PDA

View Full Version : ATT Question

chadeech
02-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Greetinsg

Here is the deal i got a PAL as my interests were satisfied ,long distance target
Milsurp , Clay shooting ,But
I have recently been getting a bug for handguns specifically what i consider historical pieces
TT33,Peacemaker,1911 and the like
Now if i upgraded to my RPAL purchased off the EE ,would i not be legal in having it stored correctly of course at my house even if i don't have a club membership and a ATT as long as it never leaves the house.
Or am i way off here
Cheers

TheCenturion
02-12-2015, 02:48 PM
The law doesn't say anything at all about any of that. If you have your RPAL, you can, well, 'posess' and 'acquire' 'restricted' firearms. In theory, you should be instantly given an ATT for the asking, to get it home at least. Also in theory, you should be instantly given, for the asking, a 'long term' ATT to take your firearm to border crossings, gun stores, gun smiths, and legally registered ranges. After all, why give you the RPAL if they're not willing to give you the ATT to at least get the damn thing home?

The CFO of your province, however, may well have very different ideas.

Steveo9mm
02-12-2015, 07:21 PM
The EE? Go wash your mouth out with soap. This is GOC

Kane63
02-12-2015, 08:33 PM
If it's shipped to your door you wouldn't even need an ATT, you'd only have to transfer it.

awndray
02-13-2015, 06:40 AM
This has been discussed at length in other threads. Legally, with an RPAL you can own a restricted firearm without needing a club membership and ATT. The ultimate challenge will be to convince the Quebec CFO.

CaperJim
02-13-2015, 08:44 AM
The EE? Go wash your mouth out with soap. This is GOC

Haha!

3MTA3
02-13-2015, 08:56 AM
More and more,iin Ontario they need to know what you intend to do with the firearm, before they will let you possess it.

scradley17
02-13-2015, 09:54 AM
What is ur RPAL just it restricted licence??

3MTA3
02-13-2015, 10:15 AM
RPAL = -Possession and Acquisition firearms License including Restricted firearms and Non restricted firearms conditions
PAL = - Possession and Acquisition License-Non restricted firearms condition

Kobs
02-20-2015, 06:48 PM
You got your PAL, now you want to acquire handguns but just as showpieces... Believe me, get your regular RPAL and all that comes with it, you will want to shoot your guns :evil1:

DethMyst
03-14-2015, 08:33 PM
Greetinsg

Here is the deal i got a PAL as my interests were satisfied ,long distance target
Milsurp , Clay shooting ,But
I have recently been getting a bug for handguns specifically what i consider historical pieces
TT33,Peacemaker,1911 and the like
Now if i upgraded to my RPAL purchased off the EE ,would i not be legal in having it stored correctly of course at my house even if i don't have a club membership and a ATT as long as it never leaves the house.
Or am i way off here
Cheers

Not entirely sure on your wording of your question, but I THINK you're asking if you can buy and store restricted guns without an ATT. YES, you can. And you're right - NO, they cannot leave your house. Well they can, but you have to call the CFO to get a one-time ATT every time.

That's what I did. I bought restricted guns long before I had completed jumping through the hoops of joining a local gun club. Perfectly legal to buy and store. I just couldn't do anything with it.

SOME clubs allow non-members to shoot at them, such as Silverdale in Ontario (You pay a daily non-member fee to use their range). So I suppose you could call the CFO to get an ATT from/to your house and the club, shoot there, then return home. But it would be up to the CFO whether or not they'd want to issue an ATT to someone to go shooting, who was not a member of club yet. Also, some online stores will not sell to anyone who does not belong to a member of a club. In the checkout form, some have a box asking for "Gun club: " . Although with my first handgun, I entered "none yet" and they sold it to me. But that's just store policy which can differ from store to store. It's still completely legal to sell to someone who has an RPAL but not an ATT.

But to answer your question, yes, you could upgrade your PAL to restricted, order a handgun online and have it shipped to your house, and store it there until you became a member of a club to go shoot it at.

manic29
03-15-2015, 02:29 PM
nope. The commie CFO won't approve the transfer without you having an ATT beforehand.

Doug_M
03-15-2015, 03:10 PM
nope. The commie CFO won't approve the transfer without you having an ATT beforehand.

That's not true in NS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DethMyst
03-15-2015, 05:34 PM

Not true in Ontario either. I owned... at least 2 handguns before I was a member of a club and had my ATT.

