PDA

View Full Version : Rifle stamped 762

greywolf67nt
03-01-2015, 02:01 PM
A friend of mine brought me his rifle to ask what caliber it is.
No stamp on the barrel but running along the front of the chamber it is just stamped 762 and on the side of the receiver is Mod.98. The barrel isn't tapered it narrows in steps about every 1/3 of the length.
I have used the old Google box and think it is a Mauser in 7.62 NATO. Anyone know anything about these?
If it is some say you can use .308 Winchester in it? I have read that can be dangerous depending on head space.
Yes I know pictures would help but all I have is the crappy camera on my phone and nothing shows up.

Rory McCanuck
03-01-2015, 02:32 PM
There were several 7.62 Mauser conversions.
I think Spain, Chile, Argentina and Israel all made or used them.

Tonsper
03-02-2015, 12:25 AM
And Norway.

blacksmithden
03-02-2015, 01:32 AM
I'm not saying this is safe...some will say I'm crazy.....but this is what I would do.

Get a 308 round and drop it in there. Does it look like it fits ? No rattling around ? Carry on.

Close the bolt and see if it feels normal. Does it ? Yes ? Carry on.

Give the gun a shake and listen for rattling. Does it ? No ? Carry on.

Open the bolt and see if the cartridge comes out smoothly with the extractor. Does it ? Yes ? Carry on.

Put the round back in and hold the rifle off to the side of you and fire it without any part of your body behind the bolt. Did it fire ok..nothing weird happened ? No unusual sound ? All ok ? Carry on.

Extract the brass. Did it come out easy ? Yes..carry on.

Examine the brass very carefully, looking for any signs of bulging/cracking/head separation. All ok ? Carry on.

Fire another 10 rounds this way. Nothing unusual ? No ? Carry on.

Load it up and fire a few at a target and see if it groups.....carry on.

I've fired quite a few rounds of 30-30 Winchester in a Lee Enfield chambered in 303 British just to show people it can be done without disastrous results. The brass it trashed afterward...sometimes the side of the case splits...but I'm still here. Like I said...some people think I'm crazy...but I'm still here with all my pieces....and no, I don't do these experiments when there's a crowd of people standing around the range.

762shooter
03-03-2015, 11:54 PM
I think I would start with a 30-06 because it is also "762" calibre but longer than a .308. I the bolt stops half an inch short of closing then yes, switch the testing to .308.

bat119
03-04-2015, 09:15 PM
Taking a chamber cast with cerrosafe would be best

I have used candle wax with good results
Spray the chamber with wd-40 plug the bore with a patch in front of the chamber then fill the chamber with melted candlewax. after it hardens gently tap out the hardened wax with a cleaning rod from the muzzle. You will be able to see what the cartridge looks like.

Cranky1
03-04-2015, 10:24 PM
That sounds like the Israel conversion of the 98 Mauser. 308 win/7.62 Nato. Cheers

762shooter
03-05-2015, 12:25 PM
That sounds like the Israel conversion of the 98 Mauser. 308 win/7.62 Nato. Cheers

Israeli conversions had the top surface of the receiver ring ground smooth and "762" was stamped in large numbers on the top of the receiver. OP states 762 is in small numbers on the side of the barrel.

greywolf67nt
03-05-2015, 09:38 PM
Israeli conversions had the top surface of the receiver ring ground smooth and "762" was stamped in large numbers on the top of the receiver. OP states 762 is in small numbers on the side of the barrel.

Just looked at my original post and the way I wrote it it looks like 762 is stamped on the side but it is in fact stamped in large numbers on the top of the receiver.
I also found a little six pointed star stamped on the side so being an Israeli conversion would make sense.

kennymo
03-05-2015, 11:46 PM
The Star of David would probably help nail it down, lol

greywolf67nt
03-06-2015, 12:44 AM
I think I will try what blacksmithden suggests.
Anyone wanna send me some 308?