PDA

View Full Version : Removing chrome from rifle parts.

FALover
03-09-2015, 08:29 PM
I have a few gun parts that need to have some 'decorative' chrome plating removed. What is the simplest way to do this? Chemicals? Abrasives?

blacksmithden
03-09-2015, 10:17 PM
Yeeeesh. You're about to find out that chromium and nickle (chrome) make some pretty hard stuff. It was laid on there with and electrolysis process. If it's even possible to get it off there somewhat cleanly without taking half of the underlying metal with it....well....the theory would be to reverse the polarity on the electrodes....and I sure am glad it isn't me. :)

short1
03-09-2015, 10:51 PM
---

mtlgun
03-10-2015, 08:06 AM
If it was done well in a quality shop then ya, it's not going to come off easy. It then depends on what parts and what gun we're talking about. If it's generic stuff you could take it to a plating shop. If it's obvious they're gun parts you'd have to blast it off.

The alternate is just to scuff it with aluminum oxide and paint over it with KG or Arma. That's probably the lesser of the evils.

FALover
03-10-2015, 09:48 AM
I have a small abrasive cabinet that would work. Just looking for the lazy way out.

Kane63
03-10-2015, 10:14 AM
I have a small abrasive cabinet that would work. Just looking for the lazy way out.

Unless the chrome is already flaking off or is very worn you'll be there forever. I've tried removing chrome before. Easiest way was to scuff it up enough so that paint would stick to it ;D