PDA

View Full Version : Colt Canada's Next Generation Bullpup Smartrifle Prototype

TV-PressPass
02-10-2015, 03:42 PM
Highlights:

This rifle is part of the Canadian Future Small Arms Research (FSAR) project.

Developed with the Canadian Forces through the Soldier Integrated Precision Effects Systems (SIPES) project.

A bullpup design that features the ability to install either a three round 40 mm grenade launcher, or a 12-gauge shotgun.

The next phase will feature a TrackingPoint style system to automatically detect targets and assist in engaging them.

There’s some obvious similarities between this system and the US’s early OICW program. Although the article describes this prototype as being lighter than a conventional C7 & M203 combo.

http://youtu.be/6uKDqFsmeIU

Fulltext:

More firepower, improved accuracy and smart integrated accessories that connect to command and control networks are the headline features of the new integrated assault rifle concept that Defence Research and Development Canada (DRDC) and Colt Canada have developed for the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF).

The prototype, in development since 2009 through the Soldier Integrated Precision Effects Systems (SIPES) project, includes a firing mechanism to shoot lightweight cased telescoped ammunition, a secondary effects module for increased firepower and a NATO standard power and data rail to integrate accessories like electro-optical sights and position sensors.

In order to support the multi-role nature of the weapon, the prototype’s secondary effects module features the ability to install either a three round 40 mm grenade launcher, or a 12-gauge shotgun. When optimized, the integrated weapon prototype could weigh less than a C7 equipped with a M203 grenade launcher, reducing the burden on soldiers.

“This weapon concept represents a lethal, flexible general-purpose platform.”

—Lieutenant-Colonel Serge Lapointe, Canadian Army

“In the medium term, this weapon concept represents a lethal, flexible general-purpose platform,” said Lieutenant-Colonel Serge Lapointe, from the Soldier Systems group in Director Land Requirements – Soldier Systems (DLR 5) of the Canadian Army. “It will be able to operate in all theatres of operations in the most complex terrain including urban areas, mountains, jungles, deserts and the Arctic.”

The development of the weapon prototype posed a considerable challenge. DRDC scientists analyzed advanced material technologies that could replace the metal used in heavy components. The lightweight case telescoped ammunition was tested extensively with the support of the Munitions Experimental Test Centre in Valcartier, Quebec to assess its long-term aging behaviour.

Scientists also studied how to increase the rifle’s accuracy using technology that can automatically detect targets and assist with engaging them. Questions related to the sensors needed to accurately geo-locate targets for target data sharing were also investigated.

How the soldier interacts with the weapon was also the subject of numerous human factor trials. Ergonomic and weapon prototype handling tests were performed by Human Systems Inc., under the supervision of DRDC scientists, with CAF soldiers from military bases in Petawawa and Edmonton. The testing was crucial to developing optimal design criteria to meet the CAF’s needs for the Small Arms Modernization project.

“DRDC expertise provides the CAF with solid scientific data so they can make more informed decisions for their major acquisition projects.”

—Dr. Guy Vézina, Director General S&T Army, DRDC

In addition, lessons learned by both DRDC personnel and the CAF during their deployment in Afghanistan revealed critical elements that informed the prototype weapon development process with respect to its design and functionality.

“The results of the first phase of the project have shown that DRDC expertise can be used to provide the Canadian Armed Forces with solid scientific data so they can make more informed decisions for their major acquisition projects,” said Dr. Guy Vézina, the Director General for S&T Army, DRDC.

The new weapon prototype is a promising development for the soldier of the future. The integration of electronic components will allow soldiers to generate or receive data from the command and control network. In the next phase of development, automated target detection and assisted target engagement will be the subject of an in-depth study in the Future Small Arms Research (FSAR) project.

Finally, the development of the integrated weapon prototype and the continuing analysis of promising technologies should facilitate the acquisition of the next generation of small arms by the CAF. The data collected and the analyses documented so far by DRDC scientists will be used in conjunction with the data and analyses that will be generated in the FSAR project to develop the technical criteria that will form part of the statement of operational requirement documentation for the CAF Small Arms Modernization project.

knuckledragger
02-10-2015, 03:53 PM
Anyone else think it looks like this thing from 5th element?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3244/2447418497_91e45e40c9.jpg

bettercallsaul
02-10-2015, 04:29 PM
Look at the SIZE of that thing!

Edenchef
02-10-2015, 04:41 PM
I like the Tavor style trigger guard, but man it looks heavy.

Cheers!