3MTA3
03-15-2015, 06:03 PM
In Ontario you have to have registered firearms in order to get a club ATT.

With respect to buying watch this starting from 18:11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A65c0C9aXGM

DethMyst
03-16-2015, 03:36 AM
^^ Not true. That video was from Mar. 2014 which is well before I got my license (Sep. 2014). I got my RPAL, was not a member of any club, bought a pistol from a place in Ontario, then bought a pistol from another place in B.C., all before I became a member of a local club. AND... other people joining the club were able to do so without owning any guns themselves.

ATTs are only required for moving your guns around. Hence the term, Authorization to TRANSPORT. You do not need an ATT to purchase a gun and have it shipped to your house. My experience is proof of that.
You do not need to own guns before you can get a club ATT, everyone else I know of is proof of that.

I'm just stating the process I went through, and the process others went through. It shows you can own guns without an ATT, and you can get your club ATT without owning guns.

3MTA3
03-16-2015, 04:36 AM
I am not saying that you cannot buy a restricted firearm without being a member of a club. I am saying that more and more the CFO's office is moving toward that position (for example you will usually get asked what club you belong to by a retailer during the purchase process -this has been the case for a long time). With respect to a long term club ATT in Ontario, the CFO's office demands that the club state that the candidate has registered restricted firearms. Certainly there will be cases where these standards are not met but generally this is how the Ontario CFO's office would like to apply them. Obviously if club ATT's are issued to persons without owning RFA's then someone is either negligent, deceptive or a fibber-
And certainly you can even own firearms without a license or registration - and not even have ATT and yet carry them around stuffed in your waist band, but that is generally frowned upon.
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t412/sluggo_m14/8c62f629-3562-4b37-9d29-f8e0cb103255_zpsoh727hho.png

awndray
03-16-2015, 05:00 AM
You do NOT need to be a member of a club to buy a restricted firearm in Ontario. Please stop spreading rumors.

Canada_Phil
03-16-2015, 05:25 AM
You do NOT need to be a member of a club to buy a restricted firearm in Ontario. Please stop spreading rumors.

You sure about that Awndray?

It seems to me that its next to impossible to purchase any handgun without a verifiable Gun Club membership??

awndray
03-16-2015, 05:49 AM
Yes, I'm quite sure. I did it years ago, before I joined a club; and I recently sold a restricted to a friend of mine, who is not a member of any club.

3MTA3
03-16-2015, 09:44 AM

I am not spreading rumors and also not saying that anyone has never bought a restricted firearm outside of a club.
Please forward your accusation to the Ontario CFO and the RCMP.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/restr-eng.htm

Permitted purposes for a restricted firearm

There are a few purposes for which individuals can be licensed to acquire or possess a restricted firearm, the most common being target practice or target shooting competitions, or as part of a collection.

In limited circumstances, restricted firearms are also allowed for use in connection with one's lawful profession or occupation, or to protect life.

Exception: Individuals who have a firearm that is registered to them as a relic under the former legislation may continue to possess it for that purpose. However, they cannot pass that designation on to the next owner. The next owner can acquire the firearm only for one of the purposes referred to above.

As set out in the Firearms Act, a relic firearm is one that is of value as a curiosity or rarity, or that is valued as a memento, remembrance or souvenir.
Criteria for each purpose

Depending on which purpose is claimed, there are specific criteria that must be met, as follows:
Target Shooting Practice and Competition

To be authorized to have restricted firearms for target shooting purposes, an individual must provide proof that he or she practices or competes at an approved shooting club or range. For more information about approved shooting clubs and ranges, contact the appropriate provincial or territorial CFO by calling 1-800-731-4000.
Collectors of Restricted Firearms

To be authorized to have restricted firearms as part of a collection, an individual must:

Know the historical, technical or scientific features of such firearms in their collection
Consent to occasional inspections of the place where their collection is stored
Comply with regulations dealing with safe storage, record-keeping and other matters related to restricted firearms

https://www.wanstallsonline.com/cart.php?mode=checkout -when you checkout they ask for club.

mrg372k9
03-16-2015, 11:29 AM

It seems to me that its next to impossible to purchase any handgun without a verifiable Gun Club membership??
My first purchase was a restricted and i was not a member of a club at that time.

Canada_Phil
03-16-2015, 11:44 AM
My first purchase was a restricted and i was not a member of a club at that time.

