PDA

View Full Version : Chiappa M1 9mm Input please?

Petamocto
02-18-2015, 06:29 PM
Hello everyone,

So I've stumbled on a guy selling a wood stock Chiappa M1 9mm, asking $500 and may take $400-$450, but I need more input please, because until 10 minutes ago I had never heard of this thing.

Here are the pros and cons as I see them for my situation:

Pros:

- I really like the idea of light ranch gun for the trunk, and I don't have one. I'd buy a Mini 14 if they were this price.
- I like sharing ammo for different platforms, and I already have a 9mm.
- Takes Beretta pistol mags, so 10-12 (if using the 40 mag).
- Seller seems pretty eager to sell. Not sure if I can go lower than $400 but maybe.
- Looks cool.
- Seems to be sold out practically everywhere at $510+tax, so at worst I could likely get what I paid for it, or possibly a profit.

Cons:

- There is a very damning review of one on CGN, saying the the thing is very stoppage prone (dozens per hundred rounds).
- I can deal with lower end features on a gun of this price point (plastic, finish marks, etc), but the trigger is reviewed as being very bad and heavy (Tavor-like), which would take $100+ to sort out.
- Overall I have an understanding that Chiappa generally makes crap, and usually I'm willing to pay more to get better quality.

If we were closer I would run a few mags through it and if I had no stoppages I'd buy it no problem.

It's the wood model here:

http://www.all4shooters.com/en/home/pistols/2014-articles/Chiappa-Firearms-new-products-2014/Chiappa-M1-9mm.jpg

Foxer
02-18-2015, 07:02 PM
The stoppage issue seems to be slightly magazine related. I did a bunch of research on these, thought of picking one up myself. Probably would have but the store was sold out.

The problem seems to be that the bullet approaches the chamber from a very high angle, and if the angle on the mag isn't 'just right' it's too steep, leading to stoppages. This appears to be why some people have chronic issues and others report zero problems at all. Now i'd guess you could mess with the mags a little and improve things - and a bit of research will probably turn up which mags are most likely to work well. Apperently they ship with pretty cheap mags. You may also find some ammo feeds better than others just based on oal and such. Overall they sound considerably better than the 22 versions with a little less plastic, but you may have to fiddle with mag issues and loading issues to get it running right based n the research I've done.

ScottNT
02-18-2015, 07:05 PM
No experience with Chiappa, but in the 400buck range I donīt think you can go wrong for a 9mm carbine. Is there any interchangabillity in parts with the original M-1?

zulu
02-18-2015, 07:28 PM
I have been looking at these as well!
I owned and was not impressed with the 22 version. But as foxer said these have had better reviews and less plastic

lone-wolf
02-18-2015, 08:04 PM
Why not get a real m1?
While, not usgi, my plainfield is non-res and built the same. It was cheaper too than the chiappa copy, but that was an extremely lucky find.
Tula is bringing in some nicely priced 30carbine ammo as well, functions fine in mine. Relatively cheap kci magazines work well too.

Yea, the 5rd limit sucks.

Petamocto
02-18-2015, 08:22 PM
Why not get a real m1?.

No interest in another 30 cal semi-auto, I already have a Browning BAR is awesome shape.

I want something in a smaller cal, like 5.56 or 9mm that's easier to plink with.

These don't have a 5 round limit, they use pistol mags so 10-12.

lone-wolf
02-18-2015, 08:30 PM
I wouldn't compare the 30carbine to anything the browning BAR would fire. If you'd do that, the 9mm would be just another 30cal semi auto as well.

Petamocto
02-18-2015, 08:37 PM
I wouldn't compare the 30carbine to anything the browning BAR would fire. If you'd do that, the 9mm would be just another 30cal semi auto as well.

Too much overlap. They're semi-auto 30 cal rifles, that's overlap I can't afford.

What I really want is a light Mini 14 or the ranch style of the Benelli MR1, but in a very bare bones model while still being better made than Norinco.

I'm not really sure if Chiappa offers that, though.

Petamocto
02-18-2015, 08:42 PM
Just found this. Watching now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxyTmgQxtHM

He says after a couple hundred rounds it's down to a 7 pound trigger.

Edit: Decision made, due to things like the rear sight and trigger I won't be getting this. I'd rather pay more to not have issues like this. This confirms my original suspicions that Chiappa is a garbage brand.

lone-wolf
02-18-2015, 09:07 PM
The ruger pc9 and marlin camp carbine if you can find them non-res, and affordable, would be similar. I can't give you an opinion on them though.
If you're not stuck on the semi-auto, the Remington 7615p is an interesting option and I enjoyed the one I had.

