PDA

View Full Version : SKS question

Dmay
02-11-2015, 03:04 PM
Don't have much experience with these rifles.
Will a gas-leak at the front of the gas cylinder cause short-stroking? How much of a leak would it have to be?
I can see this one leaks a little, but unsure how to determine how much and if is the cause of the issue.

lone-wolf
02-11-2015, 03:17 PM
Where is it leaking? The gas tube has vent holes.

kennymo
02-11-2015, 03:31 PM
Unless there is a really, really poor fit (like a big gap) between the tube and the gas block I can't see it being an issue. Ever clean out the little hole through the gas block into the barrel?

Gaidheal
02-11-2015, 08:07 PM
I made the mistake of buying an ncstar replacement gas tube with rails.

Fits so loosely it makes teh SKS a really stupid single shot at best and a frustrating ammo jammer otherwise

Dmay
02-12-2015, 07:15 AM
I have cleaned the gas block and it's hole into the barrel. The gas tube doesn't fit super tight onto the block, but not a big gap or anything either.
I've read that having the recoil spring in backwards can cause problems, but it's right...
Have also heard that some ammo is underpowered, perhaps I'll try that next....

kennymo
02-12-2015, 07:37 AM
It's the original tube? I also recall bad things being said about the NC Star replacement tubes (and most things NC Star....).

Dmay
02-12-2015, 10:14 AM
Yes, this is the original tube. I notice that the piston doesn't go very deep into the tube, but have measured, and it extends out of the back end more than the piston extension does, so this should not be causing a problem.....

rgallant
02-12-2015, 11:56 AM
What ammo are you using, I use the cheapest surplus I can find with out issue. The can's I shoot at don't much care.

But to the ammo it would have to be really really bad not to cycle correctly.

Is this a new issue or new SKS to you ?

Either way I would strip it right down and check for "smooth" movement overall of the bolt and carrier.

Check your recoil spring and the back of the bolt where it fits for binding as well.

Check the spring loaded piston and make sure it is nice and clean and moving freely without the spring.

You could also try loading a single round, then dropping the mag so it is clear, the fire a shot to see if the action cycles correctly.

You may have tried all or some of these but it is somewhere to start.

kennymo
02-12-2015, 12:04 PM
So what's happening exactly? When you say short stroking, is it ejecting the spent shell? Does it travel far enough rearward to recock the hammer and isn't picking up a cartridge out of the magazine? We had one doing some odd stuff that wound up being an improperly pinned follower (the infamous pin riveted to the follower batch)

Dmay
02-12-2015, 01:23 PM
It's not my rifle, just helping a fellow who's having problems with it. Chinese model, that's all I know....has a detachable mag.
It fires and extracts well, but the spent brass doesn't eject and ends up trapped between bolt and chamber, sometime still facing the chamber, sometimes sideways.
Tore it apart, and everything appears clean, and cycles properly. Pistons both move freely, bolt seems to track properly, recoil spring doesn't seem to bind. Bolt definitely comes back far enough to want to strip another round from mag (except theres usually a spent brass in the way) and it does recock the hammer.
I think I will try single-shooting it as mentioned, perhaps I might see something, but on the last round from the mag it always acts normal. Except it doesn't lock the bolt open when empty, but this mag appears to be built that way....

lone-wolf
02-12-2015, 01:35 PM
has a detachable mag.

First step, change rifle back to factory config, use the factory mag. If possible.
I also never heard of an aftermarket sks mag not acting on the last shot hold open, which makes me more suspicious.
Assuming it's not an sks-d! haha

Give the chamber a good cleaning too for laquer build up.

A google search also came up with the idea of wrapping the gas tube to port area with duct tape. 2nd page on this thread.
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=97921.15

kennymo
02-12-2015, 01:46 PM
Only other thing I can think of is ejection issue?

Dmay
02-12-2015, 03:22 PM
I think it's all original, I mean nothing plastic or looking new. The mag is different from others I've seen....doesn't have that "extension" piece sticking out the front....I'll get some pics tonight...

Cleaned chamber, and the extractor seems to grab the cartridge rim properly, and the ejector "bump" shows a wee bit of wear on the corner, but nothing much in my opinion.

rgallant
02-12-2015, 03:49 PM
Hmm last round always works, that sounds almost like there is a mag issue. So almost like the bolt is dragging on the remaining rounds, so as it moves rearward it is getting enough resistance to interfere with proper extraction. If it was a really fouled chamber I would expect that to happen everytime including the last round.

Only one other thought you don't have some kind of scope rail or casing deflector that could be interfering ?

But it sounds like as SKS D so chamber a round pop the mag out and see what happens

If the round extracts correctly try the same test with 2 rounds chamber leave the mag in and seem if you get the same extract problem if so I would tend to suspect the mag.

I have standard SKS in a Tapco stock, with 5 round promags and a warteck rail feeds and ejects flawlessly.

TheHydrant
02-13-2015, 07:09 AM
yes, if too much gas escapes before it can push the piston back with enough force it won't fully cycle. I've had it happen when I tried swapping out the gas tube and it wasn't snug enough. It will fail to eject and possibly jam

Dmay
02-13-2015, 08:56 AM
Thank you all so much. I will get a chance to play with it some this weekend, and will report.....

