PDA

View Full Version : The: I am a mega newb to archery thread

hillbillyr
05-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Let's start this with full disclosure

I don't know anything about archery. My father has a old weak recurve bow that I have shot twice. The last time I shot it I found it to be more of a novelty than anything else. Sure you could kill something at 30 yards if everything went perfect and the target was very large.

I was measuring a counter reno the other day and the woman I am working for asked if I wanted a bow. Sure I said, I have always been curious. So I now have a Bear , Polar LTD 6 pulley bow circa late 70's. A good place to start IMHO.

I got the bow home with a bunch of arrows with fletchings in various states of decay and NO arrow rest. Being I have more curiosity than brains I had to shoot the bow and used my finger as a rest with one of the arrows the fletching "appeared" to be good. I did end up with a large portion of1980' brittle plastic flething embedded deep in my finger. No worries though, I was aiming at a 4'x4' plastic target 100 yards away, without knowing how to aim, I came very close to my POA with the target arrow burried 8" in the ground.

I was very impressed with the bow, the pain of removing old fletching, I deserved.

Two evenings latter I met up with a friend to show him my new found bow and try his. His bow was torqued at or past 80# and is a single cam bow with what he thinks has 60% let off. For a newb with no technique it was a good pull and I am not a weak man.

His bow was setup with a peep sight and a trigger. I was within 3 inches at 20 yards for 4 shots but 2 of them, the last one specifically were painful

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx137/hillmanr2/IMG_2377.jpg

After some reaserch as was stated in the OT thread it seems a kisser button and peep sight is the way I will go.

I hope very much BRI and others can explain in the proper detail;

Peep sights
Kisser button
Trigger
arrow pinch

and all the other things, a complete and total ingnoramious like myself needs to know.

I am headed into the city (shudder) on Saturday to have my bow checked out and a new string, peep, kisser, rest (whisker?) and string installed.

I will buy some new arrows as well

Any and all ultra newb infromation both general and specific will contribute to this site :)

Candychikita
05-22-2012, 08:31 PM
heh, my inner arm looked like that when i tried someone else's bow with her...just wait until it goes all green and yellow :D :D you can get an arm guard if you're concerned about smacking your arm bad like that again. i figure if i smack my inner arm, i deserve the welt...and should either smarten up with how i'm holding the bow, or it's quittin' time.

hand position is a big thing. you should be holding your bow not with your knuckles vertical, but with your knuckles more horizontal. like this:
http://www.archerygold.com/images/handingrip2.jpg
with this part of your hand contacting the bow the most, like this image:
http://www.archerygold.com/images/pressurepoint.jpg
if your hand is holding the bow right and you're not hyperextending your elbow, you won't hit your arm like that...

if you've got your bow in a death grip, it will "woggle" left and right, and you will always miss. you should have a strap around your wrist that is attached to your bow...trust it. (or make it trustworthy, so you can relax your grip) for me, i have a tough time not doing a death grip. it was recommended to me by some of the target shooters i shoot with to make your fingers into a shape like you're holding an invisible egg and it will stop you from having a death grip on your bow and changing your hand position. this sounds positively retarded, i know, but i'll try to take some pictures tomorrow while i'm shooting so that i can better explain this hand position.

i was referred to archerytalk.com for a forum full of archery Q & A and just browsing there is informative :D

tell the shop you need your draw length measured, and they'll set you up with that information (if you don't currently know it), as it's really important for how your bow is set up.

there's a couple of different triggers available. if you can, try them all out and see which one feels the best to you. if you are using a trigger, they'll put a little loop of string on your string so that your trigger has a place to go, which decreases the setting that they will set your bow up at. this is important info for your bow shop to know; that you'd like to use a trigger :D

(you don't have to use a trigger, i know a few people that use fingers and that little finger flappy...try them all out, and save yourself the cost of having your bow set up again if you change your mind)

good luck. that's all i can tell you...

hillbillyr
05-22-2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks Candy

I am going to start using my fingers as the trigger and I have the "finger spacer"? (SIC)

I read you are using a whisker biscut, perhaps you could give some more detail on it than is availble from the retail sites.

