PDA

View Full Version : Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock

DOA
02-15-2015, 06:52 PM
Has anyone had experience with the Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock? I'm looking for a decent stock to upgrade my Savage Long Range Hunter 111. I only use it for long range targets. Will be upgrading the barrel at some point but it shoots ok now, better than I do. The accustock just doesn't seem to fit me. I'm not looking to spend a fortune as the more I spend on this the farther out I push my 338 build.

I'm open to suggestions!

Drache
02-15-2015, 07:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/YhA6bD5.jpg

Really enjoyed it.

Petamocto
02-15-2015, 07:48 PM
I don't want to base my opinion on a photo without holding it, but it looks like it's incredibly uncomfortable ergonomically compared to other things available.

Look at how beautiful these are molded in comparison, I would love to hold and own something that looked like these:

http://www.eurooptic.com/Images/products/Tikka-T3-Sporter-20-inch.jpg

http://www.wingevapen.no/productimages/img6260GRS%20Jaktfelt%20-%20Varmint%20Stock%208.jpg

Those are works of art compared to what you posted, which looks Glock-like in its blockiness. Even if you wanted the synthetic tactical look instead of laminate, I'd go with something that looked like this:

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/jaegap02.jpg

http://www.snipercentral.com/images/psg1.jpg

stevesummit
02-15-2015, 08:22 PM
Step away from the ultimate sniper !!

Petamocto
02-15-2015, 08:26 PM
Source review (after the good and the bad): http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/Choate_USS.asp

The Ugly

If I were in charge of Choate I never would have let this stock go to market the way it was designed. My biggest personal complaint of the whole stock lies in the design of the stock's forearm. There are several issues that I will address here.

First of all, I believe Choate honestly tried to make this stock be too many things to too many different people. If you go to their web site they advertise this stock to "Sniper/Target" use. I believe this is the design philosophy that inspired them to design this aspect (forearm) of the stock. They have tried to combine several target and bench rest shooting features that work well individually, although combined neither work well nor even compliment each other.

For example, the forearm is 2.5" in width and squared off at the bottom similar to what a bench rest stock would resemble. The forearm is flat for only 1.5" and then angles abruptly upwards. While the width and design of the forearm is adequate for a bench rest rifle it is not adequate for a rifle that is being marketed as a sniper stock. It simply adds to the legitimate complaint that the stock is too cumbersome for the marketed usage. Keeping the width of the forearm at 2" or less would be preferable for a sniper stock.

Furthermore, the flat un-angled area of the forearm is just too small, in my opinion, to ensure that the stock will remain steady while using sandbags for example. There simply isn't enough surface area here to adequately support the heavy weight of the weapon while using the rifle in this manner. This is not only inadequate but may also be a safety concern as well.

The angled portion of the forearm is designed so that when a bipod is used with the U.S.S.'s accessory Anschutz type T-rail, the legs of the biped can swing forward in towards the stock for a more compact position under the barrel. This is assuming that you position the T-rail back far enough so that the biped's legs can remain folded up underneath the barrel. Beware that the position of the T-rail in the manner may not be the most comfortable or suitable position based on the shooter's needs.

This mounting rail is held in position underneath by a wing nut and stud arrangement that tightens into place against the rail's mating surface. A stud at the end of the rail can be used to mount accessories such as a bipod. While this all sounds good on paper, it is in no way suitable for the rigorous demands placed on equipment that a true sniper rifle is subjected to.

Canuck
02-15-2015, 08:29 PM
I don't want to base my opinion on a photo without holding it, but it looks like it's incredibly uncomfortable ergonomically compared to other things available.

Look at how beautiful these are molded in comparison, I would love to hold and own something that looked like these:

Those are works of art compared to what you posted, which looks Glock-like in its blockiness. Even if you wanted the synthetic tactical look instead of laminate, I'd go with something that looked like this:

I so want that Tikka Sporter in 6.5 x 55. Good call, Petamocto. I think the Choate would be a big mistake. There are much better stocks out there, especially for long range shooting.

Petamocto
02-15-2015, 08:38 PM
...Good call, Petamocto...