Frank@NorthTrail
02-10-2015, 04:42 PM
Look at the SIZE of that thing!

That's what she said. (Sorry, you teed that one right up)

But seriously, that does look a little over the top. Shooting from prone could prove challenging lol

harbl_the_cat
02-10-2015, 06:03 PM
At first was reminded of Zapp Brannigan:

"What the hell is that thing?"

Then I was like - Only the government could build something this ugly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSrV4JXSE5M

Seriously though - why doesn't Elcan sell more C79's on the commercial market - that's the only thing on that rifle that doesn't look... ridiculous.

I like the idea of a "smart gun" (Aliens Colonial marine reference), but how are you supposed to shoot that monstrosity from the prone position or from behind cover?

One critique I read about the T97 (QBZ-97) from PLA soldiers was the height over bore was ridiculous, having the operator requiring to expose himself significantly when prone or behind cover. The sight on this thing is like half a foot high.

CF_Smith
02-10-2015, 06:07 PM
Okay, I think a bullpen is long overdue, but man oh man, am I the only one foreseeing the issue with having the optic 6 inches above the bore? Not only that but it changes height depending on the configuration... Oh my...

Petamocto
02-10-2015, 06:23 PM
I hope I release before that thing starts getting used.

Then I'll be an old timer on a farm with my AR, telling stories to young whippersnappers like an old man now with a Lee Enfield or M1.

Okay, I think a bullpen is long overdue...

I think you mean bullpup. Bullpen = where baseball players hang out.

kennymo
02-10-2015, 06:33 PM
Also used to describe a pen with bulls in it....just sayin...

Petamocto
02-10-2015, 06:39 PM
http://www.greatchicagogifts.com/filebin/images/products/full/sportspen_bulls.jpg

Billythreefeathers
02-10-2015, 06:50 PM
if it only had a bottle opener,,,

Strewth
02-10-2015, 08:41 PM
if it only had a bottle opener,,,

I think for a small consulting fee...say 4 or 5 million, that could be arranged. On the fourth generation rifle.

chrisc
02-10-2015, 10:03 PM
Wow it better shoot nice Cuz its sure ugly

blacksmithden
02-10-2015, 10:54 PM
I think the latest generation of Colt engineers played too many video games before they got their rings.

zulu
02-10-2015, 11:23 PM
I hate it. This looks as bad as the helmet with cheek pieces that was being made. It ran out of funding thank god. Back to the rifle the ammo looks interesting, it's called telescopic ammo and bullet is inside the casing and surounded by powder. The specs say the ammo weighs 40% less and you can hold more rounds per magazine some how.

Foxer
02-11-2015, 12:01 AM
That right there is the duck-billed platypus of the firearms world.

TV-PressPass
02-11-2015, 12:12 AM
I hate it. This looks as bad as the helmet with cheek pieces that was being made. It ran out of funding thank god. Back to the rifle the ammo looks interesting, it's called telescopic ammo and bullet is inside the casing and surounded by powder. The specs say the ammo weighs 40% less and you can hold more rounds per magazine some how.

Yeah I missed the telescoping ammo part in the article. I guess thats a US "future crazy soldier" project that's also going nowhere fast...

superbad
02-11-2015, 02:41 AM
Canada should let the Americans do the research, they will save alot of money doing so.

Strangeday
02-11-2015, 09:59 AM
Hollywood mock up garbage

GunsNotPuns
02-11-2015, 12:30 PM
It's...very...lovely.

Okay, I suppose aesthetics isn't the criteria one should be using for a weapon designed for warfare but I'm very happy I served in the days of the FN C1 and C7.

Timmay
02-11-2015, 03:18 PM
Looks interesting, I would love to try the 40mm launched from on top of a platform instead of the bottom.

Jay
02-11-2015, 05:55 PM

Booletsnotreactwell
02-11-2015, 10:11 PM
So are you going to post a "review" for it? You know bunch of fancy pictures of the rifle next to a bunch of cool knives, shells casings and dirt. Can't forget the video part of the review. Empty two or three magazines "yep shoots good, feels less "snappy" and this button does this"..."it's a good purchase I would recommend buying it", kindly inserts link to retailers...

Mark-II
02-11-2015, 10:15 PM
Your gun is bad and you should feel bad.

TV-PressPass
02-12-2015, 10:25 AM
So are you going to post a "review" for it? You know bunch of fancy pictures of the rifle next to a bunch of cool knives, shells casings and dirt. Can't forget the video part of the review. Empty two or three magazines "yep shoots good, feels less "snappy" and this button does this"..."it's a good purchase I would recommend buying it", kindly inserts link to retailers...