BrotherRockeye
05-22-2012, 10:39 PM
Keep in mind that I'm old school and for me archery is about hunting.
I target shot solely to practice for hunting and make my buddies look bad :D
I stopped learning a long time ago and I'm not up on the newest shortcut gear...it doesn't interest me.

the "trigger" is called a "release"
the "finger spacer" or "flappy" is called a "tab"

If you ever plan on hunting stay away from all the crap that only works in perfect conditions in full light.
Simplest is best when hunting.
A release can break or malfunction. If you insist on using one,buy two that are identical and use them both for practice. Carry the spare WITH YOU when hunting.
If you have a properly consistent anchor you don't need a peep sight.they suck at low light anyway.
You don't need a sling,they are useless and get in the way. They were designed for open hold target shooting iirc.
I could go on and on but you get the point...

You are shooting fingers.Good choice!
you already have a tab (you can pull the plastic part off and throw it away once you learn control)
Get a $5 flipper rest...they're prolly $15 now...
A good set of sights that you like (fibre optic can be good)
kitty whiskers (string silencers)
A kisser button will help to find and maintain a good anchor point.
Have that baby tuned!

Forget the fancy stuff until you are comfortable and proficient. There is plenty of time to piddle your cash away on bling later.

Grip- ideally your bow should be suspended between your fingers on the string and the crook (dip between your index finger and thumb) of your hand with your knuckles about 45 degrees
Actually holding onto the bow with your front hand imparts torque...that's bad...

That's 2 days of typing for me and my index fingers are smokin...
Archery is it's own reward but takes time to become proficient. Enjoy it,you're first bull will give you a shat eatin grin for days!

Candychikita
05-22-2012, 11:06 PM
brother rockeye's terminology is far superior to mine. i only know what is right because someone placed my hands this way, i'm more of a hands on learner for this sort of stuff :D :D

the brother also mentioned anchoring. finding the right anchor point and consistently using it is super essential. i pull my string so that the back of my hand touches my ear, literally tuck my thumb underneath my jaw, and touch the tip of my nose to the string. that's three spots on my head that i have anchored in place consistently before i even think about aiming - your anchor points might vary, find what works for you. heh, you can tell a newbie if they don't touch their nose with the string...it's not going to bite you honey, its going AWAY from you :D :D

i was also taught, by multiple sources, to have my finger on the release before i aim...which is a huge DO NOT CROSS OVER TO GUNS. the logic of this was that as i move my finger to squeeze the release, i will lose my target and need to re-aim when i get my finger on the release. make your own decisions on this one.

as you're shooting you also want to follow through with your shot. don't just squeeze the release and figure you're 'done'. your shooting hand should continue on past your ear and towards your back shoulder, otherwise you screw your shot up.

man, maybe i'll make a video. i love this stuff :D :D

my whisker biscuit was recommended - i love whiskers ;) and i love biscuits ;) so why not?! ;) bahahah. it's easy to load up, though i'm still somewhat slow because i'm in no rush. if you're going for speed loading, i'm sure there are other options available. it's quiet, and it is lightweight, which were both key factors in choosing it as well. something i recently learned is different rests means your arrows go in a certain way otherwise your fletches will catch on it and/or something about spin on your shot like a football should be thrown...watch carefully when someone shows you where the cock feather goes. sometimes people have their cock feather (the odd coloured feather) facing up, sometimes it's facing out. my whisker biscuit will do both ways the way my arrows are fletched, but it definitely likes one way better than the other.

ok, NOW i think i'm done.

superbrad
05-23-2012, 06:53 AM
Some good advice here from both Candy and Brother Rockeye.... I think the kitty whiskers are a must for silencing your striings and getting a better "feel" for your shot... also, they look damn cool IMOP....lol.. I personally like peep sights but that is just me.... a good peep sight and a nice crosshair type sight instead of pins and you will be looking at a view similar to a rifle at short yardage....

Last piece of advice... practice practice practice.... If you are going to hunt something like a deer with your bow you need to be well versed in shooting... otherwise you are setting yourself up fo rlong tracking, a heartbreak and a needlessly suffering animal....

