PDA

View Full Version : Taco Seasoning

Candychikita
05-28-2012, 12:22 AM
i'm too lazy to type this stuff out right now, so here's a bunch of pictures. yes, i'm enjoying all forms of media right about now.

(see actual ingredients a few posts down)

mix it all together, and yes, i put it in a clean baby food container. best small portion containers around and everyone's getting rid of them...plus you can put the lid on and shake that sucker pretty effectively to mix the spices. depending on how spicy you like your mix, add more chili powder (up to 3x is good). i make a tongue flaming batch for adults only, and this is the recipe i use for the wimpos.

beef, onion, seasoning, and lil bit of water. add as much seasoning as your tastebuds want; i generally do 3 tbsp per 2 lbs of beef but that's because the kids don't like flaming tongues. brown that stuff up. if you're using really extra extra extra lean meat, your meat is going to be not drippy disgusting in your taco and you don't have to drain the meat before adding the seasoning...but if you like your tacos drippy...that's your choice...

bahahahah, forgot who i was cooking these tacos for and grabbed the refried beans with the green chilis in it...so much for not burning their tongues off. i'd recommend these refried beans to a friend (who likes spicy food) :D :D

Bullwhip
05-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Looks awesome!

Taco salads are my favorite. Instead of a soft tortilla, take a normal bowl, layer your fixings such as meat, refried beans, cheese, fresh diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and then salsa poured over everything to top it off. Serve with the tortilla chip rounds, triangles or whatever to scoop as you eat - great finger food fun - or to supplement using a fork.

BTW, if you want your spice with a little more "body" or saucy-like ever, throw a tbsp of corn flour in the spice mix and a splash of water in with the meat. The water will help disperse the spice while eventually the corn flour will suck up the water to help make the filling stick together a little instead of being crumbly (if you don't like it crumbly). Likewise, I prefer my taco seasoning a little sweeter so add a touch of dextrose at work, although sugar would do fine.

Also if you take out the cumin you have in your recipe there, you have a great recipe for your own chili powder for chilis and such. Honestly, try it up against any retail chili powder. You not only matched those formulas, your taste is in fact light years better because you took the time to add nice additions like the crushed chilis and fresh ground pepper. Most people's taste buds get lost in making a taco seasoning: I'm impressed.

hillbillyr
05-28-2012, 07:44 PM
AWESOME!!!!

Thanks for the recipe, I bet it is better than the old elpaso stuff, though I do like it.

Now for truly superior taco's get rid of the beef and use Elk. Once you go to Elk you will never go back in Taco's, burgers etc assuming you have a source I suppose.

superbrad
05-28-2012, 07:45 PM
How can you take out the cumin?... Cumin is a mexican mainstay... Lol...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Bullwhip
05-28-2012, 07:52 PM
I agree. I suggested take the cumin out and you have a great chili powder too. Taco seasoning and chili powder are not the same thing. The cumin is the reason why.

She still has a great taco seasoning as is, IMHO.

Candychikita
05-28-2012, 08:05 PM
oooooOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo. good call on the corn flour, only i'd use corn starch - now why didn't i think of that?! making a fresh batch.

looking at what you've recommended for chili - i do basically the same thing, only i toss the spices directly into the pot and sub the garlic and onion powders for the real meal deals. no pre-made spice mixes for that. and i like to throw vodka in my chili too, just a splash. tequila makes it bitter :D :D

if you wanna send some elk my direction i'm game for that :D :D otherwise beef's gonna have to do :D :D old el paso stuff is costly too...this stuff costs peanuts to make.

hillbillyr
05-28-2012, 08:13 PM
If I lived closer to an airport I would send you 10-20 lbs, I have a large supply ;)

JustBen
05-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Elk is fantastic, but moose is number one in my book! Unfortunately I'm already out of ground moose and its going to be another 4 years until I can get a shot at another tag.

awndray
01-20-2014, 06:08 AM
Any chance you can re-post the pictures, or type the recipe? Thanks.

Candychikita
01-20-2014, 10:31 AM
Any chance you can re-post the pictures, or type the recipe? Thanks.

sorry, looks like i missed this one. repost up the recipe possibly this evening.

Satain
01-21-2014, 09:53 AM
It's Taco Tuesday!!!
What time is dinner @ ;)
I LUV TACOS!!!

Candychikita
01-21-2014, 10:24 AM
:D here you go :D

1 tbsp chili
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

you want hard or soft shells? :D :D

awndray
01-21-2014, 10:35 AM
Thanks. Making my own beats buying those packages filled with stuff I can't pronounce. :)

Satain
01-21-2014, 02:46 PM
:D here you go :D

1 tbsp chili
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

you want hard or soft shells? :D :D
Wicked!!!
I'll take either ;)

Ben
02-11-2014, 08:29 PM
Fresh and light is where its at!

Fish Tacos:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_kAdxd2jyyw/TjpHqDtfORI/AAAAAAAARLI/rJ5iUZoJezY/s1600/Fish%2BTacos-8716.jpg

Beef Tacos:
http://www.foodpeoplewant.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Tacos-de-Barbacoa.jpg

Pics taken from the net obviously, but its just to show that the boxed stuff is just plain down right horrible tasting!

The fish MUST be very lightly battered (japanese-style batter works best) and the beef slow cooked (I've just left over pulled beef and pulled pork), either smoked or braised...Fresh cut onions, cilantro, slaw, aioli sauce of your liking and a squeeze of citrus..dang now I'm hungry!

Candychikita
02-12-2014, 10:20 AM
ooo. pulled pork tacos. man, great idea!

Amanda902
02-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Guess I know what I'm having for dinner. I want tacos!!

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
02-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Best fish tacos in Calgary hands down are at Joey's Urban in the SW on 24th St just north of Anderson

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

awndray
02-12-2014, 12:05 PM
The best fish tacos I've had were in Roatan, Honduras. Man, I miss that place.

killswitch
02-27-2014, 09:10 PM
My personal favourite is canada goose tacos...

VancouverSkiBum
02-28-2014, 03:07 AM
Now all I want is tacos and my fridge is not complying.

awndray
02-28-2014, 05:11 AM
Oh, I forgot about this thread. I did end up using this recipe...with venison. :)

Shalimar
10-16-2014, 04:22 PM
i'm too lazy to type this stuff out right now, so here's a bunch of pictures. yes, i'm enjoying all forms of media right about now.

(see actual ingredients a few posts down)

mix it all together, and yes, i put it in a clean baby food container. best small portion containers around and everyone's getting rid of them...plus you can put the lid on and shake that sucker pretty effectively to mix the spices. depending on how spicy you like your mix, add more chili powder (up to 3x is good). i make a tongue flaming batch for adults only, and this is the recipe i use for the wimpos.

beef, onion, seasoning, and lil bit of water. add as much seasoning as your tastebuds want; i generally do 3 tbsp per 2 lbs of beef but that's because the kids don't like flaming tongues. brown that stuff up. if you're using really extra extra extra lean meat, your meat is going to be not drippy disgusting in your taco and you don't have to drain the meat before adding the seasoning...but if you like your tacos drippy...that's your choice...

bahahahah, forgot who i was cooking these tacos for and grabbed the refried beans with the green chilis in it...so much for not burning their tongues off. i'd recommend these refried beans to a friend (who likes spicy food) :D :D

Damn.. I'm perusing in here and several evil ideas sound delish.. including this one!.. Flaming FTW! (thanks to my having ranitidine handy now I'm "older")