wait! Bacon pie ..............!..... if you had mentioned that first you would (and should have know) have had our undivided attention for at least ten minutes or until the bacon pies were gone :)

kennymo
01-23-2015, 11:21 AM

If you're using muffin tins, use a slice or two of Black Forest ham in the trays, to hell with the dough, and fill with egg, cubed peppers, bacon bits, maybe a little green onion.....just grease the pan well so they don't stick. Maybe should have stuck this in the bacon thread instead of biscuits, but the world needs to know!!

Candychikita
01-23-2015, 11:46 AM
Hmmm.... is this a test to see if we are paying attention to you? I've carefully re-read that list line by line and don't see any mention of an egg. Why oh why do women always insist on testing us? Wait! Bacon pie ..............!..... if you had mentioned that first you would (and should have know) have had our undivided attention for at least ten minutes or until the bacon pies were gone :)

Sorry. Disclaimer at the beginning was that I use a near identical recipe to make scones more than biscuits. The scones have the egg...habit :D My bad :D Will edit :D

Waynetheman
01-23-2015, 01:15 PM
2 cups flour
3/4 cup milk
I think?
Makes about a dozen?

There isn't any bacon in this recipe, who are you and what have you done with the real strewth?

Strewth
01-23-2015, 08:42 PM
There isn't any bacon in this recipe, who are you and what have you done with the real strewth?

You know, I don't think I've ever added bacon to these...always in the cornbread, but never the biscuits? Weird. This weekend's bacon project is topping the roast beef with bacon, does that count? Then fill small bread pans with Yorkshires, garlic potatoes and gravy, and voila! Instant cholesterol!

Still haven't got off my fat arse and looked for the recipe:red:

JustBen
01-23-2015, 09:45 PM
http://gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?1447-Parmesan-Rosemary-Biscuits

I like these.

Waynetheman
01-23-2015, 10:27 PM
You know, I don't think I've ever added bacon to these...always in the cornbread, but never the biscuits? Weird. This weekend's bacon project is topping the roast beef with bacon, does that count? Then fill small bread pans with Yorkshires, garlic potatoes and gravy, and voila! Instant cholesterol!

Still haven't got off my fat arse and looked for the recipe:red:

I just made a roast this week too, was experimenting with a reverse sear which turned out pretty good, I don't know how bacon would affect it though. I put bacon in the potatoes instead.

Prairie Dog
01-25-2015, 01:16 AM
COLONEL SANDERS’ KENTUCKY BISCUITS
Makes 13 biscuits

1 1/2 cup flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
Lard or shortening the size of large egg
1 scant cup milk, divided use

Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together into a mixing bowl. Make a nest in the flour mixture, add most of milk, put in shortening, begin squeezing the lard and flour in the milk until thoroughly mixed, add rest of milk if needed and mix. Turn on to floured board, knead until consistency desired, cut into biscuits. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden.

*from a FB recipe site: https://www.facebook.com/NellsOldFashionRecipes?fref=nf

Rory McCanuck
02-01-2015, 10:14 PM

2 c flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2c butter/margarine
2/3 c milk

Mix dry stuff. Cut in butter til crumbly. Pour milk into dry stuff. Mix quickly, don't over handle, cut your shapes. 425F, 15 Min.
Worked a treat, thank you!
Had to up it to 1C of milk; it was just too crumbly to stick together at all.
Turned out really well for a first try.

Candychikita
02-01-2015, 11:28 PM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/5a/5af1800dbd18b30ced7a98fd63f0fe1f411091a0da880f6bf4 dcdd967cce8270.jpg

:D Glad it worked out for you :D

Edward Teach
02-02-2015, 01:24 PM
If you're using muffin tins, use a slice or two of Black Forest ham in the trays, to hell with the dough, and fill with egg, cubed peppers, bacon bits, maybe a little green onion.....just grease the pan well so they don't stick. Maybe should have stuck this in the bacon thread instead of biscuits, but the world needs to know!!

On that note, Sticking bacon in waffles is good too. Pour the batter and then lay some strips on top and then close the lid. If you like your bacon cooked a little more, brown it first.