PDA

View Full Version : parts from the US

alaus24
02-25-2015, 04:55 PM
I was looking for parts (bolt and extractors)for an old .22 from a US supplier. It says they cant ship(prohibited) outside the US. Does that mean that it is unlawful if I was to send it to a post office box and bring it across the border? Id declare it and all. They are closed now so that's why I'm posting. thanks

Zinilin
02-25-2015, 05:03 PM
You can try Brownells (www.brownells.com) for the part, they will ship to Canada after you complete the End User Forms and if the order is under $US 500.00.
Ship US post.

50 B.M.G.
02-25-2015, 05:45 PM
I was looking for parts (bolt and extractors)for an old .22 from a US supplier. It says they cant ship(prohibited) outside the US. Does that mean that it is unlawful if I was to send it to a post office box and bring it across the border? Id declare it and all. They are closed now so that's why I'm posting. thanks

ITAR dictates that these are "critical gun parts" meaning an export license is requires to legally take them out of the USA.
ONLY a US based export agency can apply for and receive a US export license. Typically there is a cost of between $200.00 and $500.00 for doing this paperwork shuffle.

Declaring it on the Canadian side of the border is all well and fine as CBSA really does not care. HOWEVER the US agencies like Homeland Security and BPA will care! You stand a chance of vehicle seizure, significant fines and prohibition from entering the USA again.

Unless the rifle has significant value, either monetary or sentimental, probably not worth the hassle.
The parts CAN be imported legally, just a bit of paper and expense involved.

Canada_Phil
02-25-2015, 05:49 PM
I would say better NOT even try it unless you are willing to risk potentially having your passport flagged so that every single time you attempt to cross the border in future you will be put through a ringer!

I am pretty sure that anything that falls into the category of barrel, receiver, bolt, piston, extractor, & magazine falls under ITAR (think thats right?) and is prohibited under US law without an EXPORT PERMIT from the authorized US seller... Which would obviously NOT be the case in your scenario.

At best, I think CBSA would only let you get away with simple universal type things like slings, rail adapters, surplus pouches, etc. and ONLY if the total value is under $100.

Be careful... Seriously!

Zinilin
02-25-2015, 06:10 PM
Available Outside USA Bolt AR Group
http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=bolt+AR+group&ksubmit=y&avs|Special-Filters_1=Available+Outside+USA

Check Brownells.

TheHydrant
02-25-2015, 07:01 PM

sounds like you are thinking of using something like www.myusaddress.ca?
it does work for some things, like sight tools, slings, certain accessories, and I have used it for gun related orders from the US where the dealer said they wouldn't ship North.
However, it says right on their website that gun related items are not permitted and that they do open the box and inspect for prohibited items. I believe your item wouldn't be permitted if you tried to declare it without the proper paperwork.

FALover
02-25-2015, 08:09 PM
At best, I think CBSA would only let you get away with simple universal type things like slings, rail adapters, surplus pouches, etc. and ONLY if the total value is under $100.

Be careful... Seriously!

CBSA only worries if the items are prohibited in Canada. Other than that, they are tax collectors. Dollar amount is not important as long as you declare the fair value or can produce a receipt for the purchase. The issues are with the American side of the border.

alaus24
02-25-2015, 10:39 PM
Its for my dads old springfield semiauto .22. They call them "Gill Guns" Figures the US feds think a $35 bolt for a 60 yr old rimfire is terrorist related! Numrich is the only place I have seen with them.

lone-wolf
02-25-2015, 10:43 PM
Its for my dads old springfield semiauto .22. They call them "Gill Guns" Figures the US feds think a $35 bolt for a 60 yr old rimfire is terrorist related! Numrich is the only place I have seen with them.

Numrich can't do a thing for you?
If you're on CGN, someone was selling lots of different bolts and parts for old .22s, maybe you can find one there.

superbad
02-26-2015, 02:29 AM
Get import permit takes a day and export permit from state department, end user agreement from brownells and order away. Its not hard if you have a fax machine or live close to a staples.

Gaidheal
02-26-2015, 05:35 AM
Contact http://www.aztecharmory.ca/ (They are supporters here!) and see if they can help out. They have worked with me to source parts for a Galil SAR so your monster should be super easy.

It will cost a few bucks (in my case super reasonable offer) but you will probably get your stuff and move forward.

Zinilin
02-26-2015, 08:55 AM
Get import permit takes a day and export permit from state department, end user agreement from brownells and order away. Its not hard if you have a fax machine or live close to a staples.

Brownells has been using secure digital signature pdf's since January. No paper, no fax. They send you the form as an email attachment, you complete and return. It only adds 2 days to the order (unless it is your first order, in which case is can take a week or so..).