PDA

View Full Version : PAL Online Renewal Photo Requirements

alaus24
02-22-2015, 07:47 AM
I like the idea of renewing on line but being a bit of a luddite as far a computers go ,I have a couple of questions about the photo. I would like to take it with my camera. So if I get it right the pixels is the dimension. Problem the size in inches is very specific but the instruction is minimum pixel, •Dimensions: Minimum 280 pixels wide x 370 pixels high, what is the maximum? And lastly how can you tell what type of file it is? Ok now you computer guys can start laughing!

awndray
02-22-2015, 08:32 AM
You mean the PAL renewal? http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/online_en-ligne/firearms-licence-permis-armes-a-feu-eng.htm

Do you know how to manipulate digital photos once you've pressed the magic button on your camera? Do you know how to transfer the file to your computer, crop it, resize it and save it?

The keyword here is minimum. Don't worry too much about resizing the picture to that exact size. They will use what they need to use. Your camera is probably set up for saving the pictures much larger than 280x370 and most likely in a JPG/JPEG format. The file type is the file extension - the three (or four) letter after the dot in the filename (i.e.: IMG_20150222_12345.JPG). Assuming you use a Windows-based computer, right-click on the file and select properties. Look at the details. You will see the dimensions in pixels. You will also see the file size in megabytes (MB). The file size will probably be lower than their maximum of 5MB, so don't worry about that.

Have a look at these links. I'm assuming you have a Windows XP or Windows 7 computer.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-edit-a-picture-in-paint-using-windows-xp.html
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-edit-a-photo-in-windows-7s-live-paint.html

Kobs
02-22-2015, 08:33 AM
Pixel number has more to do with resolution than size. If you go too low your picture will be blocky and you will not be recognisable.(you know like the old style pac-man ) you can have a picture 5 inches by 5 but if it's 200 pixel by 300, you will look like a robot.
As for what type of file it is just put your pointer on a file in your computer,a window will open and the first line on top will say item type : Jpeg file or whatever the type of file it is.

Edit: As said before the only stupid question (or laughable ones) are no ones you don't ask

JustBen
02-22-2015, 09:41 AM
I just used my ipad to take the picture. Worked fine.

Rory McCanuck
02-22-2015, 02:19 PM
I went to Wal-Mart for a portrait.
They have a template specifically for PAL pictures.
Took maybe 10 minutes, and was cheap enough.
I like K.I.S.S.

Kobs
02-23-2015, 10:14 AM
^^^ some drug stores have them too, white screen background and all, that's where i went 2 pics for like $5. Good thing too cause 3 months later i had to use the second one for my RPAL lol

Kane63
02-23-2015, 11:22 AM
I went to Wal-Mart for a portrait.
They have a template specifically for PAL pictures.
Took maybe 10 minutes, and was cheap enough.
I like K.I.S.S.

Yep, I walked into mine and asked them for a firearms licence photo. If memory serves it is a passport photo but at a reduced price.

alaus24
02-23-2015, 12:56 PM
so if I get a photo taken at Walmart then just scan it? I like the idea of the RCMP getting it instantly.

awndray
02-23-2015, 01:04 PM
I think some people didn't read your post correctly, unless of course they are saying that you can get the digital copy of the photo. In my experience, they will give you the hardcopy photo, just like they would for a passport photo. I could be wrong.

In any case, if you read my above post and don't understand a word of it, it might be wise to let someone else do it, or do it the old fashion way.

Kane63
02-23-2015, 01:04 PM
so if I get a photo taken at Walmart then just scan it? I like the idea of the RCMP getting it instantly.

I suppose you could but if you're doing it electronically I'd just follow Awndray's advice and do it yourself.

alaus24
02-24-2015, 12:36 PM
Went to Wal-Mart, $24.99 for 2 photos! Still have 3 months, will have a crack at paint. Thanks for the input I'm going to learn something!
I am having trouble in my mind about the physical size 45mm x 57mm. In paint there is cropping feature with a ruler. I've got that down . If I understand the posts from above if...

a/the file is correct type JPEG
b/ the size of file is under 5mb
c/ the pixel count is above the minimum

they will electronically have all the data needed to put my picture on the new card. And my confusion about mm's is only related to physical photos submitted by mail..

Chili
02-24-2015, 02:23 PM
I did my Father In Laws renewal online for him, simply snapped a pic in decent lighting to avoid shadows with our digital camera making sure the majority of the photo was as instructed a head/shoulders shot. Checked to make sure file size didn't exceed 5 megs and sent it in. Was accepted and he had his card in less than 14 days. Any digital camera from this decade will be saving the files far in excess of the minimum resolution requirements.

alaus24
02-24-2015, 03:27 PM
Thanks to all , I did it digitally and actually got the 3-4 ratio as well! (Put up a grid in cropping and used a ruler! OLD SCHOOL ;D) 2 and a half months early , I should be good to go :bananna:

Steveo9mm
02-24-2015, 04:24 PM
Im old fasioned. I like pen and paper. I cant even count how many emails get lost in cyberspace at work.

awndray
02-25-2015, 06:05 AM
Obviously. They're lost :p