JustBen
05-23-2012, 09:05 AM
A quick note on the practice...

Field/target points do not fly the same as broadheads.
Mechanical broadheads do not fly the same as fixed broadheads.

I use field points for the majority of my practice.
I use judo points for shooting gophers.
I use fixed blade broadheads for hunting.

Field points are good for learning form and technique, but be sure to spend some time launching broadheads down range BEFORE you head to the field.

BrotherRockeye
05-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Candy uses 3 of my 4 anchor point references...not a coincidence I'm thinking...they are solid and repeatable!

A whisker biscuit is great for releases but is not needed for fingers,likewise with the fall away types.
Shooting fingers takes you back to basics.
the arrow rest simply holds the arrow off the riser so it will clear the vanes for flight.
Helical fletching is a must imo!
Yes you lose aprox 3fps but it is the equivalent of a rifled barrel to a smooth bore,far easier to make you field points and broad heads fly true.And yes with enough fiddling and collar weights etc you CAN make your field points and broad heads hit in the same place.Hardly worth the effort imo though I've done it.
Better to practice with FP's and have 2 or 3 broadheads to practice with that are the same as the ones you plan to hunt with.Weight is the all important factor here.Expecting a 140gr BH to hit where a 125gr FP does is unrealistic.
Cross hair sights are great for hunting and I have one that I love. If you go that route keep your cross hairs to a minimum to start. 1 for 20yds until you are comfortable. Keep the visuals to a minimum while learning.The less your brain has to process in the beginning the easier it will be to make the important things like anchor point and release second nature.
Candy raises a good point with follow through.
When shooting fingers you do not want to "let go" of the string. At full draw just relax your hand and let the string "slip" from your fingers. It should be a surprise when it happens. Consciously "letting go" of the string will cause bad things to happen.
Ok used up my finger tips again...better go dip them in cold water... :D

Candychikita
05-23-2012, 01:54 PM
brother rockeye, you can't just leave a person hanging. what's your 4th anchor point? :D

hillbillyr
05-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Wow lot's of good info here. For mega newbs like myself I will ad this simple diagram of a compound bow and have used links so people can see what we are talking about
http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx137/hillmanr2/bow_compound_parts.gif

I was leaning towards a whisker biscut (http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.trophyridge.com/images/rests/quick-shot.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.trophyridge.com/arrow-rests/whisker-biscuit/&h=228&w=300&sz=38&tbnid=ZvauiHmYADqw3M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=118&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwhisker%2Bbiscuit%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo% 3Du&zoom=1&q=whisker+biscuit&usg=__JKrPs4GMw3tRY_rD0SGLNeGyUEM=&docid=qJOK3Ae6p7ODRM&sa=X&ei=0n-9T8XGC8atiALgybXJDQ&ved=0CHQQ9QEwAg&dur=3) because I thought it would create a more easily repetable hold on my arrows without having to worry about the arrow slipping off a fall away rest (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Archery/Arrow-Rests%7C/pc/104791680/c/104693580/sc/104191380/Trophy-Taker-Shakey-Hunter-Fall-Away-Arrow-Rest-Black/746053.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhunti ng-archery-arrow-rests%2F_%2FN-1100037%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104191380&WTz_l=SEO%3Bcat104191380)

Here is a video I found describing anchor points. Personaly I would rather watch Candy explain it, you have better hair ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_cnAKu0J_o

As to the finger spacer, flappy LOL now correctly and officially know as a tab you can more info here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_tab)

BrotherRockeye
05-23-2012, 07:20 PM
brother rockeye, you can't just leave a person hanging. what's your 4th anchor point? :D
Index at corner of mouth
second on jaw @ chin
thumb under jaw bone
string on nose

hbr,shooting fingers,all you need is an inexpensive "flipper" rest. They come in all shapes and sizes from stick on to screw through. Put a layer of "moleskin" on any surface your arrow may contact on the riser,shelf and rest.
Many rests out there are designed to be used with a release and you will be fighting to keep an arrow on.
In the beginning arrows were launched right off the riser shelf.
The introduction of plastic vanes made this less than ideal as feathers are far more forgiving.
I have gone through all the cool gizmos and neat gadgets along the way.
Trust me on this,start out with a simple,inexpensive rest.You can always upgrade later if you like.