Well thats great for you guys. You both appeared to give examples from the PAST.

I seriously doubt that someone getting getting their RPAL in Ontario today is not going to be getting the third degree when their first EVER purchase is a handgun, and the closest range is an hours drive away... And they are NOT a member... And the range isn't accepting any new members "at this time".

mrg372k9
03-16-2015, 11:57 AM
Well thats great for you guys. You both appeared to give examples from the PAST.

I seriously doubt that someone getting getting their RPAL in Ontario today is not going to be getting the third degree when their first EVER purchase is a handgun, and the closest range is an hours drive away... And they are NOT a member... And the range isn't accepting any new members "at this time".
I'm still a noob so the past isn't very distant for me, my first purchase was in 2013, and wasn't a hand gun either, was an AR. Must have been lucky... I took it as a victory besides i didn't know any better

awndray
03-16-2015, 12:19 PM

November 2014 is not that long ago. Think what you will. I speak from experience - not conjecture.

Canada_Phil
03-16-2015, 12:35 PM
Interesting.

Must be lots of people in their basements just practicing doing Cowboy twirls with handguns then?

Just as an aside, for new shooters, the 3 ranges within an hours drive of me...

- 1 is NOT accepting any NEW members at this time
- 1 is only accepting applications from those receiving a formal invitation from an a least 1 year member
- And the other requires you to at least "know" a current member.

Also, the fine print of the first one also states that your application still needs to be approved by a consensus of members attending the next monthly meeting, and the last club is not even open during winter!!

Lolz.

So the shooting scene is not exactly "friendly" to newbies.

Edenchef
03-16-2015, 01:26 PM
:trool:

And your point is???? Phil.

Cheers!

Canada_Phil
03-16-2015, 01:53 PM
:trool:

And your point is???? Phil.

Cheers!

Simply that strictly according to "regulation", in theory you need a Club Membership to even think about getting a handgun. Yet many clubs are not even willing to take on Any new members or will only take on someone specifically vouched for by a current member.

So what is someone completely NEW to shooting sports to do? For that matter what does anyone in the GTA do? Does Toronto even have any Gun Clubs?

For all our talk about wanting to have greater acceptance and exposure to the general public, we sure do have a way of self-segregating ourselves and being a closed knit secretive bunch... At least that is how we are perceived by a large percentage of non-firearms owners.

Further... Just to clarify something for you guys out West...

There is nothing remotely like the Calgary Shooting Centre anywhere in South/Central Ontario. And up until a few years ago, there were many areas just North of the GTA where one could still at least shoot your Non-Restricted firearms on Crown Land or Private Property. But that is now rapidly diminishing as many municipalities have enacted NO shooting bylaws. I can't even shot on a relatives 75 acres anymore as it now falls within an area with one of those bylaws!

Other than say a couple weeks a year, when its the controlled deer hunt or Turkey season, No shooting is now permitted. Ok, so just get a membership at a club one would think right? Nope.. Not so easy. Its next to impossible for a new shooter to find a club anywhere near him that is actively accepting new members. And we are not even into the issue of Handguns and the ATT yet! So the issue of more and more municipalities coupled with Gun Clubs (at least within 1 hours drive of me one way) not accepting "new" members is in effect creating quasi-gun BANS! I have no idea what new shooters just outside the GTA do? They must have to drive for HOURS just to get somewhere they can legally use their firearms.

I don't think you guys out West have any clue what that is like.

DethMyst
03-16-2015, 06:41 PM

I did. I bought my first 2 handguns online before I was a member of a club. I think Elwood Epps has a box on the checkout form saying "Gun Club: " and I just put "none yet", and I don't think Wanstalls asks for your club.

Hehe, one person on here is arguing that you can't become a member of a club without owning a restricted first, the other is saying you can't get a restricted unless you are already a member of a club. :)

All I know is, I just got my RPAL back in September. I purchased 2 handguns between September and October. I became a member of my club I believe in November (2014). My club did not ask me to prove I owned a restricted.

Now, you cannot get a long-term club ATT without being a member of a club, as they apply for it on your behalf.

I think different people are getting different answers from the CFO, which is why the CFO has to go. They seem to make up laws on the fly, many of which contradict each other. Have one set of laws, Canada-wide (which is what is SUPPOSED to be in place), black and white in writing. Let the CFO's do registrations, transfers, etc. But it's become ridiculous how the CFO gets to basically make/edit/remove laws on the fly, as they see choose. It has everyone wondering what the actual laws are. And having a different CFO for each province is ludicrous for something that is supposed to be governed federally. The Ontario CFO has one set of rules for Ontario clubs to follow, the CFO for Alberta could have a completely different set in place.

