PDA

View Full Version : Rob Anders, Blocked From Wildrose Party Leadership Bid, Seeks Clarification

Billythreefeathers
02-01-2015, 05:36 PM
Rob Anders, Blocked From Wildrose Party Leadership Bid, Seeks Clarification

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/01/30/rob-anders-wildrose_n_6582874.html

Calgary MP Rob Anders says he still hopes to run for the leadership for the Wildrose Party despite being told he does not qualify because he will not have been a member for six months prior to the leadership vote set for June 6.

The six-term backbencher says he has sent a letter asking for clarification about the party's decision to bar him from running.

Anders told CBC Radios As It Happens on Thursday night that he tried a number of times in December to renew his party membership.

He says he has been a party member since 2009, however sometimes correspondence from the party refers to him as Rob and sometimes Robert.

But Anders says hes confident the matter can be sorted out.

And I may still meet the requirement regardless because, like I said, Ive had memberships and things sent to me both under Rob Anders and under Robert Anders, he said.

I think the grassroots, the common sense of the common people should prevail, and weve asked for the packets with regard to seeking a local nomination and also for the leadership race and well see where that proceeds.

After losing two federal Conservative nomination bids in the Calgary area, the six-term MP wants to run for the leadership of the provincial Wildrose Party.

Anders is known for his strong social conservative views and has gained attention for his sometimes inflammatory statements, including his opposition to granting honorary citizenship to Nelson Mandela, branding the South African leader a communist and a terrorist.

He says wants to run on a platform of a promise to cut taxes in the province.

Alberta needs to make sure that we maintain our Alberta advantage in low taxes, he said.

Foxer
02-01-2015, 05:39 PM
This guy is struggling like mad and just doesn't seem to get anywhere. I know he's gun friendly and all, but damn - if he didn't have bad luck he'd have no luck at all.

Billythreefeathers
02-01-2015, 05:42 PM
well Rob,, you need to take some time off and think about it,, think about how you lost your safe Calgary riding to a Redford liberal, think about losing the PC nomination race for Bow River, think about becoming a three time looser, quit while your ahead

killer kane
02-01-2015, 10:04 PM
well Rob,, you need to take some time off and think about it,, think about how you lost your safe Calgary riding to a Redford liberal, think about losing the PC nomination race for Bow River, think about becoming a three time looser, quit while your ahead

This, Hildebrand I think, was being courted, as much as Rob is one of us, the WR would be a footnote, if he was the leader.

Strangeday
02-01-2015, 10:48 PM
Robs a nice guy but short on friends lately.

ScottNT
02-01-2015, 11:21 PM
Id really like to see the WR get a bit more of a mainstream aura....dont think hes the guy.

Swampdonkey
02-02-2015, 01:53 AM
Id really like to see the WR get a bit more of a mainstream aura....dont think hes the guy.

Danielle wanted to go more mainstream too.

If that's what you want, the PCs are your party.

See you in debt, Alberta.

Carguy2550
02-02-2015, 01:54 AM
Hilldebrand for leader, Anders as an MLA. Perhaps finance minister?

killer kane
02-02-2015, 06:44 PM
I could live with that. The problem with Anders as leader, is he'd scare the sheep and as much as I'd like to see them scared, as I mentioned earlier, that'd be it for the party. And as I've also mentioned, the big tent and a few other things under benny, also didn't help get the W.R. a victory.

Foxer
02-02-2015, 06:55 PM
I could live with that. The problem with Anders as leader, is he'd scare the sheep and as much as I'd like to see them scared, as I mentioned earlier, that'd be it for the party. And as I've also mentioned, the big tent and a few other things under benny, also didn't help get the W.R. a victory.

I don't think the WR has to become more moderate in it's policy per se, I do however think they need to become more 'mainstream' in their message delivery and perception. Right now they DO kind of come across as sort of 'cowboy politicians', rather than the next responsible gov't. Looking more mainstream in their professionalism doesn't necessarily mean making their actual message more centrist.

Although they do need to polish off the rough edges - you can't have people making remarks which might be perceived as anti-gay or 'pro-white' these days. That turns pretty much everyone off and that really hurt them in the last election when 2 loose cannons made unfortunate remarks.

Carguy2550
02-02-2015, 09:57 PM
I have to agree with you Foxer. Unfortunately it will take a mass casualty incident or a sudden awakening of the sheep or twenty years re-engineering for the average sheep to realize that government is the problem, not the solution. Then the WR will look centrist instead of a bunch of crazies.

Foxer
02-02-2015, 10:10 PM
I have to agree with you Foxer. Unfortunately it will take a mass casualty incident or a sudden awakening of the sheep or twenty years re-engineering for the average sheep to realize that government is the problem, not the solution. Then the WR will look centrist instead of a bunch of crazies.