Oh and buy a big plastic tool/tackle box...you'll need it for all the crap you accumulate :D

hillbillyr
05-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Then that is what I will get on Saturday. I will post pics of everything once I have it and a write up of what I may have learned :)

BrotherRockeye
05-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Make sure to buy one that is adjustable in/out from the riser so you can tune for center shot and vane clearance.

Candychikita
05-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Index at corner of mouth
second on jaw @ chin
thumb under jaw bone
string on nose

rock on. i do that when shooting fingers with a recurve - good to know the information is universal :D :D

i shot a video yesterday, the usual spiel i tell my newbie girlfriends, but i'm a little scared to post it...apparently i'm not as good of a shot when i'm nervous (but consistent at least). started shooting the video in an empty room and then there was an alarming crowd, including the instructor who taught me, all watching. ack.

i will say though, that i should try the video thing more often, because it's an excellent self-critiquing tool. my form looks pretty good, could follow through a tad more, and boy do i ever blink a lot. bahahah

hillbillyr
05-24-2012, 05:27 PM
rock on. i do that when shooting fingers with a recurve - good to know the information is universal :D :D

i shot a video yesterday, the usual spiel i tell my newbie girlfriends, but i'm a little scared to post it...apparently i'm not as good of a shot when i'm nervous (but consistent at least). started shooting the video in an empty room and then there was an alarming crowd, including the instructor who taught me, all watching. ack.

i will say though, that i should try the video thing more often, because it's an excellent self-critiquing tool. my form looks pretty good, could follow through a tad more, and boy do i ever blink a lot. bahahah

Post it anyways no one will judge you on your shooting.

BrotherRockeye
05-24-2012, 10:41 PM
wish I could watch videos...friggin backwoods dialup... :(

archery demands concentration...not surprising that our best shooting happens when we are alone...

Candychikita
05-26-2012, 08:56 AM
ok, here goes nothing :D be kind :D

http://youtu.be/W5m6TiC11yU

superbrad
05-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Great video CC..... needs more Pom Pom.... lol... ;)

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqEOKkUE5RTWcLGgBOdqvNV,R!~~60_35.JPG

RobSmith
05-26-2012, 12:40 PM
The legendary CC has posted an actual video ... All bow to CC!!!

ok, here goes nothing :D be kind

hillbillyr
05-26-2012, 09:55 PM
ok, here goes nothing :D be kind :D

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My 13 year old daughter said she is going to sigh up for archery now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW after I showed her the real woman and guns thread, she has fired a 22-250, and is now in the big game draw this year for Elk, Off topic but You are inflencing people !

Thanks CC!!!!

hillbillyr
05-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Well I went to the city today. Turns out the owner of the store is the only one that supposedly has a freaking clue.

So his father in law couldn't get his ship together to find me a rest in the 2.5 hours I left him my bow and could not properly measure draw weight. Godamn I am salty

My experience today is best summed up as freaking ]DERP

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx137/hillmanr2/Sons-Of-Guns-Stephanie-Hayden-Derp.jpg

Candychikita
05-26-2012, 10:51 PM
sorry to hear you went to such a crappy shop hillbillyr :( try another one? contact a local archery club for a referral to someone that knows their stuff?

it's awesome to hear about your daughter joining the ranks! :D :D it only takes a little stone in the pond to make it ripple :D the number of new ladies coming out to the archery nights is really promising - hoping that we can get the same kind of buzz going for the gun shooting nights as well :D :D going for one anti at a time.

my mom did a video for a recurve bow w fingers, but she'll kill me if i post it :D i might redo her recurve video next week if i can get it done before the hoards arrive.

FlyingHigh
05-26-2012, 11:12 PM
good video Candy. :)

i haven't shot my bow in over a year. i should get on that.

