PDA

View Full Version : Vacation - Remake

Strangeday
01-25-2015, 10:42 PM
A friend of mine in the film business tells me she is currently working on a film that is a remake of National Lampoons Vacation. She said Ed Helms and Christina Applegate are the Griswolds.

Some movies should NOT be remade.....

coastal
01-25-2015, 10:47 PM
There is only one Clarke Griswold.

Strewth
01-25-2015, 11:46 PM

This.
Why remake this instead of making a new slapstick? Robin William's "RV" was hilarious, didn't need to draw on National Lampoon for that?

Foxer
01-26-2015, 02:04 AM
It's official - hollywood has done run the hell out of new ideas.

Forbes/Hutton
01-26-2015, 03:22 AM

It was apparent when they decided that their best idea was to redo the brady bunch. Since then it's been remakes of old classics or sequels. They need to let one of those California wild fires roar through Hollywood, it'll clear out all the old, dead wood.

Strangeday
01-26-2015, 10:48 AM
It was apparent when they decided that their best idea was to redo the brady bunch. Since then it's been remakes of old classics or sequels. They need to let one of those California wild fires roar through Hollywood, it'll clear out all the old, dead wood.

they remade the Brady Bunch?

kennymo
01-26-2015, 10:56 AM

Happened long ago. I really hate this remake everything attitude that's been ongoing for the last decade or so. Hollywood's been 'modernizing' old movies since the 50's but it's been a real onslaught for a while now. Out of the dozens upon dozens you can probably count the good ones on one hand..... True Grit was done justice at least. And I remember Total Recall not being completely awful...

Foxer
01-26-2015, 11:31 AM
Happened long ago. I really hate this remake everything attitude that's been ongoing for the last decade or so. Hollywood's been 'modernizing' old movies since the 50's but it's been a real onslaught for a while now. Out of the dozens upon dozens you can probably count the good ones on one hand..... True Grit was done justice at least. And I remember Total Recall not being completely awful...
yeah, not to mention turning out like 15 batman and spiderman origin story movies :)

Frank@NorthTrail
01-26-2015, 12:13 PM
http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsQ/14163-13444.gif

Cousin Eddy is not impressed.

Strangeday
01-27-2015, 09:04 AM
http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsQ/14163-13444.gif

Cousin Eddy is not impressed.

Hey FRANK!

How are you? Are you still working out of Oakville? Want to grab lunch?

Clinteastwoody
01-27-2015, 11:23 PM
yeah, not to mention turning out like 15 batman and spiderman origin story movies :)
True that! I cant stand the new comic movies the majority are garbage. All started with that Toby Mcgoofball character in spiderman ughhh

blacksmithden
01-28-2015, 01:15 AM

I have to agree with that. There has only been one sequel I looked forward to....The Blues Brothers. I thought...man...I'm glad they waited....they picked the right guy when they went with John Goodman. God...what a letdown. You can't can't improve on the classics.

Foxer
01-28-2015, 07:30 AM
Well guys, in seriousness I'll tell you what's happened in "hollywood". Back in the day, producers and studios spent their time looking for that "new story", something fresh and imaginative that would really wow the audiences and such. Sure - they also did the 'form' movie - watch any 4 or errol flynns movies and you'll note they tend to write the script for the actor and his supporting people because they know that 'formula' will be a hit (any of tom cruise's early works were pretty much the same :) ) Movies like that were generally good hits and kept the money coming but it was those big blockbuster successes that really paid the bills.

But you took a risk - what you THOUGHT was going to be a blockbuster might be a dud. And actors figured out that if they were in a bunch of successful movies, they could basically charge enough money to equal the entire net worth of kenya for their time, so the 'formula' movies were less and less profitable.

The solution that the industry came up with was to create a formula and method of calculating how many people would go to a movie JUST BECAUSE of what the movie was about, regardless of whether or not it was any good. Then they just drop anything into that formula and they know how much they'll make. For example - they can say that based on how popular spider man is, if they make a movie about spider man a minimum of 2 million people will go to see it no matter if it's good or bad. So - they'll may profit if they keep the budget to xxx guaranteed. Now - go find someone to knock us off a script.

