PDA

View Full Version : SKS, SVT-40, or Mosin.

Call-sign_ENIGMA
02-03-2015, 06:27 PM
Can't really decide which one to get first. Any feedback on that would be appreciated. I'm leaning towards the SKS because it shouldn't be that hard to find after market parts for it. Downside to that one is that I heard the ammo is pretty corrosive so I would need to clean it after every session.

kennymo
02-03-2015, 06:32 PM
Most of the bulk 7.62x54 ammo is corrosive military surplus as well, so you're in the same boat with the Mosin and SVT. The SKS is a little simpler to take apart and clean compare to the SVT in my opinion, with the Mosin Nagant bolt action being incredibly simple (no gas system to worry about). All pretty fun guns, I own several of each. Mosin is generally most accurate, SVT is loudest and the SKS is lightest kicking. Plenty of aftermarket for the SKS too, a bit for the 91/30 and almost nonexistent for the SVT, so if modifying is your game the SKS comes out on top there.

Billythreefeathers
02-03-2015, 06:34 PM
Mosin,,

I like the '43 or '44.

I refinished the stock to a silky smooth natural finish, 7 coats of boiled linseed oil.

Shoots like a laser

Ammo, well you'll find corrosive and non-corrosive, I re-load and pour my own bullets so the Mosin is cheap like boursh to shoot

kennymo
02-03-2015, 06:35 PM
Oh, you CAN buy non corrosive ammo for all three too. Just expect to pay a little more for it.

Call-sign_ENIGMA
02-03-2015, 06:42 PM
@kennymo do you know of any good gunsmiths or stores in town that do SKS work?

kennymo
02-03-2015, 06:46 PM
What do you mean by SKS work? Most of the aftermarket stuff is pretty simple to DIY, unless you're drilling and tapping. Canadian Tire up on Leila was selling already modified rifles in Tapco and Timbersmith stocks recently, if that's what you're looking for. Wholesale has one with rails installed as well, Xtreme might be in on this stuff too. Depends what you're looking for I guess?

Call-sign_ENIGMA
02-03-2015, 06:55 PM
What do you mean by SKS work? Most of the aftermarket stuff is pretty simple to DIY, unless you're drilling and tapping. Canadian Tire up on Leila was selling already modified rifles in Tapco and Timbersmith stocks recently, if that's what you're looking for. Wholesale has one with rails installed as well, Xtreme might be in on this stuff too. Depends what you're looking for I guess?

I watched some videos on some of the ATI stocks and people were commenting on it saying they had to modify some parts to get it to fit. But if the canadian tire is selling ones with it already done I might check it out.

kennymo
02-03-2015, 07:02 PM
I watched some videos on some of the ATI stocks and people were commenting on it saying they had to modify some parts to get it to fit. But if the canadian tire is selling ones with it already done I might check it out.

Yeah, I haven't popped through there for a while, but they had several when I was there last, and a pretty good selection of aftermarket goodies as well. Wholesale Sports has some new stock too, good quality rails and such. The 'modifying' I've come across with this stuff seems to be taking a file or a Dremel to this or that, mostly minor tweaks, though it's been awhile. Shout if you need help.

DILLIGAF
02-03-2015, 07:05 PM
I have the most fun with my M38

Strewth
02-03-2015, 07:17 PM
I have the most fun with my M38

I agree with this; fireballs and concussive noise make a statement unique to the short Mosin.

Has no one said "All of them" yet?
They're all undervalued for what you get. If you're leaning towards modifications then the SKS first. Keep the cleaning of the corrosive primers in mind when purchasing extra parts though, the stock rifle is very easy to tear down.

GunsNotPuns
02-03-2015, 07:39 PM
All of them ;D

I own all three and love them. I'd buy the SKS-45 first just because the ammo is as plentiful as water and its an easy rifle to maintain.

After that? My personal choice is the SVT-40 only because I find it to be a beautiful rifle. Not without its issues, but a wonderful rifle. If you opt for a M91/30 you wouldn't be going wrong either -- simple to maintain and easy to find at cheap prices.

Rory McCanuck
02-04-2015, 06:29 PM
SKS, SVT-40, or Mosin.
Yes ;D

They're all great, in their own way.
The fireballs from a short barrel M-44 are truly awe inspiring.
The recoil can get tiring quickly, though.

greywolf67nt
02-07-2015, 12:41 AM
I to own all of them and love them each for their own qualities.
I have 3 crates of ammo for the SVT and Mosin and 2 crates for the SKS.
I don't mind cleaning them after shooting. The SVT is a little bit of a pain in the arse to take apart but after the first few times its easy enough.
If you do buy an SVT though you have to watch what ammo you are using. I ran into FTE when running ammo that was to heavy. Anyone else have that problem?

livewire0129
02-07-2015, 02:16 AM
I to own all of them and love them each for their own qualities.
I have 3 crates of ammo for the SVT and Mosin and 2 crates for the SKS.
I don't mind cleaning them after shooting. The SVT is a little bit of a pain in the arse to take apart but after the first few times its easy enough.
If you do buy an SVT though you have to watch what ammo you are using. I ran into FTE when running ammo that was to heavy. Anyone else have that problem?

My svt doesnt like soft points.
Never had an issue with failure to extract.
Failure to eject (stovepipes) means your gas system is set too low. I use 1.3 or 1.5 depending on the ammo.
One more thing, mine doesnt like the surplus I have. I get a lot of light strikes. I think the primers are too deep on some of the cartridges, and there's no way to adjust firing pin protrusion on an svt like there is with the mosin. I dont have that issue with new production ammo.

livewire0129
02-07-2015, 02:57 AM
In response to the OPs original question, all 3 are great, but my suggestion for a first gun would be the sks. Fun to shoot, lower recoil, cheaper ammo, dead reliable. Make sure the bolt and firing pin are clean before firing (make sure the firing pin rattles freely when the bolt is shaken). Enjoy!