Quite possibly. Certainly Prentice is doing even better than I would have given him credit for on the political front - taking a pay cut was a powerful move even if it was symbolic (and likely accompanied by an unremarked 5 percent increase in expense funding). He's pushing all the right buttons and at this point will likely sail thru the next election pretty handily. I thought he might have a bit of a fight, but with the defection and defacto destruction of the WR for this election cycle at least, i think it's going to be pretty clear sailing for the PC for at least one more term unless something radical happens.

And the gov't IS the solution - the VOTERS are the problem :) I'm reminded of that quote from an American politician who said "Democracy is way too important to be left to the people". :)

Carguy2550
02-02-2015, 10:14 PM
And the gov't IS the solution - the VOTERS are the problem I'm reminded of that quote from an American politician who said "Democracy is way too important to be left to the people".

True. It is also said that while imperfect all other forms of government have been tried and failed. Also, people do not cause problems...politics and policies do.

Foxer
02-02-2015, 10:47 PM
It is also said that while imperfect all other forms of government have been tried and failed.
Ah yes - good old winnie churchill - "it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." :) That boy sure knew how to turn a phrase and speak the truth in the same breath.

Also, people do not cause problems...politics and policies do.

Well - politics and policies are a result of the people and directly proportional to their ability to accept bullcrap. If people really stood up and educated themselves and held their politicians to account we'd see a hell of a lot less of it. And 'account' is not simply voting in a different group of twits every 4 years, it's getting involved at the policy conventions and voting there, and at the nomination conventions and leadership conventions, etc.

Despite her hugely popular support, I voted for harper as leader instead of stronach because i understood who would be the better leader. I'm glad I showed up. I bet a lot of other people are glad they showed up too :)

Carguy2550
02-03-2015, 12:32 AM
I too enjoy Winston. Along with Ronnie Reagan and Margaret Thatcher. Got to admire a guy that could threaten the USSR with Star Wars and they imploded.

While not a member of the WR I am a CPC member. I have sent the EDA president a few emails only to receive no response. I thought about following up with CPC hq but didn't bother. I believe most political party leaders and execs do a lot of hearing but not a lot of listening. I suspect the WR wouldn't be much better.

Yeah I hear you. We need the right people to help make the policies. Canada, or it's provinces are run by those who show up.

Foxer
02-03-2015, 01:02 AM
I have sent the EDA president a few emails only to receive no response. I thought about following up with CPC hq but didn't bother.

Some are better than others. Mine was always great. It's worth poking a bit more and reminding them that it's important to keep up with the mail and the members. (unless, of course, you started your e-mail with 'dear butthead..." :) ) Might even want to offer to volunteer a bit if they're short handed, perhaps that's the problem.

Yeah I hear you. We need the right people to help make the policies. Canada, or it's provinces are run by those who show up.
Truer words have rarely been spoken.

Carguy2550
02-03-2015, 01:33 AM
I should maybe have mentioned my MP is the Rt. Hon. Stephen Harper. Not that it should matter but likely does. Also the EDA president is a fancy pants lawyer and would likely need $700/hr to read my emails.

I'm seriously debating being a little more involved with the WR. We lost our WR MLA in the provincial election somehow and now have some PC Tupperware saleswoman. The WR maybe a little more receptive at this point given their current situation. There does seem to be the risk of a spring election and Derek Hilldebrand would be a good choice for leader with Anders in cabinet - but I'm repeating myself.

Foxer
02-03-2015, 01:44 AM
I should maybe have mentioned my MP is the Rt. Hon. Stephen Harper. Not that it should matter but likely does. Also the EDA president is a fancy pants lawyer and would likely need $700/hr to read my emails.

I'm seriously debating being a little more involved with the WR. We lost our WR MLA in the provincial election somehow and now have some PC Tupperware saleswoman. The WR maybe a little more receptive at this point given their current situation. There does seem to be the risk of a spring election and Derek Hilldebrand would be a good choice for leader with Anders in cabinet - but I'm repeating myself.
Hey - just getting involved is a very positive step. You should give it a try.

killer kane
02-03-2015, 12:07 PM
I don't think the WR has to become more moderate in it's policy per se, I do however think they need to become more 'mainstream' in their message delivery and perception. Right now they DO kind of come across as sort of 'cowboy politicians', rather than the next responsible gov't. Looking more mainstream in their professionalism doesn't necessarily mean making their actual message more centrist.

Although they do need to polish off the rough edges - you can't have people making remarks which might be perceived as anti-gay or 'pro-white' these days. That turns pretty much everyone off and that really hurt them in the last election when 2 loose cannons made unfortunate remarks.

I agree 100%, but that's why you need a face to go with that message.

Foxer
02-03-2015, 12:46 PM
I agree 100%, but that's why you need a face to go with that message.

Yes, a leader with the strong ability to communicate not only their message but their professionalism is very important. And to keep the party candidates in line so that the message remains clear and so does the professionalism.