Do I do that?

Jay
02-12-2015, 11:10 AM

kennymo
02-12-2015, 11:52 AM
I think one has to purchase it first to properly review it. I wouldn't trust a reviewer who didn't actually handle one in some fashion. Thanks, TVPP, for showing us whats coming down the pipe.

I have to wonder why they'd put the thumper on top of the action instead of under it. Having it so far from the axis, I would imagine the radial force may be excessive. Obv there isn't enough room under it in a bullpup... But I see an option where it could be inline with a dual-barrel 5.56. In effect, three barrels with the thumper in the middle.

Something like this Gilboa, except as a bullpup. A removeable launcher would make it more configurable.. but then we're back to existing modularity.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rDPaxfrDWsc/T9V-UrR8vgI/AAAAAAAADW8/Oksp0YzSdTs/s640/Gilboa+Snake.jpg

Wouldn't there be some ejection problems if that was bullpupped? Lefty's would stop complaining about the righty's having all the bullpup luck though...

Jay
02-12-2015, 12:02 PM

TV-PressPass
02-12-2015, 12:32 PM
Wouldn't there be some ejection problems if that was bullpupped? Lefty's would stop complaining about the righty's having all the bullpup luck though...

Or they could do it Kel-tech style with the downward ejection:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/RDB-animate-2.gif

kennymo
02-12-2015, 12:46 PM
There's some forward eject out there too, now that I think about it....what the #### was that gun again?

Jay
02-12-2015, 01:18 PM

Booletsnotreactwell
02-12-2015, 04:54 PM
Do I do that?

I'm going to be as straight up as possible and hopefully nobody is going to take it to heart, hit report buttons and get their panties in a bunch. I'm sure if this were on the other site that's exactly what would happen.

Based on the posts on the other site many look at you as a "reviewer" and you do posts "reviews". I am of the opinion that some of the videos are more like promotional trailers then actual reviews.

I'm gonna use something like Nutnfancy as an staple here. The guy posts reviews of guns. He takes a gun and will literally rip it apart and talk about everything. Does this new firearm actually do something lower priced options don't? Does the mechanism of action in the firearm mechanically lend itself to high accuracy or higher reliability? These are all questions a manufacture or somebody who had a stake in the product would never want to bring up. He will dive into history, talk about things like the axis of the reciprocating parts and how they impart forces on critical components, etc... The guy also busts on the firearm sometimes into the 10,000 round range before he "reviews" it. There are a crapload of videos where he downright laughs and calls certain guns pieces of crap even when they were lent to him by a manufacture with a sponsored shooter working for the manufactures with him on set.

The result is a viewer who knew nothing about the said firearm has left with a wealth of knowledge and can now make an informed decision on if the said firearm fill his roles, if it's worth the cost and how it stacks up against other firearms.

This so called "review" talks about very little. It's basically something a manufacture would put out. Here is the gun, here is how much it costs and it does this. Bang bang bang. Look at this guy in a cool operator uniform shooting all while the camera pans out to a roughed mountainous landscape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7NEK_29KiE

Before anybody mentions it, I don't have the money nor the time to do reviews so who am I to talk right? We'll you're right except I do watch a lot of reviews and if you want your reviews to mean anything then you have to do them right.

That's it, that's me and hopefully that doesn't get me banned.

Petamocto
02-12-2015, 05:02 PM
That's it, that's me and hopefully that doesn't get me banned.

I am actually fully supportive of you being able to give a critical opinion of something or someone else, because you weren't rude or mean about it.

I like that about this forum, and I'd rather someone post a well-thought-out argument stating why they don't like something, where as on GCN the group of rabid gorillas would pile on.

The only reason I support you getting an infraction is that you don't know the difference between "then" and "than", but until I get my own forum my opinion isn't worth much ;)

Jay
02-12-2015, 05:22 PM

Booletsnotreactwell
02-12-2015, 05:28 PM
I am actually fully supportive of you being able to give a critical opinion of something or someone else, because you weren't rude or mean about it.

I like that about this forum, and I'd rather someone post a well-thought-out argument stating why they don't like something, where as on GCN the group of rabid gorillas would pile on.

The only reason I support you getting an infraction is that you don't know the difference between "then" and "than", but until I get my own forum my opinion isn't worth much ;)

English isn't my first language. French is. Holly crap I said it, that alone would bring on piles of Gorillas on the other site.

