PDA

View Full Version : SW1, SW2, AM, FM Radio Frequencies for Emergency Radio - South West Coast/Lower Mainland

Trickle Charge
02-20-2015, 08:36 PM
Can anyone help me out with a list of frequencies I can dial this Grundig M400 to in case of an emergency, like for weather, news, and gov disaster updates? I find websites with the info for none for radio.

blacksmithden
02-20-2015, 09:10 PM
Depending on where you are, there will be different govenment operated weather freqs. 162.400 mHz is the lowest weather band channel IIRC. Scan up from there....they are divisable by 25's.....so 162.425mHz would be the next one up.

They give local forecasts 24hrs a day and transmit weather advisories and other disaster info. Also do a search for ARES frewuencies or ARES nets...thats the ham radio organization that does disaster communications.

Trickle Charge
02-20-2015, 10:11 PM
Hmmmm.... This little thing seems to only go up to 20.18 MHz.

blacksmithden
02-21-2015, 12:32 AM
Hmmmm.... This little thing seems to only go up to 20.18 MHz.

Ok. That's way down in the HF bands. Sorry man...you're not going to find much down that low. The only "government" thing would be the US atomic clock time stations on 5, 10, 15, and 20 mHz out of Fort Collins, Colorado. I don't know if they still do emergency stuff or not....and even if they do, I highly doubt the US government would go to the trouble of reporting anything short of nuclear war on them if it happened outside the US.

blacksmithden
02-21-2015, 12:39 AM
I've got one of these. I just leave it sitting on my windowsill in the kitchen and it's always charged (solar). The receiver in them isn't actually half bad. Yea, I've got my big ham radio stuff in the basement, but honestly, for a local emergency, I'd go to this little guy first. Shop around though. I think I got mine for $30 on sale at Radio World in Toronto a few years ago. 60 + dollars sounds a little steep for what it is.

http://www.amazon.ca/Eton-American-SolarLink-Self-Powered-Flashlight/dp/B00FJVBFK4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424501393&sr=8-1&keywords=eton+FR-360+solar

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41eqsM9BW3L.jpg