They need one central office that handles everything, under command of the exact same rules for everyone.

Just my $0.02 :D (which I guess now-a-days, is rounded down to $0.00.)

3MTA3
03-16-2015, 08:07 PM
27. On being informed of a proposed transfer
of a prohibited firearm or restricted firearm
under section 23.2, a chief firearms officer shall
(a) verify
(i) whether the transferee or individual
holds a licence,
(ii) whether the transferee or individual is
still eligible to hold that licence, and
(iii) whether the licence authorizes the
transferee or individual to acquire that
kind of firearm or to acquire prohibited
weapons, prohibited devices, ammunition
or prohibited ammunition, as the case may
be;
(b) in the case of a proposed transfer of a restricted
firearm or a handgun referred to in
subsection 12(6.1) (pre-December 1, 1998
handguns), verify the purpose for which the
transferee or individual wishes to acquire the
restricted firearm or handgun and determine
whether the particular restricted firearm or
handgun is appropriate for that purpose;
(c) decide whether to approve the transfer
and inform the Registrar of that decision; and
(d) take the prescribed measures.

Permitted
purposes
28. A chief firearms officer may approve the
transfer to an individual of a restricted firearm
or a handgun referred to in subsection 12(6.1)
(pre-December 1, 1998 handguns) only if the
chief firearms officer is satisfied(a) that the individual needs the restricted
firearm or handgun
(i) to protect the life of that individual or
of other individuals, or
(ii) for use in connection with his or her
lawful profession or occupation; or
(b) that the purpose for which the individual
wishes to acquire the restricted firearm or
handgun is
(i) for use in target practice, or a target
shooting competition, under conditions
specified in an authorization to transport
or under the auspices of a shooting club or
shooting range that is approved under section
29, or
(ii) to form part of a gun collection of the
individual, in the case of an individual
who satisfies the criteria described in section
1995, c. 39, s. 28; 2003, c. 8, s. 21.

I am only saying that the Ontario CFO expects you to have a registered firearm before the club applies for a LTATT and that the strategy seems to be that they want you to be a club member or they will try to assume you are a collector, as those are the only purposes in their eyes.

Edenchef
03-16-2015, 08:25 PM
DM, I believe that the CFO's deliberately keep the procedures different from province to province in order to keep us arguing with each other and keep us off balance. It appears that even in a single jurisdiction, the CFO tells different clubs different things, about how our ranges should be built or upgraded.

Cheers!

Canada_Phil
03-17-2015, 05:47 AM
I did. I bought my first 2 handguns online before I was a member of a club. I think Elwood Epps has a box on the checkout form saying "Gun Club: " and I just put "none yet", and I don't think Wanstalls asks for your club.

Interesting... And the Orillia Gun Club is directly behind Epps. Also, OGC, according to their website is NOT accepting new members at this time! (I just looked it up!) hahaha.

I personally have not come across too many online order forms that did not have a field that required you to enter the name and/or location of your club along with your license #. So this is a very confusing subject to say the least. I think the long and the short of it is that in Ontario, it seems that this regulation is never administered the same way twice!

One hope for me in C42 is that it brings some clarity to the ATT & club "membership" issues in Ontario.

Delta Whiskey
03-17-2015, 01:46 PM
I can only speak about my experience on the matter, but I waited until I had "probationary" status at my gun club before I bought my first restricted. I had to make sure I bought my first restricted before finishing my probationary period so the club could apply for my LTATT. I didn't try to buy a restricted firearm before I became a member of a club because I knew I would have no legal way of using it, so only NR purchases for me beforehand.

DethMyst
03-17-2015, 06:04 PM
I am only saying that the Ontario CFO expects you to have a registered firearm before the club applies for a LTATT and that the strategy seems to be that they want you to be a club member or they will try to assume you are a collector, as those are the only purposes in their eyes.

Yes but nowhere does it say you need to be a club member. They would obviously assume that you're GOING to be a member of a club in the future to shoot targets. They assumed that with me, and that was only 4 months ago. Transfers and registrations were sent to me for 2 handguns (2 separate purchases, different dates) before I was a member of anything. And when I purchased the guns, I remember one site having a box for "Gun club: " and I just said "none yet" and it was still approved.