Foxer
02-12-2015, 06:30 PM
English isn't my first language. French is.

Really? wow - you hardly type with any accent at all :tounge: :)

Drache
02-12-2015, 07:18 PM
Take off the top 40mm/Shotgun and it looks like "Tavor"

harbl_the_cat
02-13-2015, 11:45 AM
If it's "not man fireable" does that mean a woman can fire it?

I kid...

Jay
02-13-2015, 11:51 AM

TV-PressPass
02-13-2015, 12:09 PM
I'm going to be as straight up as possible and hopefully nobody is going to take it to heart, hit report buttons and get their panties in a bunch. I'm sure if this were on the other site that's exactly what would happen.

I can see where you're coming from there, but I also think there's some things your missing.

Rather than de-rail this post further, I'll have something proper in this space shortly: http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/Impartiality-in-Firearms-Media-A-long-winded-but-hopefully-fun-discussion (http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?20553-Impartiality-in-Firearms-Media-A-long-winded-but-hopefully-fun-discussion)

CF_Smith
02-13-2015, 09:21 PM
Yes bullpup. My Mac thinks it is smarter than me when it comes to spelling sometimes.

Call-sign_ENIGMA
02-16-2015, 12:28 AM
http://www.greatchicagogifts.com/filebin/images/products/full/sportspen_bulls.jpg

Dying over here. Hahahaha you're such a smart ass.

Canada_Phil
02-16-2015, 09:08 AM
I think Chewbacca would even be too embarrassed to wield that thing.

And nutt'n phases old Chewie!!

;P

Benito
02-20-2015, 01:25 AM
CF? Check.
Canadian solution in search of a problem? Check.
Better AND cheaper commercial off-the-shelf options already available? Check.
This installment of pouring money down the drain was brought to you by the Canadian Forces.

Drache
03-01-2015, 10:55 PM
https://chivethebrigade.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/canada-smartgun-600-5.jpg?w=600&h=450

https://chivethebrigade.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/canada-smartgun-600-4.jpg?w=600&h=450

CF members testing a mockup for handling

blacksmithden
03-01-2015, 11:40 PM
I still think it's a joke of a system...especially with that grenade kicker keeping the optic so high. At what range do you zero that in at ? You might as well just say f-it...line if up straight, and aim 6" high to get yourself a decent impact point at different ranges.

Foxer
03-01-2015, 11:47 PM
I still think it's a joke of a system...especially with that grenade kicker keeping the optic so high. At what range do you zero that in at ? You might as well just say f-it...line if up straight, and aim 6" high to get yourself a decent impact point at different ranges.

Yeap. It's the kind of design that makes me think the strategy here is to lull the enemy into a false sense of security. Or possibly a very real sense of security :)

Drache
03-02-2015, 08:21 AM

It's a "smart rifle" so the new age optics would auto correct for adding the attachments on top.

I'm not a fan of the looks with the grenade launcher but without it, like I said, it looks like a futuristic Tavor.

Jay
03-02-2015, 08:57 AM

Drache
03-02-2015, 09:08 AM
If it's smart, it had better let me murder animals from a mile away like the antis swear it can.

You want the Tracking Point Sniper Rifle system. It does everything except pull the trigger :D

Jay
03-02-2015, 10:37 AM

RAFMedic
03-02-2015, 12:20 PM
The squaddies on ARRSE are discussing this as well. Then again, they'd probably approve anything that wasn't an L85/SA80.

Satain
03-02-2015, 04:02 PM
Ball got dropped on this design...

harbl_the_cat
03-02-2015, 04:18 PM
Maybe Colt Canada should come up with the M56 Smartgun from Aliens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsuSpei9cf8

Jay
03-02-2015, 04:40 PM

Drache
03-02-2015, 04:58 PM
http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/f/f9/ST-NewGunA.jpg/500px-ST-NewGunA.jpg

No no, the Morita Mk1 is nicer :p

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/6405/028jd.jpg

Jay
03-03-2015, 09:35 AM

Satain
03-03-2015, 04:08 PM
That's a good way to conceal a pump shotgun... Anyone else spot it?
Yep an M14 bullpup stock with a under carry pump 12gauge

Jay
03-03-2015, 04:18 PM

Drache
03-03-2015, 04:36 PM
Yep an M14 bullpup stock with a under carry pump 12gauge

The gun (firing versions) were actually Ruger AC556 rifles.

Mobusten
03-09-2015, 05:14 PM
My eyes!!!

Jamezer89
01-27-2016, 06:10 AM
well played