I dunno, I am but one man's opinion. I look at what he posted and it strikes me as ugly, but beauty is subjective, so I tried to posted to more visually appealing models for consideration.

I also think the Tavor is hideously ugly, but people still buy them, so clearly I don't have guns solved.

Drache
02-15-2015, 08:57 PM

http://www.wingevapen.no/productimages/img6260GRS%20Jaktfelt%20-%20Varmint%20Stock%208.jpg

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/jaegap02.jpg

Those are all very nice but the OP stated he did NOT want to spend a small fortune :p

Petamocto
02-15-2015, 09:01 PM
Those are all very nice but the OP stated he did NOT want to spend a small fortune :p

I'd rather have nothing than spend money to get junk.

Canuck
02-15-2015, 09:09 PM
I's true that some of the stocks shown are high end and out of the budgets of a lot of shooters. On the other hand, if you are going to shoot at long range with the .338 you can't scrimp on the stock, IMO. There has to be something between the Choate and the high end stuff for you. Where is Satain? He would probably have some good suggestions.

Drache
02-15-2015, 09:09 PM
I'd rather have nothing than spend money to get junk.

First off not everyone has the money to spend of stuff like that.

Second of all I quite enjoyed mine. I found it pretty comfortable for the cost of it.

Petamocto
02-15-2015, 09:20 PM
First off not everyone has the money to spend of stuff like that.

Second of all I quite enjoyed mine. I found it pretty comfortable for the cost of it.

I just posted the first few pics of things I found, obviously there are examples in between.

And I'm not sold that everyone has to buy crap all the time because they don't have a ton of money. I'd rather have three good guns than 10 crappy ones.

Drache
02-15-2015, 09:33 PM
And I'm not sold that everyone has to buy crap all the time because they don't have a ton of money. I'd rather have three good guns than 10 crappy ones.

Except we aren't talking about multiple stocks. The OP wants a stock that isn't that expensive. Now the OP asked about the Choate probably for two reasons. It has a totally different look compared to the stock he currently has, and you can pick them up for about $250 (way less if you don't mind a used one).

If the OP wants to spend an extra $100 and doesn't want that "over the top" look that the Choate Ultimate Sniper has, he could go for the Choate Tactical:

http://www.riflestock.com/store/images/store/3079-1.jpg

DOA
02-15-2015, 09:47 PM
Step away from the ultimate sniper !!

Why? What are my other options in the <$400 range?

Petamocto, I would much prefer any of those stocks but I have a budget in mind and will choose something like that on a different build. If I found a good used one that fit a Savage long action I'd be all over it, but they seem to be hard to find. I'm not interested in how it looks. I just want a stock that fits me for a reasonable price.

DOA
02-15-2015, 09:55 PM
I guess I should have been clear that this is chambered in 6.5x284. My go to gun for building my skill set in precision and long range shooting. I have plans to build a 338 for longer range that will have a bigger (buy once) budget.

lone-wolf
02-15-2015, 09:55 PM
Source review (after the good and the bad): http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/Choate_USS.asp

I don't think DOA is a police or military sniper.

Also from that review
When properly set up to fit the individual shooter's preferences, the U.S.S. is very comfortable to shoot from the prone position.
It is interesting to note that several of my best groups from my rifle came while mounted in this stock. My Sendero's parent stock is the high quality varmint type stock produced by H.S. Precision. I attribute the better groupings to being more comfortable in the prone position over the standard issue stock.
If you are a civilian looking for a stock that you can build a recreational sniper type rifle on for the purposes of target shooting or competition, then I would have no qualms in recommending this stock providing that the buyer was aware that some customizing was going to be necessary in order to make the stock a truly functional piece of equipment and that they could not afford to buy something better. I’m satisfied with my stock even though I had to learn about its shortcomings the hard way.

So it seems to be decent comfortable stock capable of good accuracy but has some design drawbacks that can be overcome with tinkering.
Personally I prefer the look of wood.