RobSmith
05-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Haven't shot a bow since childhood ... One of them Crappy Tire kid thingies dad bought me once ... Could never hit anything with it no matter how many thousands of times I tried .... Always ended up fetching my pellet gun ... I could hit a blade of grass at 50 feet with the gun. With a bow missing by 3 feet I'd consider a "good shot" ...

hillbillyr
05-27-2012, 08:15 AM
sorry to hear you went to such a crappy shop hillbillyr :( try another one? contact a local archery club for a referral to someone that knows their stuff?

it's awesome to hear about your daughter joining the ranks! :D :D it only takes a little stone in the pond to make it ripple :D the number of new ladies coming out to the archery nights is really promising - hoping that we can get the same kind of buzz going for the gun shooting nights as well :D :D going for one anti at a time.

my mom did a video for a re curve bow w fingers, but she'll kill me if i post it :D i might redo her recurve video next week if i can get it done before the hoards arrive.

I would have gone to another one, if another existed. Perhaps Melville has one unfortunately it is 1:45 hour drive each way instead of the 55 minutes to Yorktown. I left my bow there with my buddies who is getting his restrung.

Sometimes it is inconvenient to live in the middle of nowhere but, I can shoot a bow or a gun off my door step, literally, so that makes up for it :)

Now the challenge is to modify the end of a fishing rod so I can mount a casting reel to my rod where the counter weight would go.

We'es be hunting carp :)

A country boy can survive.

superbrad
05-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Hillbilly... I live in the seaway valley... Carp haven unfortunately... There are piles of good rigs as you describe... I shot one 40 pounds plus once and the local record is 90!...

I vote this and candy's vid gets stickied... Good info here... On the condition candy gets some cat whiskers on that pink bow... Lol...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

superbrad
05-28-2012, 06:53 AM
http://www.tradout.com/product_images/j/621/DSC04347__16492_zoom.JPG

Tons of fun with waders on...... or from a carp boat.... you can actually charter them here....

http://www.bowhunting.com/blog/image.axd?picture=2012%2F5%2Fbf3.jpg

Candychikita
06-01-2012, 07:54 PM
heh, hillbillyr - it happens :D :D no one wants to watch the video that goes along with this :D :D after it gets puffy i keep smacking the same spot...this night was a write off :D :D

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/547201_10151002315410609_597120608_12571969_278253 345_n.jpg

hillbillyr
06-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Damn!!!

Gonna be badass in a few days

My bow is still in the city, I hope it to go next weekend and get it, the rest, a proper draw weight and some arrows. I hope. There is an archery club in Yorkton but it is way to far for me to bother with. The store in Yorkton is the only one within a few hundred km/s so it will have to do. At least there is one.

Candychikita
06-02-2012, 12:35 AM
nah, it's not as bad as some days :D mark's fading already (smacked it weds). too distracted, but too stubborn to quit shootin' :D :D

the trip to get your bow set up properly for you is worth it! :D ... i'm only slightly biased though :D ...

BrotherRockeye
06-02-2012, 08:11 AM
that's the kind of situation that led me to learn to do it myself...a bow square, a serving jig and a few other things and I have never had to trust my outfits to anyone else...I even ended up custom fletching arrows for the local shop way back...
only problem with that is I ended up working on all my buddies bows...

hillbillyr
06-02-2012, 09:12 AM
I have no doubt that will be the road I will take as well. It seems strange in a way, living in a place so full of amazing hunting opportunities around almost literaly every bend, both gun and archery shops are very few and very far apart. I know the lack of population has to do with both but it seems as though there is a larger demand than supply as far as hunting shops go.

BrotherRockeye
06-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Hunting is a seasonal endeavor for most folks...the business might boom for a few months in the fall and be dead the rest of the year...
feast or famine isn't a good basis for a business model ;)

egr
08-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Just read this thread a couple hours ago. I am pretty new to archery as well and just starting to practice with an old Ben Pearson recurve and some mixed match arrows just to get my fingers in shape. Right now I have built my own 15 yard range in the back yard by shooting through an open door with a makeshift target parked in front of the overhead doors inside the garage. Got my groupings cut in half with the help of some of CC's tips and vid. Just put about one hundred holes in a 12" circle, I know its not the greatest but my equipment is a little out of date and the arrows are in poor condition. Still need to work on form and find my anchor points. CC I Would really like to see your mom's recurve video or yours if you had made it.