So on the parts you quoted, it doesn't mention anything about having to be a member, and from my actual real-life experience, you don't have to be a member.

:D

I think this discussion is so interesting that maybe we should actually CALL some CFOs and post in this thread what their answer is. (?)

3MTA3
03-17-2015, 06:59 PM
I did not express myself well enough. I also know people who have purchased restricted firearms without belonging to a club. Also please bear in mind that I am assuming we are not talking about possessing firearms for the purposes of one's occupation or protection of life, but rather we are considering the majority of recreational users.

What I am saying is that I hear more people being challenged more often about their intended use. This is just what I am hearing. The CFO has also expressed this verbally.

More and more,iin Ontario they need to know what you intend to do with the firearm, before they will let you possess it

The RCMP posts this similarily on their page:-

To be authorized to have restricted firearms for target shooting purposes, an individual must provide proof that he or she practices or competes at an approved shooting club or range. For more information about approved shooting clubs and ranges, contact the appropriate provincial or territorial CFO by calling 1-800-731-4000.
Collectors of Restricted Firearms

I am also saying that the CFO in Ontario expects you to have registered firearms to get a "Club" ATT- it says so on the form that clubs must submit to apply on members behalf for a Club ATT which is typically referred to informally as a long term LTATT. This same form also specifies the training and testing.-

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t412/sluggo_m14/8c62f629-3562-4b37-9d29-f8e0cb103255_zpsoh727hho.png

In Ontario you have to have registered firearms in order to get a club ATT

The Firearms Act lays out the basis on which restricted firearms may be possssed -

28. A chief firearms officer may approve the
transfer to an individual of a restricted firearm
or a handgun referred to in subsection 12(6.1)
(pre-December 1, 1998 handguns) only if the
chief firearms officer is satisfied(a) that the individual needs the restricted
firearm or handgun
(i) to protect the life of that individual or
of other individuals, or
(ii) for use in connection with his or her
lawful profession or occupation; or
(b) that the purpose for which the individual
wishes to acquire the restricted firearm or
handgun is
(i) for use in target practice, or a target
shooting competition, under conditions
specified in an authorization to transport
or under the auspices of a shooting club or
shooting range that is approved under section
29, or
(ii) to form part of a gun collection of the
individual, in the case of an individual
who satisfies the criteria described in section
1995, c. 39, s. 28; 2003, c. 8, s. 21.

RCMP Fact sheets-

...Transfers of restricted firearms are sent to the CFO for the jurisdiction, who will review the transfer, to ensure that the transferee is acquiring the firearm for one of the permitted purposes set out in section 28 of the Firearms Act. In addition, the transferee will need to obtain an ATT to transport the firearm to its new location.

On renewal of a firearms licence (every five years as required by law) and in accordance with subsection 67(2) of the Firearms Act, a CFO is required to review and confirm the purpose for which an individual possesses restricted or prohibited firearms, except for firearms which are relics as set out in subsection 67(4).

Allowable purposes for possession, under paragraph 28(b) of the Firearms Act, include: a) target practice or target shooting competition (under certain ATT conditions or at an approved shooting club or range); or b) to form part of a gun collection, if the individual meets certain criteria. As part of the confirmation of purpose, the CFO "…shall decide whether any of those firearms or handguns that the individual possesses are being used for…" target practice or competition or collection.

Further, the CFO has the authority under subsection 15(1) of the Shooting Clubs and Shooting Ranges Regulations to request written confirmation from a shooting club or range of "…the participation, if any, of a current or past member…of the shooting club…in target practice or target shooting competitions within the previous five years…." The CFO is able to confirm the purpose for which an individual indicated he or she was acquiring the firearm by looking at an individual's history of ATT issuance over the term of their licence (for target practice) and, if necessary, by reviewing the records kept by a club or range.

Clubs are obliged to keep records of persons using their ranges- why would that be?

Participation of Officers, Members and their Guests

15. (1) The operator of an approved shooting club shall, on the request of a chief firearms officer, supply a written description of the participation, if any, of a current or past member or officer of the shooting club or his or her guest, in target practice or target shooting competitions within the previous five years, where subsection 67(2) of the Act applies to the member, officer or guest.

(2) The operator of an approved shooting club shall, on the request of a current or past member or officer of the shooting club or his or her guest, supply to the requestor the description referred to in subsection (1) that concerns the requestor.

