CivilAdvantage
03-06-2015, 10:04 PM
http://youtu.be/6eJ3-WvocIQ

lone-wolf
03-06-2015, 10:25 PM
Sending a couple PEI ones in on Monday.

RangeBob
03-06-2015, 10:45 PM
[non sequitor. I resisted as long as I could.] Where did you get that shirt?

Deuce-deuce
03-06-2015, 11:13 PM
Don cherry.

The puca shell necklace is also a nice touch.

blacksmithden
03-06-2015, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the reminder about the petitions Rod. Get em in guys.

Petamocto
03-06-2015, 11:45 PM
Great reminder to everyone, Rod. I sent mine off today with the people from my work who were interested, and one is still posted for a few more days just in case.

I think the entire community (the ones who are active in caring, anyway) are all watching this carefully for exactly the reasons you said.

Foxer
03-07-2015, 02:57 AM
[non sequitor. I resisted as long as I could.] Where did you get that shirt?

Ever since people pointed out his 'eclectic' shirt tenancies i've had a hard time not noticing it :) I think it's awesome :)

I wasn't going to leave a comment on the channel, but seeing as we started a thread on it I'll just say this - i don't believe that this is an indication of whether or not we 'can' come together as a community, nor do I feel that whatever response comes out of Ottawa is necessarily a result of how they view gun owners or the citizens in general.

Leadership plays a huge role in the success or failure of any such venture, and I feel it was exceptionally poor from the start. It's arguable that Rod did more than the organization backing it to really promote it. That's a bad sign. So - i think not so much a test of whether we can come together as a community. We can. I've seen it. We all have in the recent past with the efforts involving the swiss arms and cz's.

Nor do I think the gov'ts response is much of an indication. These things are ONLY useful as a rule when done in conjuction with the appropriate political pressuring and discussions needed to make use of such a petition. The gov't gets LOTS of petitions. Given the current state of the sponsoring org I have very grave doubts that they're sitting down with the right people and making sure this will be given the appropriate light and standing. Further, I'd guess that those people who ARE talking to them are likely more interested right now in distancing themsevles from the activities of the sponsor org rather than tie themselves closer.

I do agree tho that it should be completed. People came this far - it is very important to finish a project like this regardless of anything else. And you just never know - sometimes you get that golden bb that manages to hit home and do some real damage even if the odds are against it.

oh - and yes, I also noticed the puka shells. :)

Seriously - when are we going to start talking about the REAL issue here: Rod gets more done with his regular videos that most, and I note that shortly after posting he had more views than even ezra's new 'the rebel' videos in the same time frame. So - when do we start crowdfunding to buy a little more of his time to make more of this stuff instead of just hoping he'll get around to it when he's not trying to earn a living?

Doug_M
03-07-2015, 06:13 AM
Seriously - when are we going to start talking about the REAL issue here: Rod gets more done with his regular videos that most, and I note that shortly after posting he had more views than even ezra's new 'the rebel' videos in the same time frame. So - when do we start crowdfunding to buy a little more of his time to make more of this stuff instead of just hoping he'll get around to it when he's not trying to earn a living?

Anyone follow/donate to TheRebel.media funding campaign? They've done incredibly well. Would a similar campaign for Rod be beneficial? Serious question, I mean I don't really know. Perhaps Rod has everything he needs to keep producing these. Or maybe he needs some commercial software or some lamp or what not. Point is, I've got $35 that isn't going to my NFA renewal anymore...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CivilAdvantage
03-07-2015, 09:22 AM
I have to tell you all how much I appreciate your support. Anyway, I don't think the petition will change much but follow through is critical at this point. With everything else that's going on we need to complete at least something together. If there's one thing I can't stand it's bitching with no action. So it's not much to ask our fellow LAGO's to sign and send. Maybe it's a great exercise and we do another one in a year or two when we need it. If nothing, we've learned how not to do it.

The next challenge is finding a MP to present it, apparently the NFA has lost any hope of a MP bringing it forward. Maybe my guy can do it...but one challenge at a time.

speedloader
03-07-2015, 09:47 AM
thanks Rod , for the info as always

I have a bunch to send in and was woundering what was going on
great to hear its going ahead!

