PDA

View Full Version : 45 Days to process a PAL

Redman
02-02-2015, 09:57 AM
The received my application Dec 12th and I understand with the holidays there may have been a back log of applications. Was just wondering if the 45 days were business day or included weekends. And when it would be a good idea just to call them up. Also I live in Quebec and I applied for a restricted license. I know people have waited a long time in the past and when I know all the details it helps me to be more patient. Thanks for your time.

TheHydrant
02-02-2015, 10:11 AM
I wouldn't worry, but it never hurts to call and ask for an update. I waited a long time too and it turned out they weren't able to reach one of my references. They won't call to tell you this, nor do they leave messages if they get voicemail. Call them and ask. If they say they can't reach your references ask them for their extension # and have your reference call them to do the interview. After I did that I had my license within 2 weeks

Edenchef
02-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Also for an RPAL, they will want to interview you, most of the time as well. Once they have contacted your references, give them about a week, then start calling, every week. JMHO. IIRC mine took about 60 days.

Cheers!

Redman
02-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Thanks guys. I will probably give it till next week and call if my references haven't been contacted. I find it strange they don't leave messages. I'm sure they have their reasons though.

Edenchef
02-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Thanks guys. I will probably give it till next week and call if my references haven't been contacted. I find it strange they don't leave messages. I'm sure they have their reasons though.

Roflmao! Gee, you might almost get the idea they are just looking for reasons to NOT issue you an RPAL.:pot:

But, I bet that they cashed your check really quickly though?

Cheers!

RangeBob
02-02-2015, 04:41 PM
I find it strange they don't leave messages.

Also, if there's any kind of problem, its up to you to contact them to find out why. They'll tell you immediately over the phone what the issue is though.

Redman
02-02-2015, 05:06 PM
Yeah they charged my credit card a while back now. I think I will call tomorrow if its up to me to find out if there are any mistakes.

Chili
02-02-2015, 07:23 PM
They received mine Dec 11th, I call weekly and keep getting we're not ready for your references, call back in a week. I've told them each time I call I am waiting to apply for a job the requires an Rpal and that I've now missed one posting while waiting but that is of zero interest to them.

BigRhino
02-03-2015, 12:00 AM
I called them after a month and the application was ready to be processed. She started the process right away and gave me a reference number and a 1-800 number. I wrote down the reference number and called my references and had them call the CFO. Application was completed 30 minutes later and a week and half after that I had my card. I have a R/PAL

Redman
02-03-2015, 10:19 AM
I called they said try back in a week.

GQBalla
02-03-2015, 11:11 AM
You can also check online

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/online_en-ligne/app_dem-eng.htm

va2ir
02-03-2015, 01:36 PM
Took me 4 months to get my RPAL. started the application in early november 2013 - got it MArch 2014. If it passed the RCMP and goes to the Quebec CFO, you can call them - be nice - the gal I deal with is very nice and she hurried my license thru. If you want to meet them in person, go to the Longueuil gun shows (one coming up in March) at Place Desaulniers - the SQ take a table there and they can check your status.

Redman
02-03-2015, 10:04 PM
Yeah thanks I have been checking online status hadn't changed for almost a month so wasn't sure if calling would help. It didn't. Yeah I live around the corner from place Desaulnier was thinking about going. I hope I'll have my license before then. My teacher in the course said the RCMP sends it to the SQ for verification before they themselves finalize the application in New Brunswick. Was he mistaken?

road kill
02-04-2015, 10:52 AM
I would also raise hell with your MP about the long wait time. You can get a passport in a week to ten days no problem. I raise this issue with my MP all the time, shouldn't take more than 2 weeks tops. Didn't get my paper work any quicker but it helps to yell at somebody. Got my renewal 1 day before mine expired and i had to point out to them that i am an instructor in the firearms program and had courses coming up. Bloody idiots. Rant over, calm down and let the blood pressure lower.

Edward Teach
02-04-2015, 01:43 PM
Wow. When my wife and I applied, it took us exactly 28 days from start to finish to get our RPALs.

GunsNotPuns
02-05-2015, 09:00 PM
They received my RPAL application on November 25, 2014 and it currently shows that it's currently in processing. Neither of my references have been contacted, nor have I.

I'm not an impatient person but the RCMP seems to rival Service Canada for slow processing times.

element
02-05-2015, 10:04 PM
after the 45 business days, pester the crap outta them. My PAL + RPAL took 9 1/2 months.

Redman
02-05-2015, 11:01 PM
after the 45 business days, pester the crap outta them. My PAL + RPAL took 9 1/2 months.

Lol Do you think any pestering may have been the cause of the "gestation" time for your RPAL

JustBen
02-06-2015, 08:43 AM
I sent my renewal in about the 15th of December and it came in the mail yesterday.

GunsNotPuns
02-06-2015, 03:09 PM
So inspired by this thread I called the Mounties and spoke to an exceedingly pleasant woman in Miramichi who told me they wanted to speak to one of my references and likely didn't need to talk with me.

I know others have less than satisfactory service but the lady I spoke to was very polite and gave me all the information at hand. Can't say I have any complaints.

Of course, I don't have an RPAL yet... ;D

Redman
02-06-2015, 04:31 PM
Of course, I don't have an RPAL yet... ;D[/QUOTE]

lol yeah, When I called they were very polite. Didn't have much info to share with me but that is just the system is. I will call again next week if the internet status hasn't changed since.

Edenchef
02-06-2015, 05:15 PM
They have always been very polite when I have had to talk to them on the phone. They just never actually give you reasons or expected dates for anything, ever. No reason to be rude about that.

Cheers!

8irdman
02-07-2015, 10:21 AM
It took mine 77 days back in '13. So I believe the average is around 90 days for a RPAL, some people wait longer some not so much. Patience Grasshopper, more time to shop for the 'precious':cool1:

GunsNotPuns
02-07-2015, 02:47 PM
Of course, I don't have an RPAL yet... ;D

lol yeah, When I called they were very polite. Didn't have much info to share with me but that is just the system is. I will call again next week if the internet status hasn't changed since.

Status changed as of today, I should receive it in two weeks!

Redman
02-07-2015, 04:07 PM
Congrats lol

Redman
02-13-2015, 02:42 PM
Called back today they said it was sent to the CFO for approval. So I guess I filled out my paperwork out properly. I wondering how long it will still take.

TheHydrant
02-13-2015, 03:48 PM
homestretch now

Kobs
02-20-2015, 03:52 PM
If you think you're trough waiting, i bought a new gun monday the 16th of february today's the 20th mail man came and no STATT yet so it'll be at least another 3 days before i can "MAYBE" go get my new gun. Talk about bureaucracy

Redman
02-23-2015, 07:30 AM
My first gun will be non restricted. They called me last week for an interview and both my references but they called them while they were at work >:( and not when they said they would be available on the application.They did leave messages but it was a hassel for my friends to get in touch with the SQ officer. One of them couldn't get through for a two days and now they are having a family emergency so I will have to wait longer as I do not want to be a jerk and bother him about calling back.

Kobs
02-23-2015, 08:48 AM
^^^ Yep, that's always a bother when you're not available right when they call. I guess it's one more ways that they found to limit the number of licenses. Give the applicants as much trouble as you can maybe they will back off.

RangeBob
02-23-2015, 09:11 AM
My first gun will be non restricted. They called me last week for an interview and both my references but they called them while they were at work >:( and not when they said they would be available on the application. They did leave messages but it was a hassel for my friends to get in touch with the SQ officer. One of them couldn't get through for a two days and now they are having a family emergency so I will have to wait longer as I do not want to be a jerk and bother him about calling back.

All we're asking of firearms owners, is to fill out two cards, and mail them in.
-- Allan Rock. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--bHM3HhrQU#t=133s

Edward Teach
02-23-2015, 05:37 PM
If you think you're trough waiting, i bought a new gun monday the 16th of february today's the 20th mail man came and no STATT yet so it'll be at least another 3 days before i can "MAYBE" go get my new gun. Talk about bureaucracy

Really? The CFO here in BC e-mailed me one when I was on the phone with them.

Kobs
02-23-2015, 05:56 PM
When i bought my 226 it took 2 weeks minus a day to get the STATT, looks like it'll be the same (since today makes a week already) for the other one.
The place i bought it from sent the papers trough fax, showed me the confirmation of the receipt and it was out of his hands.
He told me they send it trough mail when you receive it just come get it. It was the same with the other.
I would like to know of other QC residents if theirs were sent trough mail. So far i bought 2 guns from different places (Dante and CRAFM ) and the STATT's were handled the same way.

Redman
02-25-2015, 12:27 PM
Current Status: Your application has been processed and your licence has been issued. If you have not received your licence within 2 weeks please contact the Canadian Firearms Program Toll Free number. Awwwww Yaaaahhhh lol. According to the spell check in this forum they misspelled license.

TheHydrant
02-25-2015, 02:32 PM
congrats. you may want to take up nail biting while you wait for it to arrive, or better yet, start window shopping for you first purchase

Kobs
02-25-2015, 02:45 PM
Congrats Redman, it's a great feeling indeed, i share your joy, i got me my second handgun since september today Hell Yeah!

Redman
02-26-2015, 03:26 PM
Thanks Kobs what club did you join?

Kobs
02-26-2015, 03:34 PM
It's called Club de tir Lacadie, in St-Jean sur Richelieu, the cheapest i could find :tounge: $200 a year and it's close enough to where i am. Leaves me more money for ammo :evil1:

TheHydrant
02-26-2015, 03:47 PM
It's called Club de tir Lacadie, in St-Jean sur Richelieu, the cheapest i could find :tounge: $200 a year and it's close enough to where i am. Leaves me more money for ammo :evil1:

too far from where you are but my club is $80/yr. :-)
on a side note I visit family in Chateauhuay a few times a year. I may check out the gun club near there

Redman
02-26-2015, 04:23 PM
80 a year is ridiculous it's 400 plus in Montreal. If the ATT lets me transport it to there I would consider it lol.

Kobs
02-26-2015, 06:36 PM
80 a year is ridiculous it's 400 plus in Montreal. If the ATT lets me transport it to there I would consider it lol.

CRAFM is really good but too rich for my blood. I like the store there though lots of nice stuff and ammo :)

Redman
02-26-2015, 10:26 PM
We're getting off topic but is the one you go to closed in the winter? I work in construction so most of my free time will be then.

Kobs
02-27-2015, 07:02 AM
Nope, it's open 4 days a week i mostly go wednesdays or sundays. Link

http://www.pecheursetchasseursmontreal.com/

Redman
03-03-2015, 07:38 PM
Anyone going to the gun show on the 14th in Longueuil?