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l204/dmay223/DSCF2136_zpsea0f9b1a.jpg (http://s97.photobucket.com/user/dmay223/media/DSCF2136_zpsea0f9b1a.jpg.html)

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l204/dmay223/DSCF2138_zps62030ee0.jpg (http://s97.photobucket.com/user/dmay223/media/DSCF2138_zps62030ee0.jpg.html)

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l204/dmay223/DSCF2141_zpsaa856045.jpg (http://s97.photobucket.com/user/dmay223/media/DSCF2141_zpsaa856045.jpg.html)

kennymo
02-13-2015, 09:00 AM
Tell him to look after his gun better while you're trouble shooting...none of my SKS's have those rusty spots....:)

rgallant
02-13-2015, 10:31 AM
Ok so SKS D model it is stock. But yes start with a really good clean looks like a lot of gunk in there, could be the images but it look like a lot of build up of "stuff".

As well it looks really worn the left side of the magwell looks dinged up or damaged ? (top in the last image)

lone-wolf
02-13-2015, 01:11 PM
Oh neat, it is an sks-d, no stripper clip guide and isn't supposed to lock back on the last shot.
They'll fetch a lot more than they're worth on the market, good plan to look after it better.

Dmay
02-17-2015, 07:38 AM
Got 'er solved I believe, and the culprit appears to be the ammo.
I cleaned and re-inspected everything, then single-shot it a couple times to see if anything would show up. Had some Norinco-brand ammo laying around, so loaded the mag up, every one ejected fine, loaded mag again with the ammo he supplied, every one stovepiped, and another mag of the Norinco, every one worked fine again. So I'm calling it good for now.
Thanks to everybody for the suggestions and help, I appreciate it.

Gaidheal
02-17-2015, 08:29 AM
I like happy endings.

kennymo
02-17-2015, 09:04 AM
What was the ammo out of curiousity? Did it look like it had been poorly stored or anything?

goosesniper
02-17-2015, 09:55 AM
Congrats

Dmay
02-17-2015, 02:37 PM
What was the ammo out of curiousity? Did it look like it had been poorly stored or anything?

Not sure what the ammo is, he just gave me couple strippers of it, will check. Some ugly mil-surp hard point looked like...
Looked fine, not dirty or corroded or anything.
I did read something about some ammo sold as "Wolf" brand (I think it was) that was giving people trouble when trying to function in SKS.......

Satain
02-17-2015, 09:47 PM
I have cleaned the gas block and it's hole into the barrel. The gas tube doesn't fit super tight onto the block, but not a big gap or anything either.
I've read that having the recoil spring in backwards can cause problems, but it's right...
Have also heard that some ammo is underpowered, perhaps I'll try that next....
Hmm...
Check the 2 pistons for marring?
Please also try to describe the malfunction better or take a picture.
How is the magazine pinned?
Is the spring on the oprod binding or broken?

Satain
02-17-2015, 09:48 PM
Not sure what the ammo is, he just gave me couple strippers of it, will check. Some ugly mil-surp hard point looked like...
Looked fine, not dirty or corroded or anything.
I did read something about some ammo sold as "Wolf" brand (I think it was) that was giving people trouble when trying to function in SKS.......
Due to lacquer build up in the chamber.

Scandinavian-22
05-13-2015, 10:33 AM
SKS Mag latch problem

Hi all,

I am trying to replace my SKS mag latch with an extended one. I have tied back the latch to relieve spring tension pressing against the latch retaining pin. However, despite multiple HARD hits using a Chrome punch and good sized hammer, I can't get the pin to budge more than a mm or so in either direction.

Any suggestions to free stuck pins that won't cost too much $$?

kennymo
05-13-2015, 10:50 AM
SKS Mag latch problem

Hi all,

I am trying to replace my SKS mag latch with an extended one. I have tied back the latch to relieve spring tension pressing against the latch retaining pin. However, despite multiple HARD hits using a Chrome punch and good sized hammer, I can't get the pin to budge more than a mm or so in either direction.

Any suggestions to free stuck pins that won't cost too much $$?

A 5lb cross pein hammer is about twelve bucks at Home Depot.....:)

Chrome punch? Maybe the wrong size or style of punch? I've never had to remove that bit from an SKS....

Scandinavian-22
05-13-2015, 11:09 AM
It's a pretty standard punch and the size shouldn't have been an issue as the pin sticks out quite a ways, I have a brass set too but I would have bent the brass with how hard I was hitting. I'm not sure brute force will do the trick without causing damage.

Haywire1
05-13-2015, 12:00 PM
Lots of the pins only drift out one direction. Try drifting it from the other side.

Satain
05-13-2015, 12:08 PM
Besides sending it to me...
Please watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpiIzS0gWFw

Scandinavian-22
05-13-2015, 02:37 PM
I tried removing the pin from both direction but sadly little luck. I only managed to shift the pins about 1 mm in either direction.

Satain
05-14-2015, 01:01 PM
I tried removing the pin from both direction but sadly little luck. I only managed to shift the pins about 1 mm in either direction.
Where do you live?
Have you tried Kroil oil on it yet?

statixstorm
05-18-2015, 04:28 PM
Those pins can take a lot of working.

+1 Kroil oil

Scandinavian-22
05-25-2015, 03:24 PM
Kingston Ontario, no I haven't tried Kroil... is it a penetrating oil?

Haywire1
05-25-2015, 04:17 PM
Yup it is.

DanN
05-26-2015, 12:26 PM
Whenever I work on my SKS, I imagine myself being a Russian, and do it the Russian way. :P

(No, really, I love my SKS.)

Haywire1
05-26-2015, 12:53 PM
And for the record, that little punch looking deal that comes in the cleaning kit, doubles as a punch for removing the various sized pins. It actually was a pretty well inclusive design.