PDA

View Full Version : Hunters who killed rare white moose say they made a mistake

Drache
03-10-2015, 12:07 AM
Three hunters who killed a rare albino moose, sparking outrage in aboriginal communities and online, say they made a mistake.

They didn’t realize the animal is a sacred symbol to the Mi’kmaq people and now efforts are being made to right the wrong.

“The hunters are saying ‘we wouldn’t have shot the moose if we had known it meant that much,’” says Jim Hnatiuks, who owns a hunting and taxidermy store in Lantz, N.S.

The hunters brought the moose to his store for mounting following a hunting trip in the Cape Breton Highlands.

Hnatiuks says the hunters weren’t aware of the implications of killing the rare moose - a Spirit Moose to the Mi'kmaq people.

“They thought they had a successful moose hunt. It was odd that they shot a white moose, but to find out wow, there’s a lot more behind it,” he says.

It is not illegal to shoot a white moose, so long as it is during hunting season and the hunter is licensed to do so, but the Mi'kmaq say it breaks an unwritten rule, a cultural belief they have held for generations.

After photos of the hunters posing with the moose surfaced on social media, First Nations communities were quick to voice their outrage.

Now, Hnatiuks is speaking on behalf of the hunters who, through him, have taken steps to ensure the moose is disposed of respectfully. They are returning the hide so the Mi’kmaq can perform a sacred ceremony.

“We’ve received full cooperation from the hunters and from Hnatiuks as well and, during the ceremonies next week, they’re actually willing to participate,” says Chief Bob Gloade of the Millbrook First Nation.

“It shows a willingness to cooperate and an ability to show respect to not only the Mi’kmaq people but also to the culture and history.”

Gloade says the sacred animals are only protected by tradition but he is hoping for legislation to protect spirit animals from being hunted.

“To recognize the importance and significance to the Mi’kmaq people is the next step moving forward and it’s a way of building better relationships between the aboriginal and non-aboriginal community.”

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/mobile/hunters-who-killed-rare-white-moose-say-they-made-a-mistake-1.1489240

Wow....

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/10/09/article-2450896-18A3D03000000578-207_634x413.jpg

Curly1
03-10-2015, 12:21 AM
Old news.

Forbes/Hutton
03-10-2015, 12:48 AM
Gloade says the sacred animals are only protected by tradition but he is hoping for legislation to protect spirit animals from being hunted.

Right. If we let one cult dictate which animals can be killed we screwed, because, being Canada they all would get a say. No more beef as cows are "spirit animals" to Hindus. No more hunting as the kill wouldn't be Kosher, or Halal.

Call-sign_ENIGMA
03-10-2015, 02:11 AM
I'm on the fence with this one. I agree with Forbes/Hutton but at the same time I want to weep for this beautiful animal.

scradley17
03-10-2015, 05:01 AM
Waw never herd of this till now what a remarkable animal

Zedbra
03-10-2015, 07:35 AM

Right. If we let one cult dictate which animals can be killed we screwed, because, being Canada they all would get a say. No more beef as cows are "spirit animals" to Hindus. No more hunting as the kill wouldn't be Kosher, or Halal.

Sadly, I can see the logic in this illogic.

Camo tung
03-10-2015, 09:47 AM
I've got a white hide so I guess I'm sacred too. You all may worship me by placing ammo in the back of my truck at Timmies.

BrotherRockeye
03-10-2015, 09:48 AM
really?

This happens in nature everywhere. People too. It's a double recessive gene surfacing not a miracle...afaik

while I wouldn't likely have shot it myself I think the fella who did should have it mounted and keep it.

It would be a cold day before I'd give up my moose to a bunch of whiners without the sense to pray to something that can't be shot and eaten.

If it really was some spiritual being, do you think it would allow itself to be shot by some boob with a rifle...like a common moose with a white coat?

Zinilin
03-10-2015, 09:51 AM
They are rare because this genetic defect does not enhance reproductive competition.
I bet snow blindness is a major issue.

lone-wolf
03-10-2015, 10:35 AM
At least they didn't draw the prophet mohammad on the white hide.

A moose is a moose.

RobSmith
03-10-2015, 10:58 AM
Just another albino, no different than dozens, possibly hundreds of critters with a similar condition running around the bush. The meat is just as good and it makes one hellova mount too !

CaperJim
03-10-2015, 11:37 AM
Us Capers have the best moose

Curly1
03-10-2015, 12:17 PM
Us Capers have the best moose

Not even close, I have hunted/seen Moose in many places better than CB.

The CB incident was a couple of years ago and there were threats against the hunters by the FN trying to get the moose back from the hunter.

The Nipigon area of ON has a population of white moose as well. I recall a truck hitting and killing one 10 or 15 years ago, that cause quite a stir.

bettercallsaul
03-10-2015, 01:59 PM
really?

This happens in nature everywhere. People too. It's a double recessive gene surfacing not a miracle...afaik

while I wouldn't likely have shot it myself I think the fella who did should have it mounted and keep it.

