PDA

View Full Version : 3 Gun rifle optic

Weekend Gunslingers
01-29-2015, 01:00 AM
hi there

We are planning on trying out 3 gun this year on top of IPSC and USPSA. What optic do you run on your 3 gun rifle? I am thinking no magnification but open to suggestions. I have to buy two of each (wife's and mine) so budget is a factor. Any suggestions welcome. :)

DOA
01-29-2015, 01:40 AM
Personal preference. Trial and error. I'm too slow with iron sights, basic red dot worked but got tough at 300m. Currently have a 3x BDC illuminated reticle, works fine out to 500m but we rarely shoot that far so I'm thinking of an Eotech. Asking around, most seem to try a bunch before finding what they like. The new Votex 1-6 looks like it'll be a good seller, I might try it out myself.

superbad
01-29-2015, 02:46 AM
All depends on the matches your going to attend. Non local matches can stretch out to 500 yards in the US. In canada 200 meter is the longest ive seen. Budget is important as a non expensive chinese made 1 to 4 optic will run you around the 300 range.

superbad
01-29-2015, 02:58 AM
The vortex 1to 6 is 1600 bucks, a trijicon tr 24 1 to 4 is 1200 ( what I run ) , I also have a backup ar with a leupold 1 to 4. Ive spent over 4 gran on my rifle, 1400 on pistol, and I need a semi auto shotgun cause the 870 just isnt cutting it, so ill be spending another 1600 to 2000 for a shotgun. 3 gun belt ap shotshells holders, plus , plus , plus , plus. Ill be around the 10 k plus area this year and its going to be my first year shooting 3 gun. O ya and travel expenses, hotels, gas, dog boarding, babysitters , ive been saving for 6 months to get it all together. And all the practice ammo, on top of that I got my flintch back from not practicing this winter to save money. Ill spend at least 1000 rounds to work it out and couple hundred a week to stay on top of it. Its really expensive if you want to be a competitor, for fun you can take whatever. Before applying for atf form 6 I need to get all the ammo, all the firearms on paper and sent to the atf cause you cant cross with anything you dont have on your form. So ifbyou buy a nice new rifle, or handgun you have to reapply and wait a few weeks.

superbad
01-29-2015, 03:11 AM
Personal preference. Trial and error. I'm too slow with iron sights, basic red dot worked but got tough at 300m. Currently have a 3x BDC illuminated reticle, works fine out to 500m but we rarely shoot that far so I'm thinking of an Eotech. Asking around, most seem to try a bunch before finding what they like. The new Votex 1-6 looks like it'll be a good seller, I might try it out myself.

At 300 meters a 3 moa red dot will cover the entire target unless its a triangle and you use the tip when you zero. I can only imagine aftervrunning around with heart pumping.

awndray
01-29-2015, 05:55 AM
Which Vortex 1-6 are talking about? I can't see the new Strike Eagle being $1600.

I haven't run my AR in 3gun yet, thought I plan to this summer. It's got irons now, but I'm thinking Eotech. I've thought of a low magnification Vortex but I don't see myself shooting over 200 in my area.

Kane63
01-29-2015, 08:55 AM
Never used one but I keep looking at the Holosun red dot (aimpoint clone), $200 bucks, 2MOA, and insane battery life ;D

harbl_the_cat
01-29-2015, 08:51 PM
We've only shot to 100 yards - but I've run a TRS25, Vortex Sparc, Vortex PST 1-4x24, Trijicon Accutpoint 1-4x24. I just can't make up my mind on what to settle on.

DOA
01-29-2015, 08:55 PM
Which Vortex 1-6 are talking about? I can't see the new Strike Eagle being $1600

I'd expect to see it $500-600

8irdman
01-29-2015, 09:37 PM
Which Vortex 1-6 are talking about? I can't see the new Strike Eagle being $1600.

I'd expect to see it $500-600

Vortex says this will be priced Less than the PST. (source: Shot Show announcement) So under U$500, of course by the spring our Can$ will still be in the tank so around C$500 (?) here in Canada.

Satain
01-29-2015, 09:52 PM
hi there

We are planning on trying out 3 gun this year on top of IPSC and USPSA. What optic do you run on your 3 gun rifle? I am thinking no magnification but open to suggestions. I have to buy two of each (wife's and mine) so budget is a factor. Any suggestions welcome. :)
Most 3 gun matches only go up to 300 meters but an even more majority only go up to 100 meters
So I would go for a red dot that allows you to pick up the targets faster. If you find that you are attending matches past 100 meters then look into a scope and piggy back the red dot to it. That way you can leave it maxed zoomed and still have that red dot for the fast up close work.

Strewth
01-29-2015, 10:26 PM
I side with those that are asking about distance and budget? I started with an Aimpoint PRO, and then added a 3x magnifier, on which I thought having it flip to the side would be important. For me, shooting from 10 to 200 yards, it isn't; I leave the magnifier on all the time. So now I'm leaning towards buying a 4x ACOG.
I also have a Bushnell 1-4 "AR" scope. It's no Trijicon, but it didn't cost like one either. For buying a pair of scopes to try out, I'd probably lean this way? First focal plane, illuminated, throw lever, not a bad little scope for the money.

Weekend Gunslingers
01-29-2015, 11:05 PM
Perhaps I should yank the Eotech XPS 2-0 I have off my XCR and run it on my M4 to try it out first. I can't afford to spend too much on the optic as I have to double up and buy two (one for me and one for the wife). So the best I can hope for to start off with would be a mid-range type one in the Vortex SPARC II price range maybe.

superbad
01-30-2015, 04:24 PM
We've only shot to 100 yards - but I've run a TRS25, Vortex Sparc, Vortex PST 1-4x24, Trijicon Accutpoint 1-4x24. I just can't make up my mind on what to settle on.

Yout kidding right? The accupoint is 1200 and owns the others on your list. Go with the accupoint. Slap an mgm switchview and never look back.

superbad
01-30-2015, 04:29 PM
Vortex razor 1-6 is $1699 , the 6 power is good but you have to have your breathing technique down because if you dont that scope will be going everywhere, one of the reasons i use a trijicon 1-4 accupoint. Trijicon has their new 1-6 but at 2 k it was out of my range this year. A good trigger was the first upgrade to my rifle.

kingdarb
01-30-2015, 04:58 PM
I have an aimpoint comp M4 at the moment. Can group about fist-sized at 100 with it from prone or a bench if I am shooting well. Standing is a bit bigger. Can shoot a figure 11 at 200 without issues and prolly further - just never tried. It's nice and fast and there are no issues with eye relief.

superbad
01-30-2015, 05:01 PM
At 100 I shoot a .5 to .75 moa sitting or prone, standing I hit 200m 10 inch gong all day. The.5 moa with vmax, the .75 with fmjbt. I couldnt do that before when I had a red dot or stock trigger.

superbad
01-30-2015, 05:07 PM
Perhaps I should yank the Eotech XPS 2-0 I have off my XCR and run it on my M4 to try it out first. I can't afford to spend too much on the optic as I have to double up and buy two (one for me and one for the wife). So the best I can hope for to start off with would be a mid-range type one in the Vortex SPARC II price range maybe.

3 gun is like peruvian flake crack, highly addictive, and expensive. Super fun, great people and did I say fun lol I found that too much crap in your field of view can be distracting, a plain , small, bright red dot is what you should look for if your going with a red dot.