PDA

View Full Version : 358 Norma Magnum

JustBen
02-18-2015, 10:11 PM
Does anyone have one?

I'm looking to rebarrel a Savage from 7mm Rem Mag. This allows me to keep the same bolt face, same magazine, and probably no action work. Shilen makes a savage prefit already chambered in 358 Norma mag.

Should have more than enough powder for anything on the ground in this country at least. If the internet is to be believed, you can also use lighter 357 magnum bullets and a powder like Trailboss to create shoulder friendly plinking rounds.

I'm a slight bit worried about getting enough brass and a set of dies to get started. Anyone know of any dealers where I can get Norma brass?

Spooksar
02-18-2015, 10:46 PM
I have one in a Weatherby, you can neck up 338 Win Mag brass and use it as is. Or you can neck up 300 WM and trim to length. 338 brass may be a tad short.

kennymo
02-18-2015, 10:49 PM
I know you can use .357 pistol bullets in the Whelen over a light load. The 358 Norma is a pretty sweet cartridge, too bad it never caught on that well over here. There are a few guys shooting it, any idea if the brass can be easily formed from another cartridge?

SuperCub
04-25-2015, 11:46 AM
Brass is easy. I used 300WM brass in mine as well. The factory stamped Norma brass is hideous expensive. I didn't bother with it.

The only caution I would offer is to make sure the stock you have on your savage would work well with increased recoil. You may want a stock with a straight comb and larger butt footprint.

JustBen
05-23-2015, 07:12 AM
I'm still moving forward with this project.

Shilen barrel. Boyds stock.

I've heard good things about a rifle basix trigger - can you put an accutrigger on a pre-accutrigger rifle? That might give me another option.

Scope - probably another Zeiss!

kennymo
05-23-2015, 08:52 AM
I'm still moving forward with this project.

Shilen barrel. Boyds stock.

I've heard good things about a rifle basix trigger - can you put an accutrigger on a pre-accutrigger rifle? That might give me another option.

Scope - probably another Zeiss!

I was quite happy with the Rifle Basix I threw in my Stevens 200. Dead simple, can be adjusted quite light and crisp.