PDA

View Full Version : SKS: I caved, Tula 1955 or 1956?

Petamocto
01-27-2015, 08:40 PM
Hello everyone,

I am caving. Despite ridiculing my friends for years about firing red guns, I decided to buy an SKS.

I'm getting one from Corwin Arms because I'm buying one of the Warrior backpacker shotguns there in the same order.

He says they have both the Tula 1955 with a star on the dust cover, and Tula 1956 with star on the receiver.

I did some quick Google-fu, but couldn't find any difference.

Can someone please tell me any reason that a 1955 or 1956 is better? He mas multiples of each.

Thank you

bp2626
01-27-2015, 10:18 PM
The last design changes were made by the Russians in 1954; there is no real difference between a 1955 and 1956 other than the markings. Some later rifles were manufactured with laminate stocks but because of refurbishment laminated stocks are found on all years.

Ask Martin to just pick you out the nicest one.

kennymo
01-27-2015, 10:30 PM
If you're gonna buy one, you may as well get three....

lone-wolf
01-28-2015, 12:23 AM
Sir, two firearms, I thought you were on a limit?

People would chose the 56 if they already have a 55, or vice versa.
Laminate or hardwood stock?

Gaidheal
01-28-2015, 08:28 AM
Hello everyone,

I am caving. Despite ridiculing my friends for years about firing red guns, I decided to buy an SKS.

I'm getting one from Corwin Arms because I'm buying one of the Warrior backpacker shotguns there in the same order.

He says they have both the Tula 1955 with a star on the dust cover, and Tula 1956 with star on the receiver.

I did some quick Google-fu, but couldn't find any difference.

Can someone please tell me any reason that a 1955 or 1956 is better? He mas multiples of each.

Thank you

:)

I did the same thing with 1911.

Petamocto
01-28-2015, 10:35 AM
Sir, two firearms, I thought you were on a limit

Very good attention to detail, and as things stood I was at 7.

I'm doing some re jigging of my collection, because I wanted to get a rascal for my kids but we already have a 22, and the MVP Varmint isn't really the kind of gun I'm going to use often without prairie dogs or ground hogs to hunt.

So the MVP is going, leaving me with 6. If I could hunt with the AR I'd be all set, but now I don't have anything to hunt with other than 12ga and 30.06.

I like the idea of having an SKS to beat up in a trunk gun way, and I'd likely have it in a case with the backpacker 20ga.

That would bring me to 8, still no Rascal, still no cowboy lever, still no small game hunting rifle other than the Remington 597 22LR. Sigh.

I think I may not even get a Rascal, and just suck it up and let my kids use the 597. I still need a precision bolt now that my MVP is gone. Looking at something smaller than a varmint, either still in 5.56 or maybe 17hmr.