Foxer
03-07-2015, 11:17 AM
Anyone follow/donate to TheRebel.media funding campaign? They've done incredibly well. Would a similar campaign for Rod be beneficial? Serious question, I mean I don't really know. Perhaps Rod has everything he needs to keep producing these. Or maybe he needs some commercial software or some lamp or what not. Point is, I've got $35 that isn't going to my NFA renewal anymore...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is where i was going. I doubt Rod needs any more camera gear or the like, but I do know how much time it takes to make even those simple videos to the level of quality they are. Not just editing (which is actually pretty easy for what he's doing for the most part) but just WRITING what you're going to say so that it's professional, concise but still informative is a long process, finding the time to shoot the damn things is hard, etc. Currently, the many hours involved in producing the stuff he's doing is paid for by Rod. I have no idea what his shirt budget is but that's got to be up there too :) (i actually love the shirt thing. Canadians - we are a weird bunch. )

And that's really nice and all - but if he's paying for it out of his own pocket there's only so much he can do before his paying business suffers, so we get less of this stuff unless he's willing to let his family and business suffer. Which isn't exactly fair.

I'm thinking we could crowdfund enough to allow him to justify making a commitment to making regular videos and taking the time to put out some really quality stuff on a regular and consistant basis. He could still put out ADDITIONAL stuff on his own free time, but now we'd be creating a 'media channel' where gun owners could get used to tuning in once a week for 10 months of the year to get informed, stay informed and enjoy the benefits of what he brings to the table.

So lets say he cuts us a hell of a deal and says it only costs 200 bucks an episode to pay for all the time to come up with content, do the research, write it, film it and put it up. If we were to raise 8 grand in the community over the course of a year, that'd be 40 episodes right there. Basically an entire season of "Rod tv" with a few breaks for vacations and such. Not including any of the vids he does on his own for reviews of guns and such.

With that kind of content - you actually get people subscribing and tuning in regular to watch and that means more and more education amongst firearms owners.

AND - it means that at least he can justify the effort knowing that he's getting SOME species of compensation and his family isn't going hungry to support his good work. Lets face it - he won't be getting rich from it and it'll probably be the LEAST profitable part of what he does, but at least it's something. And our community would enjoy a significant benefit from education and a non-bias intelligent review of our situation. It could include interviews with Solomon, or explaining how a bill gets thru parliament, or making people aware of projects LIKE the current petition and such. I'm sure there'd be no shortage of suggestions from gun owners about subjects they'd like to know about as well. Not to mention the obvious economic stimulus for the local textile merchants.

Obviously I'm just throwing numbers around, but once it's fine tuned I'd personally be willing to commit right here and now to dropping the first 200 bucks into the kitty. There - one episode paid for, 39 to go :) We have elections coming up, we've got c-42 working its way thru the system, we've got all kinds of things that are worth talking about. For a lousy 8 grand and a little promotion amongst gun owners we could have some real information and education for the firearms community in Canada AND eventually a permanent library that newbies could look at in years to come - some of that information never changes.

I think we should be talking about this. It's 'shovel ready' and we've spent millions on our gun orgs - a few grand a year to promote something like this should be a no brainer.

CivilAdvantage
03-08-2015, 10:10 AM
This is an interesting thread. I appreciate the faith you all put in me. My issue is time. I've already invested in everything I use for production, except some nicer lavaliere mics, I could use those. Currently, and for the last 4 years I do business development work (unrelated) full time, 5 days a week, teach the CFSC both days every second weekend, I'm the VP at the Abbotsford fish & Game Club (2 meetings per month plus), operate business of Civil Advantage, make videos and operate the YouTube Channel and be a father and husband when I can. I do the best at the last two things thankfully because I work from home. I'm hoping that some other business interests I'm involved in will pan out so that I'll be able to move off the business development work in the next year or so. Then I'd be able to at least double what I do for the firearms community. Time will tell.

I would consider supporting Petamocto's efforts. I have committed to help him with some things so that would be one way to get a little more production of these important media pieces. And when you support him- you're building a team, not just me. Concerning this conversation, I'm truly grateful for all your respect and support in what I'm doing. I wish I could do more but who knows what the immediate future holds.

lone-wolf
03-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Deadline has been pushed back to April 30th.

CivilAdvantage
03-08-2015, 11:53 AM
Deadline has been pushed back to April 30th.

They have no MP that will present it, that's one of the reasons why it's pushed back.

lone-wolf
03-08-2015, 12:20 PM
They have no MP that will present it, that's one of the reasons why it's pushed back.

Was there one willing prior?

Foxer
03-08-2015, 12:33 PM

i'm not entirely shocked. Right at the moment, few will want to be associated with the NFA, not just because of the infighting per se but how can you know what either 'side' is going to say in public or what trouble they'll drag you into the middle of?

And it's not like they had a great relationship with the gov't in the first place - even before this it would have been sticking your neck out a little to back the NFA given their rather frosty relationship with the higher ups.

Again, in the end we see how campaigns that are designed to needlessly antagonize the gov't and destroy relations with the actual lawmakers like the 'no compromise' nonsense just backfire and wind up costing us opportunity.