PDA

View Full Version : A critique of Calibre's reviews II: Electric Bugaloo

GunsNotPuns
02-16-2015, 08:50 PM
Last month I took Calibre to task for what I thought were overly generous reviews -- positive reviews given despite that the reviewer identified numerous problematic issues.

This month? I come to praise Calibre. All of the reviews explored the products well and the conclusions fit.

Let it not be said that GunsNotPuns can't praise as well as excoriate. Well done Calibre and its writers.

Foxer
02-16-2015, 08:52 PM
Haven't read that issue yet, but glad to hear it :)

kennymo
02-16-2015, 08:59 PM
I thought the SKS 'torture test' was a little over the top end of sensible, though firing reliably without removing the cosmoline was a surprise to me. Otherwise, I'm once again happy this little rag makes it to my doorstep. At least until the Canada Post 'Come and get your f###ing mail' program makes it to my neighbourhood.

Doug_M
02-17-2015, 05:30 AM
I've been a subscriber since issue 1. It just keeps getting better and better. I read a lot of American gun-related magazines too, but it is so nice to have a Canadian one. Kennymo, I was impressed with the SKS firing through the cosmoline too! Power of the short stroke piston operation I guess.

Gunter
02-17-2015, 05:41 AM
Last month I took Calibre to task for what I thought were overly generous reviews -- positive reviews given despite that the reviewer identified numerous problematic issues.

This month? I come to praise Calibre. All of the reviews explored the products well and the conclusions fit.

Let it not be said that GunsNotPuns can't praise as well as excoriate. Well done Calibre and its writers.

Fair and honest return GunsNotPuns.

Cheers
Gunter

Foxer
02-17-2015, 08:36 AM
Calibre's reviews II: Electric Bugaloo

Also, you lose two internets for reminding me that the 80's happened.

Frank@NorthTrail
02-17-2015, 10:32 AM
Also, you lose two internets for reminding me that the 80's happened.

Agreed! The fact that Electric Bugaloo was referenced is deeply concerning :p

GunsNotPuns
02-17-2015, 06:22 PM
It was a high point of 80s cinema!

Calibre
02-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the kind words! I was pretty happy with the issue overall... wish we'd had maybe one thing in there to satiate the non-black gun crowd, but alas, nothing worked out. And you would not believe some of the hate mail I've gotten for burning, torturing, and eventually blowing up a gun (apparently that's irresponsible?) and not featuring anything other than guns that "should only be owned by the police or the military." Being ingrained in the industry, I don't make contact with many folks that don't like guns of all shapes and colours, so I sort of forgot there were gun owners out there who's interests are bracketed entirely by things in walnut. The irony is, all this hate mail has been arriving even as I plan out the next issue, which will feature a pair of revolvers, and at least three lever-action rifles!

Also, as a publisher, I was very happy with it as well because it was the first issue to have been assembled on our new production computer and equally-new Samsung S27B970D monitor. Having given up trying to chase down the correct colour calibration settings on a couple cheaper old monitors, it was a real breath of fresh air to go check the proofs and have the printed product look exactly the same as it did on my screen, so that monitor was money well spent. Especially with that cover photo... I'd have hated to see that particular shot get washed out or otherwise butchered by a lack of colour calibration on our end. I don't know if any of you guys noticed, but the majority of the pictures looked better to my eye (the lighting on the Bersa shoot was perfect) and I think it'll only improve from here.

GunsNotPuns
02-19-2015, 07:22 PM
You can't be all things to all people -- you'll either annoy the black gun crowd or you'll annoy the wood 'n steel crowd. Personally, I've feet in both world so it doesn't matter much to me which way an issue swings.

Keep on keepin' on.

Oh, and the issue did look fantastic. That new equipment must have paid off.