They have sophisticated methods for calculating this - but it works. "Thor" - we know how popular he is based on x research, and a movie about him will draw xxx number of people.

Now - obviously they TRY to make the movie as good as they can, but they really don't care as long as the movie gets made because xxx number of people will go see it anyway. If it's a success, they can calculate how many people would go see the sequel, regardless of how good it is.

The problem with that is you CAN'T run those numbers on anything that's ORIGINAL. You need something the audience has been exposed to before either in other films or books or tv or something so that you can judge how popular the characters are and how many people will go see it.

So, original movies pretty much die off. Nobody wants to make them because you can't guarantee they'll be successful. So what you wind up with is 34 batmans, 59 spidermans, 25 avengers (and related character) movies, the lord of the rings, the hobbit (stretched into 3 movies somehow), 7 harry potters, x-men, etc etc etc. And of course the very worst offender of all - Battleship.

ALL of those were books, comics, movies etc in the past that they could gauge how many people would go and see just because they read the hobbit, or harry potter, etc.

ANd that's why we don't see very many original movies coming out any more. They know that people loved "vacation" - and xxx number will go see the new one just because of that. IT's low/no risk for them.

Hollywood today has completely stifled the creative process and there's just not a lot of interest in finding killer writers with great new ideas any more.

kennymo
01-28-2015, 07:54 AM
True that! I cant stand the new comic movies the majority are garbage. All started with that Toby Mcgoofball character in spiderman ughhh

OK, but you have to like Guardians, right?

Clinteastwoody
01-28-2015, 07:57 AM
yea guardians was actually one of the best ive seen

Foxer
01-28-2015, 08:02 AM
yea guardians was actually one of the best ive seen

"We're just like Kevin Bacon!"

chuckbuster
01-28-2015, 08:34 AM
And on the topic of sacrilegious remakes: Ghostbusters. Yup, it's official, and with an all female cast of mainly SNL "talent".

Frank@NorthTrail
01-28-2015, 10:03 AM
And on the topic of sacrilegious remakes: Ghostbusters. Yup, it's official, and with an all female cast of mainly SNL "talent".

Ya, saw that yesterday. No thanks.

kennymo
01-28-2015, 10:35 AM

I said this on Facebook already.....without Bill Murray, there is no ghostbusters....

chuckbuster
01-28-2015, 11:30 AM
I said this on Facebook already.....without Bill Murray, there is no ghostbusters....

Yup. Another remake that should not see the light of day.

RangeBob
01-28-2015, 12:45 PM
For example - they can say that based on how popular spider man is, if they make a movie about spider man a minimum of 2 million people will go to see it no matter if it's good or bad. So - they'll may profit if they keep the budget to xxx guaranteed. Now - go find someone to knock us off a script.
The first Spiderman movie was a risk, but did amazingly well.
I would have used Star Trek as an example -- the J.J. Abrams Star Trek reboots (2009, 2013) were terrible to trekers, but they all saw it.

So what you wind up with is 34 batmans, 59 spidermans, 25 avengers (and related character) movies, the lord of the rings, the hobbit (stretched into 3 movies somehow), 7 harry potters, x-men, etc etc etc.

see "Franchises and film series" at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films_in_the_United_States_and_Canada#Fra nchises_and_film_series
for data on those examples, and better grouping.

And that's why we don't see very many original movies coming out any more. Hollywood today has completely stifled the creative process and there's just not a lot of interest in finding killer writers with great new ideas any more.

Actor George Clooney did Ocean's Twelve (2004) so that he could get financing to do "Good Night, and Good Luck (2005)".

Director Luc Besson wanted to do "Lucy (2014)" for ten years. But did {Léon: The Professional, The Fifth Element, La Femme Nikita, The Transporter, District B13, Taken, and sequels, etc} first. Given his successes, its odd that Luc Besson doesn't have name recognition.

Unlike say, Director Stanley Kubrick also leveraged his past -- but people would go to see his films because they could be marketed as 'Directed by Stanley Kubrick'. Similar for Steven Spielberg, Quentin Tarantino, and perhaps James Cameron and Clint Eastwood.