Apparently this happens outside of Ontario as well-
-http://www.responsiblefirearmsreform.ca/cfo-misfires/

"Three years ago I was advised by the CFO's office that unless I was a member of a gun club I couldn't keep my own handguns. I live in Wilkie, SK...a town of 1200 people. We don't have a gun club.

Apparently I was considered quite trustworthy to carry a loaded handgun from June, 1973 until June, 1998...as a member of the RCMP. I was further trusted to own handguns without being a member of a gun club while in Carlyle, SK until I moved to Wilkie in 2001...and until I renewed my PAL 3 years ago.

Suddenly, for some unknown reason, the CFO changed his mind and I was no longer considered trustworthy to own my own property. The CFO insisted that I join a gun club or dispose of my handguns. He further insisted that I do this or he would deny my PAL...presumably even the portion that allowed me to own NON-RESTRICTED firearms.

I had no choice but to sell my own property. Property I had owned with no issues for many, many years. "

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t412/sluggo_m14/Collector_zpsbozyfgox.png

And you know what else?- they would prefer you not target shoot anything (R o NR) on crown or private land outside of a section 29 range

Pursuant to section 109 of the Firearms Act, it is an offence to operate a shooting club or shooting range except under an approval of the provincial minister for the province in which the premises of the shooting club or shooting range are located

DethMyst
03-19-2015, 07:50 AM
Uggg, I had a reply all typed out that I just deleted because after re-reading it my head is spinning.

It seems one faction wants you to be shooting your restricteds at your club before they let you have at ATT for your restricteds. I think. I had it all sorted out in my head, then it went to jello as I typed.

TheCenturion
05-06-2015, 11:15 AM

Not to resurrect the dead thread, but here's my experience.
Yesterday, around noon: Got my RPAL in the mail.
Yesterday, around 4:45 pm: Purchased a handgun at Ellwood Epps. They called it in as I was leaving. I'd explained to the guy that I just got my RPAL that very day. He asked if I had a club membership, I said I had an application into a range. Which I had submitted, of course, that very day. About ten minutes before I left for Ellwood Epps, actually.
Today, at about 1:10 PM, got a call from Ellwood Epps that the ATT was there, valid until June 6th, and I could come take possession of my handgun.

At no point was I contacted by anybody. I spoke to the sales guy at Ellwood Epps, and that was that.

Kobs
05-15-2015, 09:20 AM
The OP is in montreal (quebec) i'm guessing,I too am from QC and having bought 3 so far, they do ask you for a club membership for the transfer in QC, they did on all 3 counts when i bought mine and were very specific and that in 2 different stores. they need to know where you intent to shoot that gun or the transfer doesn't go trough. I have no idea though if there's a special clause for "collectors" but i doubt it. With the government we have in quebec, just the fact of owning a gun means that you intend to do something criminal with it.
Edit: Plus with that "anastasia" law you have to shoot that gun at least once a year or it will be confiscated so it pretty much says it all.

Mobusten
05-15-2015, 10:13 AM
When I was living in Vancouver a couple years ago, I let my club membership lapse, and a few months later I got a letter in the mail from the CFO THREATENING that if I don't join a club and submit proof that they would change my status over to a "collector".

Steveo9mm
05-15-2015, 02:44 PM
That reminds me. I gotta get a membership again. Been since october. Im going to hell :run:

grauhanen
05-20-2015, 01:03 PM
Not to resurrect the dead thread, but here's my experience.
Yesterday, around noon: Got my RPAL in the mail.
Yesterday, around 4:45 pm: Purchased a handgun at Ellwood Epps. They called it in as I was leaving. I'd explained to the guy that I just got my RPAL that very day. He asked if I had a club membership, I said I had an application into a range. Which I had submitted, of course, that very day. About ten minutes before I left for Ellwood Epps, actually.
Today, at about 1:10 PM, got a call from Ellwood Epps that the ATT was there, valid until June 6th, and I could come take possession of my handgun.

At no point was I contacted by anybody. I spoke to the sales guy at Ellwood Epps, and that was that.
My experience in Ontario was similar. I got my RPAL in 2013 and early this year I saw a handgun I wanted to get. I gave the sales guy the information he asked, including the name of one of the clubs at which I shoot, and a couple days later I got a call that they got my short term ATT so I could pick up my purchase. My club is getting my LTATT.