Canuck
02-15-2015, 10:00 PM
DOA, I did a long search and, unfortunately, for your model of rifle, there isn't really anything for it other than the Choate. And according to most people you have heard from so far, it may not be the best choice. Have you thought of a work around? I did do some (quick) research on reviews of the Savage 111. Perhaps you should stick with the present factory stock. It doesn't seem all that bad for your price range. Perhaps invest in a high(er) quality rest or bipod? Put a bit more into the optics? Are you reloading for the .338? Maybe different components will give you the long range accuracy you are looking for with the stock you have. Just thinking out loud here. Would like to help. Is this rifle primarily for hunting or target shooting?

Well, now that I see you're not shooting a .338 that changes a lot. I still stand by what I said regarding work arounds. What kind of groups are you getting now ? I still believe, if you are reloading, that you will have more of an effect than changing the stock although it looks like Petamocto may have found one for you. What don't you like about the factory stock?

Drache
02-15-2015, 10:04 PM
The only real downside to the Choate Sniper stock is maybe the weight. Its not a rifle you want to pack hunting, trust me on that.

DOA
02-15-2015, 11:20 PM
DOA, I did a long search and, unfortunately, for your model of rifle, there isn't really anything for it other than the Choate. And according to most people you have heard from so far, it may not be the best choice. Have you thought of a work around? I did do some (quick) research on reviews of the Savage 111. Perhaps you should stick with the present factory stock. It doesn't seem all that bad for your price range. Perhaps invest in a high(er) quality rest or bipod? Put a bit more into the optics? Are you reloading for the .338? Maybe different components will give you the long range accuracy you are looking for with the stock you have. Just thinking out loud here. Would like to help. Is this rifle primarily for hunting or target shooting?

Well, now that I see you're not shooting a .338 that changes a lot. I still stand by what I said regarding work arounds. What kind of groups are you getting now ? I still believe, if you are reloading, that you will have more of an effect than changing the stock although it looks like Petamocto may have found one for you. What don't you like about the factory stock?

I am reloading and the gun shoots better than I do. I'd call it an MOA gun. The current stock is fine, I just thought I could get one that fit better for comfort. It could just be that I don't have the gun set up properly, or that I don't know proper form yet. The 2 things that bother me are the sling stud to attach a bipod (which I removed after it cut through my sandbag) and the adjustable cheek rest is a pain to set right but I have to move it to get the bolt out.
I wouldn't buy a stock without handling it first so odds are I'll just learn to cope. I just noticed the $250 tag on a stock that could work so got curious. I appreciate the feedback folks!

killer kane
02-15-2015, 11:43 PM
I've got a modified folding sniper stock on a Savage .223 and a long action fixed varmint stock that I had on a 30-06 that ended up as a .284, I changed stocks on the long action after that, because I changed recoil lugs, the 223 still sits in the folder. They're heavy, but to be honest, they work fine.

zulu
02-16-2015, 12:08 AM
Hs precision stock used? Maybe a take off of a 110 fcp? Super stiff and it costs nothing to build up the cheek rest if your the only shooter.

Jay
02-16-2015, 03:10 PM

Donny Fenn
02-17-2015, 05:09 PM
i've only shot with one a couple of times as one of my relatives has one set up on a Savage. It was pretty comfortable to shoot with and carry. My only issue was with the stippling on the pistol grip and forearm, it was quite sharp/abrasive. I'd knock it down or tape it to take the edge off.

Drache
02-17-2015, 06:21 PM
My only issue was with the stippling on the pistol grip and forearm, it was quite sharp/abrasive.

They are designed to be shot while wearing gloves. No idea why. I took some sandpaper to mine.

Satain
02-17-2015, 09:41 PM
Save your money.
Choate stock will only leave ya wanting more.

practicool
03-04-2015, 05:39 PM
DOA, I had an Ultimate Sniper stock. Drache is right, it's a good stock for the money.
If your budget is limited it'll do the job fine. Having said that, I upgraded to an MDT LSS which didn't break the bank. I love it.
I put together the buttstock one piece at a time, based on the look of the basic model from XLR industries, ordering parts on ebay and making a few myself.
I don't foresee ever getting tired of the LSS. it really is a good value if a chassis is an option for you.