PDA

View Full Version : Brother's shotgun question

Drache
02-08-2015, 07:25 PM
My brother bought a Maverick 88. It was cheap.

Anyways he was running #6 shot and it was grouping nicely and centered where he was aiming. Yet for some reason the 00 buck would center 4" high and 4" to the right at the same distance. Why would that be?

Foxer
02-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Well - first off, buck will tend to pattern differently out of any shotgun because as a rule it's coming out faster. Most 'target' loads are at around 1200 fps while many buckshot loads are a little faster. (depends on the ammo of course)

Second - different loads pattern differently out of different guns, much like a rifle. Everyone thinks all shotguns spit out shot in a straight line and perform the same with all ammo, and that's just not true. He could try a different buck load and find it's dead bang on. Federal buck is good for me out of my weatherby, but other rounds won't.

I was taking a new hunter out this year and they had used federal in the past, but could only get another brand for the trip. She wasn't hitting the way she should, we tried federal that I had and hers at lunch and it was night and day performance, with one clumping and not spreading properly at all and the other giving nice pattern. And I know that other brand works fine in other people's guns.

Sometimes you just have to try till you find what you like - or adjust accordingly :)

Foxer
02-08-2015, 07:47 PM
BTW - yeah, mav's are cheap, but i've shot many examples and they work just as well as most shotguns in my experience. I assume he had the short tube with no choke?

livewire0129
02-08-2015, 07:49 PM
Is your brother right handed? If he is, it's because of the recoil. Have him work on his stance.

Drache
02-08-2015, 08:09 PM
Is your brother right handed? If he is, it's because of the recoil. Have him work on his stance.

Nothing to do with his stance.

Satain
02-08-2015, 10:24 PM
Different powder loads causing him not only to flinch but also different poi

Drache
02-09-2015, 07:17 AM
Different powder loads causing him not only to flinch but also different poi

Flinch no. Different powder causing a different POI makes more sense.