You will end up getting all 3, they are all great for their own reasons, and very affordable.

Gunexpert007
02-07-2015, 07:22 AM
Can't really decide which one to get first. Any feedback on that would be appreciated. I'm leaning towards the SKS because it shouldn't be that hard to find after market parts for it. Downside to that one is that I heard the ammo is pretty corrosive so I would need to clean it after every session.

It depends on what you will be using the rifle for ? If it is to be a fun gun plinker and home defense firearm , then the SKS . If it is going to used for big game hunting in the bush , the Mosin ; if buying for future collector status , then the SVT.....

Spotagwan
02-07-2015, 11:33 AM
In response to the OPs original question, all 3 are great, but my suggestion for a first gun would be the sks. Fun to shoot, lower recoil, cheaper ammo, dead reliable. Make sure the bolt and firing pin are clean before firing (make sure the firing pin rattles freely when the bolt is shaken). Enjoy!

You will end up getting all 3, they are all great for their own reasons, and very affordable.

It's true you will end up with all three. When thinking of the next one its like, well i have one in 54R so another would share ammo and keep cost down etc. It happend to me hahaha I got bit by the bug, SKS, ATi stock, all done up and refinished, then the mosin, done up a little too, then came the SVT for christmas, beautiful in its stock condition. SVT = most fun to shoot, mosin = fun, but more pain to the shoulder even after 20 rounds and im a 200+ pound guy. SKS = my wife likes it !!!!!!!!! ahahaha she was brave and put a round through the bigger ones but likes my SKS best which makes me a happy lucky man :-)

Spotagwan
02-07-2015, 11:37 AM
cleaning is no biggie, do not be scared by the word " Corrosive " all it takes is to break it down when you get home, dump all the parts in a tin turkey pan, boil some water, get it down the barrel, through the gas tube, over all your parts, wipe them all down and dry them. ( I use q-tips too ) to nook and cranny all the black schmutz out, oil lightly and reassemble. Once you get your system down, it takes me like 30 Mins or so to clean the SKS, give or take how quickly i go. I have had it out 5 times now and i have no rust, she's all good and i didnt spend a fortune in cleaning products. Happy shooting brother

Call-sign_ENIGMA
02-10-2015, 02:10 PM
cleaning is no biggie, do not be scared by the word " Corrosive " all it takes is to break it down when you get home, dump all the parts in a tin turkey pan, boil some water, get it down the barrel, through the gas tube, over all your parts, wipe them all down and dry them. ( I use q-tips too ) to nook and cranny all the black schmutz out, oil lightly and reassemble. Once you get your system down, it takes me like 30 Mins or so to clean the SKS, give or take how quickly i go. I have had it out 5 times now and i have no rust, she's all good and i didnt spend a fortune in cleaning products. Happy shooting brother

I heard I can also piss down the barrel as well hahahaha.

Call-sign_ENIGMA
02-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Pretty sure the SKS is the first rifle I'll get. Anybody know where to get any with aftermarket parts on it? (ATI Stock, muzzle brakes and the such?)

DethMyst
03-05-2015, 07:40 PM

For the first one, I'd go SKS. Great rifle, and lots of cheap milsurp ammo available. Hold out until you can find a nice Tula with hardwood stock if you can.

I've got a 1943 Tula SKS, and a Mosin. Probably going to pass on the SVT-40 for now as I'm on the lookout for a Lee Enfield No.4 Mk1 Longbranch :)

kennymo
03-05-2015, 11:44 PM
Pretty sure the SKS is the first rifle I'll get. Anybody know where to get any with aftermarket parts on it? (ATI Stock, muzzle brakes and the such?)

Did you ever end up checking out CT on Leila? I still haven't made it over there. Wholesale Sports still had some with the aftermarket rails mounted recently.

livewire0129
03-05-2015, 11:59 PM
For the first one, I'd go SKS. Great rifle, and lots of cheap milsurp ammo available. Hold out until you can find a nice Tula with hardwood stock if you can.

I've got a 1943 Tula SKS, and a Mosin. Probably going to pass on the SVT-40 for now as I'm on the lookout for a Lee Enfield No.4 Mk1 Longbranch :)

1943 SKS? Do you mean 1953?

costech
07-26-2016, 01:09 PM
I would go with the sks, unless you plan on hunting big game then i would go with the mosin because of the great price

M39
08-08-2016, 06:33 PM
Buy the sks then start buying all the mosin variants:
91/30
M44
M38
M24
M27
M39
M59
And so on.....

And grab a Svt-40

Mark-II
08-08-2016, 08:04 PM
I know a dealer with an m24, but he wants north of a grand for it and I could throw him further than I trust him...

got one myself save some waldo varnished the stock.

I still paired it up with an M91 style bayonet.

There's something almost medieval about an M91 style Mosin with a bayonet.

marvindmartian
08-28-2016, 02:05 AM
Are there svt40 kicking around ? Been looking for a while and they seem pretty hard to find.

Justice
08-28-2016, 03:19 PM
OP is 18 months old. And yes, SVT's are sort of hard to come by. However, Lever Arms(Vancouver, BC) is listing non-sniper variants at $375. $400 for a hand selected rifle.

RevDrMarty
09-03-2016, 10:36 AM

I know the OP is more than a year old, but this statement requires addressing. Specifically, by Ivan.
Click to read. NSFW due to strong language.

http://t.imgbox.com/PQHJjpjJ.jpg (http://imgbox.com/PQHJjpjJ)

:evil1: