PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 Inquiry

Call-sign_ENIGMA
02-01-2015, 01:47 PM
So I'm looking at getting a Remington 700 once I get my PAL. The question is what model should I get? I want to get it chambered in .338 Lapua, so what would be the better model a Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range Bolt Action or a Remington 700P MLR? Any insight on Remington 700's would be appreciated.

Jay
02-01-2015, 09:20 PM
You'll want a muzzle brake if you're looking at buying a .338 lapua, that should help with your buying decision.

Call-sign_ENIGMA
02-01-2015, 11:32 PM
XCR model it is then.

stevesummit
02-02-2015, 07:42 AM
Not trying to change your mind on a purchase but the 338 isnt a cartridge that you want to start out shooting . From first hand knowledge it is pricey to shoot and reloading is a must with this round . Now as you stated that your waiting on your PAL I will assume your newish to the sport .

jwirecom109
02-02-2015, 07:49 AM
Not trying to change your mind on a purchase but the 338 isnt a cartridge that you want to start out shooting . From first hand knowledge it is pricey to shoot and reloading is a must with this round . Now as you stated that your waiting on your PAL I will assume your newish to the sport .

I agree with Steve, Buy something affordable to start and work your way into it. A Savage Model 10 would be a good start in a 308. You can reach out easily past 1000 yards with it, with some practice.

I've looked into a 338 (even steve tired to sell me his once) and its a high cost, alot higher then a 308.

Remember the more you save the more you shoot.

Call-sign_ENIGMA
02-02-2015, 02:07 PM
I agree with Steve, Buy something affordable to start and work your way into it. A Savage Model 10 would be a good start in a 308. You can reach out easily past 1000 yards with it, with some practice.

I've looked into a 338 (even steve tired to sell me his once) and its a high cost, alot higher then a 308.

Remember the more you save the more you shoot.

Any suggestions where I should get one? Couldn't find much on Cabela's. Maybe a GOC partner sells any good ones?

jwirecom109
02-02-2015, 02:27 PM
Any suggestions where I should get one? Couldn't find much on Cabela's. Maybe a GOC partner sells any good ones?

Yep check the sponsors to start.

Also check the discounts section some of the sponsors give discounts

Jay
02-02-2015, 02:29 PM
If you're looking for a first rifle to learn and build a foundation of sporting, may I recommend a Ruger 10/22? Research and improve the factory model with aftermarket bull barrel and trigger group, and a solid stock that fits you. My first was a Savage 30-06 many years ago, but i learned more from the 22. The 308 is a viable option. Expert marksmen often use lighter rounds to simulate more difficult shooting conditions for a reason. Actually, my foundation started with thousands of .177 pellets.

VooDoo
02-02-2015, 11:28 PM
I buy mostly from Calgary Shooting Centre http://store.theshootingcentre.com/?p=store&p=current-inventory & my AI parts from Wolverine Supplies - http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/

BigRhino
02-02-2015, 11:47 PM
I have a 700 VTR in .308. I love this gun but kinda wish the barrel was a bit longer. I hear that people are in love with the 700 police or the SPS tactical. You can shoot a .308 all day long but still have nice recoil. I know for me that was important. I like to feel the power of a rifle but I dont want to blow out a shoulder either. Get out there and shoot first then see what you want. Jay has some really good points as far as the .22 is concerned. Form and function is virtually the same for all rifles so if you can get accurate with a .22, it should translate directly over to other calibers. Do your research and take your time. I rushed into the sport and ended up with a few rifles that just dont do it for me. I just had to buy something as soon as my card showed up. Either way, you're going to have fun. Let us know what you get!

Gunter
02-03-2015, 07:43 AM
Pretty hard to beat "time behind the trigger".
If you are on a budget, think about other expenses: Range membership, reloading supplies, glass, etc. etc.

Your final decision should put you "behind the trigger" for thousands of rounds per year, that will do more for you than a quality rifle that sits in the safe. As stated above by many, take your time and do the research, it will pay off in the long run.
And play safe while having fun !

Cheers
Gunter.

kennymo
02-03-2015, 08:10 AM
I have a 700 VTR in .308. I love this gun but kinda wish the barrel was a bit longer. I hear that people are in love with the 700 police or the SPS tactical. You can shoot a .308 all day long but still have nice recoil. I know for me that was important. I like to feel the power of a rifle but I dont want to blow out a shoulder either. Get out there and shoot first then see what you want. Jay has some really good points as far as the .22 is concerned. Form and function is virtually the same for all rifles so if you can get accurate with a .22, it should translate directly over to other calibers. Do your research and take your time. I rushed into the sport and ended up with a few rifles that just dont do it for me. I just had to buy something as soon as my card showed up. Either way, you're going to have fun. Let us know what you get!

I recently handled the SPS tactical model in store, the stock on that thing is head and shoulders above many other synthetics in the same price range. I'll throw one more vote into the .308 hat, pick up one with a heavy barrel and you'll be shooting the X ring out of targets all day long. You'll still be able to work your way up to the long shots without the kick and save a few bucks on ammo. Develop some fundamentals, and if your shoulder and bank account still want more at that point, trade up.