Petamocto
02-18-2015, 09:17 PM
Hey, thanks for those options; again, more things I had never heard of. You can tell the Ruger PC9 has done a better job to fix the stoppage issue by canting the mags forward a bit, unlike the Chiappa M1-9 that has the mag going straight up, meaning the rounds are pointing up.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/rugerPC9_left_5104-660x156.jpg

Hard to knock anything based on the 10/22, too.

As per above, though, I'd really prefer 5.56/223 if possible, but if I can find the PC9 for a good price I think I'd be a lot happier with that than the Chiappa M1-9.

lone-wolf
02-18-2015, 09:28 PM
I've been looking for a .223 like that as well. I think the mini14 or the mr1 is the only option right now without spending a lot more or choosing a bullpup chinese.
I had a su16. I wouldn't get another one, but it is a 223 plinker, something to consider.

kennymo
02-18-2015, 09:40 PM
The ruger pc9 and marlin camp carbine if you can find them non-res, and affordable, would be similar. I can't give you an opinion on them though.
If you're not stuck on the semi-auto, the Remington 7615p is an interesting option and I enjoyed the one I had.

Those Marlin camp carbines were pretty good little guns IIRC. Ruger Deerfield in 44 mag might intrigue you too Peta. Not quite as cheap a plinker though. And the guys who still have one seem to want to hoard them...

Petamocto
02-18-2015, 09:43 PM
...Ruger Deerfield in 44 mag might intrigue you too Peta...

Another awesome option I had never heard of until tonight. Man, you guys are on fire with your suggestions!

Hopefully you're wrong about the availability, though.

kennymo
02-18-2015, 09:47 PM
Another awesome option I had never heard of until tonight. Man, you guys are on fire with your suggestions!

Hopefully you're wrong about the availability, though.

They pop up here and there. It'd be nice if Ruger brought that back, along with their lever action....

Petamocto
02-18-2015, 09:51 PM
They pop up here and there. It'd be nice if Ruger brought that back, along with their lever action....

Yeah, basically a no-show on CGN. The few threads that have been started are all by chumps like me asking if anyone knows where to get one, and then other people reply just like you predicted (I have bought a few in the last couple years, and you'll never find one with me around).

Mark-II
02-18-2015, 11:03 PM
I was impressed with the Beretta CX4 Storm that I shot at the range. Very light and handy, as opposed to the JR carbine I sold a few months back. I think it would be the only 9mm carbine I'd entertain.

I do want a .30cal M1 though. I'm saving and waiting for the James river ones to appear again.

Goldidig
12-10-2017, 11:44 AM
I owned a Chiappa M-1 .22 and it was total junk AND dangerous to boot. had several firing out of battery issues with it. I was scared to try one of the 9mm ones but swallowed my pride and bought one anyway. I have yet to EVER have any issues with that little gun and it is a ton of fun to shoot. I also have several GI M-1 carbines as well, both restricted and rebarrelled to unrestricted and I definitely enjoy shooting the Chiappa as much or even more to be honest. I actually purchased another M-1 in 9mm for my son because he enjoyed mine so much he wanted one himself. Not a single issue with his either, UNTIL we ran some Promag magazines in it. JAMAMATIC. He tweeked the feed lips on the Promags and they run flawless now too. I don't have anything bad to say about these little guns especially given the cheap price.

Drache
12-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Since this two year old thread was revived I will state that there have been many instances of the Chiappa M9 being shipped without pinned magazines. Chiappa seemed to think that since they use pistol magazines they were find holding 10 rounds.

Petamocto
12-10-2017, 11:52 AM
I ended up not going with one because of all the reported stoppages.

I went with the Beretta CX9 Storm instead.

RobertMcC
12-10-2017, 12:30 PM
I wonder if I could load 30 carbine almost as cheap as 38/357?. I wanted to get a 9mm M1 but same reason, heard nothing good about the reliability.

Figure if I could load 30carbine for cheap, might be better option. I already got dies.

lone-wolf
12-10-2017, 01:49 PM
I hope to try it on the dillon next year, both 38 & 30carbine.(and 223)

RobertMcC
12-10-2017, 01:58 PM
I hope to try it on the dillon next year, both 38 & 30carbine.(and 223)

I would just need a new die plate for my pro 1000. I got the dies. 1 lb of powder is only 44$ H110 and @14grn seems to be avg load, does 500 rounds. Problem is finding a cheap source or 110 or 100grn bullets.