PDA

View Full Version : JetBoil Sol Advanced Cooking System

Cavs42
05-23-2012, 02:51 PM
The JetBoil ACS is by far the best piece of gear I have purchased in the past few months. Designed to heat liquids reliably and quickly in winter or high altitude environments, this system is perfect for backpacking or military exercises/operations.

The Jetboil Sol is a self contained cooking system which will boil a litre of water in approx 2 minutes. The system is powered by a 100 g isobutane/propane fuel canister that will boil 100 litres of water, or burn for approx 60 minutes. The system will run on other branded fuel canisters, but JetBoil reccommends the use of their proprietary canisters (of course). They're $3 each at MEC, so i'm not too worried about that. They also come in 2 bigger sizes.

The inside of the Jetboil cup/pot is marked up to 500ml which is the highest the company suggests the cup be filled to prevent boil over. I have filled it substantially higher with no issues.

The Jetboil is perfectly suited for heating soups or boiling water for making hot drinks. As the pot heats very quickly to a high temperature, the heating of solid of thicker foods is more prone to burning.

The system is very light, weighing in at about 10.5 oz without the included pot support and the stabalizing legs.

Another big plus on this system is it's audible volume while in use. In comparison to another camp stove I've used extensively (specifically the MSR Dragonfly), this system is whisper quiet, while the Dragonfly sounds like a jet engine.

At $120.00, this system is well worth the ticket price, and I highly recommend it to anyone that will be spending time in the woods.

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq160/Evil-Inc42/IMAG0380.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq160/Evil-Inc42/IMAG0381.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq160/Evil-Inc42/IMAG0382.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq160/Evil-Inc42/IMAG0383.jpg

jonanddad
05-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Nice review, could you add a video o it in action next time you are out?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

jwirecom109
05-23-2012, 08:44 PM
That does like a very sweet unit.

Does it have addons for larger posts etc?

Cavs42
05-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Nice review, could you add a video o it in action next time you are out?

Will do.

That does like a very sweet unit.

Does it have addons for larger posts etc?

It does. There is a full system called the Sumo which includes the burner unit, etc, or you can just get the Sumo Companion Cup which includes the cup (1.8L) a lid and the bottom plastic cup for about $60. The SOL system can then be stored inside the Sumo.

JustBen
05-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Neat little system!

jwirecom109
05-24-2012, 08:29 AM
wow just took alook at their site there is alot of stuff and some 3L stuff they sell.

Cavs42
05-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I didn't mention the full-on pot system they have. No doubt it's great, judging by what I've seen so far, but it's a bit bulky for my tastes.

FlyingHigh
05-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Good review, thanks. I've been looking at getting a backpacking stove system. I was looking at the MSR Dragonfly, but this JetBoil system seems like it could be the ticket. Have you tried simmering with it?

Cavs42
05-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Good review, thanks. I've been looking at getting a backpacking stove system. I was looking at the MSR Dragonfly, but this JetBoil system seems like it could be the ticket. Have you tried simmering with it?

I haven't but the website has multiple recepies that require it. I'd say the flame would have to be on the lowest setting to control the heat/prevent burning.

The Dragonfly is great, but the fuel is bulkier and heavier, and refilling the bottles can be a pain in the rear.

zulu
05-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Very cool

FlyingHigh
05-25-2012, 06:10 PM
I haven't but the website has multiple recepies that require it. I'd say the flame would have to be on the lowest setting to control the heat/prevent burning.

The Dragonfly is great, but the fuel is bulkier and heavier, and refilling the bottles can be a pain in the rear.

right on. thanks for the info. :)

RobSmith
05-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Something about all the plastic parts make me uneasy when it comes to durability...

Cavs42
05-25-2012, 07:45 PM
I don't think it was designed to bear loads or drive nails. As long as you don't sit on it, it'll last. I know people that have been using the same one for years with no issues.

Strewth
05-25-2012, 10:29 PM
... As long as you don't sit on it, it'll last. I know people that have been using the same one for years with no issues.

I got mine in the states...6? years ago- always comes hunting, wife loves it for quik coffee when we're camping. I've got the pot...it's OK, but the pot is less stable on the little tripod thingy than locking in the cup, plus it was the portability of the cup system that caught my eye in the first place. Oh, and I've shoved the burner in the cup(and shaken it out)...lots? and it still hasn't scratched it.

Mine doesn't take two minutes to boil, more like one. The canisters last forever at this rate. To simmer is having it just cracked open-actually a little finicky, easier to let 'er rip.

Oh, the peizo-clicky start still works!!!

Cavs42
05-28-2012, 08:23 AM
I got mine in the states...6? years ago- always comes hunting, wife loves it for quik coffee when we're camping. I've got the pot...it's OK, but the pot is less stable on the little tripod thingy than locking in the cup, plus it was the portability of the cup system that caught my eye in the first place. Oh, and I've shoved the burner in the cup(and shaken it out)...lots? and it still hasn't scratched it.

Mine doesn't take two minutes to boil, more like one. The canisters last forever at this rate. To simmer is having it just cracked open-actually a little finicky, easier to let 'er rip.

Oh, the peizo-clicky start still works!!!

Thanks for the additional info. I know mine will get a crapload of use, and I don't forsee any issues.

50calshooter
05-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the info, very cool indeed.