PDA

View Full Version : MP Sana Hassainia takes flak for poor vote attendance record

Billythreefeathers
01-27-2015, 04:10 PM
MP Sana Hassainia takes flak for poor vote attendance record

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/mp-sana-hassainia-takes-flak-for-poor-vote-attendance-record-1.2933570

ndependent MP Sana Hassainia, who has two children, says she has made a choice to be there for her family, rather than attend votes in the House of Commons.

Independent MP Sana Hassainia from Montreal is under fire for her work ethic, earning the worst vote attendance record in the House of Commons last year.

Hassainia ran as a member of Parliament with the NDP in the Verchères riding.

However, last August, she left the party over what she said was a disagreement on policy relating to Israel.

Quebec NDP MP Sana Hassainia defects over Mideast position
But the NDP's press secretary said the falling out was due to Hassainia's attendance record.

In 2014, she was present for just 16 of 269 votes in the House of Commons.

Hassainia has two children and has said she has made a choice to be there for her family.

'I allowed myself to do this because it's not my little voice that makes a difference.'
- MP Sana Hassainia on being present for 16 of 269 votes
"It's very, very rare that a vote passes with a majority government, so I allowed myself to do this because it's not my little voice that makes a difference," she told CBC News in French.

Hassainia also said she didn't think her vote mattered as an Independent MP against the government.

Hassainia was present in the House of Commons Tuesday. She rose during question period to ask the government what it was doing to reunite blogger Raif Badawi, who is jailed in Saudi Arabia, with his family in Canada.

Absent in riding

A former employee who worked at Hassainia's constituency office said the MP hasn't been visible in the riding either.

Jonathan Pare said he would often meet with constituents in Hassainia's place.

"The people tell us, 'It's you who is here, not her. How can that be?' She must be there," he said.

Pare said he quit after he realized how uninvolved Hassainia was in her duties as an MP.

Billythreefeathers
01-27-2015, 04:12 PM
No show,, no pay,, dock her 94% of her wages

There's an NDP seat they won't be getting back

Foxer
01-27-2015, 06:06 PM
I'm sorry - Sana Hassainia is just too close to 'Hanna Montana" for me to take any of this seriously.

Swampdonkey
01-27-2015, 06:26 PM
Who'd think an NDP member doesn't show up for work?

Mark-II
01-27-2015, 06:47 PM
And treats it more like welfare than work...

I forget... Did we ever get a firm and clear mechanism for Recall in place? Seems this one ought to be turfed

Foxer
01-27-2015, 06:51 PM
I forget... Did we ever get a firm and clear mechanism for Recall in place? Seems this one ought to be turfed

Not federally. Only about 9 months to the election anyway, wouldn't be time. Hopefully her constituents will see her on her way. Then she'll have LOTS of time to spend with the family.

Swampdonkey
01-27-2015, 06:52 PM
Was their dispute over support for Israel or whether it exists at all?

Foxer
01-27-2015, 06:56 PM
Was their dispute over support for Israel or whether it exists at all?

Hard to say - she never showed up to the press conference to explain.

Swampdonkey
01-27-2015, 06:56 PM
Before we get too judgemental, what's Justin's truancy rate?

He probably shows up for attendance and then loiters in the smoke pit.

Forbes/Hutton
01-27-2015, 06:58 PM
This is the same twit that showed up for a vote (one of the few she should up for apparently) with her baby and had a tantrum in the media because the speaker told her the baby wasn't allowed in the chamber. Too bad the speaker didn't tell Kevin Vickers to toss her out.

Foxer
01-27-2015, 06:58 PM

They don't post official records so it's hard to say. But - really horrible would be a good approximation.

Forbes/Hutton
01-27-2015, 07:01 PM
"In 2014, she was present for just 16 of 269 votes in the House of Commons."

This year she'll run as a Lieberal. JT will want to keep her around as she makes his record look good.

Forbes/Hutton
01-27-2015, 07:04 PM

HowdTheyVote.ca used to track the munber of votes the MP was present for. The site was shut down in 2012:mad1:

IIRC JT showed for less votes than Harper and Harper was travelling the world on Canada's business.

Edward Teach
01-28-2015, 12:07 PM
For a lot of politicians, it's better all around when they do nothing.

Pizzed
01-28-2015, 02:25 PM
Unaccountable for 4 years. Nice gig if you can get it.

And I'll believe the wiki version of what happened - the NDP gave her the boot.

However, according to the Canadian Press, sources within the NDP subsequently claimed that Hassainia had never expressed concerns with the party's position towards the Israel/Palestine conflict prior to her announcement and accused her of "simply looking for an excuse to cover the fact that she rarely shows up for work." The National Post noted that Hassainia participated in only 8.7% of votes in the House of Commons for the first seven months of 2014, which meant that she had the lowest attendance record of any MP during this period. Another source claimed that the NDP "bent over backwards" to accommodate Hassainia's schedule, but that Nycole Turmel (the NDP party whip) became "frustrated in her efforts to get Hassainia to show up for votes and perform other parliamentary duties."[5]