It would be a cold day before I'd give up my moose to a bunch of whiners without the sense to pray to something that can't be shot and eaten.

If it really was some spiritual being, do you think it would allow itself to be shot by some boob with a rifle...like a common moose with a white coat?

Science means absolutely nothing to people who will deny their child chemotherapy and instead opt for "naturalistic" medicine that inevitably lets their kid die of treatable cancer. All out of a distrust of the white man.

Forbes/Hutton
03-10-2015, 03:03 PM
What's so "spirit" about a "spirit animal" anyways? What does it do? How does it help? Does stepping in it's crap make boots waterproof? Does rubbing it's fur cure cancer? We know it certainly doesn't lead the mortals to the employment center.

If we have to now concern ourselves with protecting spirits (do they go on the endangered list? can you kill a spirit?) what about haunted houses?

Zinilin
03-10-2015, 04:12 PM
What's so "spirit" about a "spirit animal" anyways?
Duh!
Ever heard of wineskins, eh. Phfff. What do you think they are made of?

If we have to now concern ourselves with protecting spirits
You can't bring rum to the game in a paper bag.

BrotherRockeye
03-10-2015, 05:02 PM
Duh!
Ever heard of wineskins, eh. Phfff. What do you think they are made of?

duh...wines!

You can't bring rum to the game in a paper bag.

that's what yer belly is for ;D

oilman28
03-10-2015, 05:23 PM
I would have just ate it and mounted it in my living room, too bad if I offend them.

FlyingHigh
03-10-2015, 05:28 PM
After seeing the way the indians treat the salmon on the Fraser River and the way they hunt in these parts; I not only would have shot the moose, I would have had had a full shoulder mount done, refused to acknowledge any reverence the indians had for it, and then told the indians to piss up a rope. It was a fair and legal kill. More than I can say for the way i've seen indians hunt and fish where I'm from. People and stewards of the land...spirit animals...ya, my left butt cheek.

Shakeyjake
03-10-2015, 06:19 PM
After seeing the way the indians treat the salmon on the Fraser River and the way they hunt in these parts; I not only would have shot the moose, I would have had had a full shoulder mount done, refused to acknowledge any reverence the indians had for it, and then told the indians to piss up a rope. It was a fair and legal kill. More than I can say for the way i've seen indians hunt and fish where I'm from. People and stewards of the land...spirit animals...ya, my left butt cheek.

It's no different here. Well soon be able to count the moose population in eastern Mb. with 2 hands.

lone-wolf
03-10-2015, 07:41 PM
More than I can say for the way i've seen indians hunt and fish where I'm from. People and stewards of the land...spirit animals...ya, my left butt cheek.

Lol, I'm reminded of a story about native hunters in CB having trucks specially set up with a tower in the bed, so they could drive around and the guy in the back could get a good shot down at the moose in the ditches.
Gotta love those traditional hunting methods.

blacksmithden
03-10-2015, 11:28 PM
How do you honor the white moose ?

With a little seasoning salt rub before I put it on the BBQ.

White Bullwinkle...brown Bullwinkle...all tastes the same...and the taste is GOOD. :)

And don't get me started on native hunters and unwritten rules....I'd have to ban myself at least 3 times for that rant.

SpenceyHR
03-11-2015, 07:22 AM
To go hunting we already have to adhere to the firearms act and provincial hunting regulations. Now a hunter has to familiarize himself/herself with local aboriginal customs?

Haywire1
03-12-2015, 12:53 PM
Screw that. Am I following the hunting and firearms regulations? Yes. Does a white moose/deer/elk etc taste the same as a brown one? Yes. If its legal to shoot then I am shooting and eating it. I dont give a flying fig about what a stoneage tribe thought about it, or who wants to use it today to garner false sympathy for the woe is me factor. If it was so sacred, then as has been stated before, it shouldnt have been dumb enough to be where I could shoot it. I mean what is sacred about particular genetic combination? Does it somehow taste more like bacon?

The only thing I would do different with a white/albino animal is pay the coin to get it mounted.

kennymo
03-12-2015, 01:53 PM
Bacon flavoured moose? Go on.....

Forbes/Hutton
03-12-2015, 02:59 PM
So most moose are good to shoot, as per the natives, but not the white ones? Seems really racist...

Haywire1
03-12-2015, 03:32 PM
The fact Muslims dont like pork, and Hindus venerate cattle doesnt stop me from eating a bacon cheeseburger, so the chances of really caring about a wierd genetic quality keeping me from hunting a white animal, and making feeling bad afterwards is pretty slim.

Forbes/Hutton
03-12-2015, 03:35 PM
The fact Muslims dont like pork, and Hindus venerate cattle doesnt stop me from eating a bacon cheeseburger, so the chances of really caring about a wierd genetic quality keeping me from hunting a white animal, and making feeling bad afterwards is pretty slim.

The burning question remains, with a white furred animal do you stay with red wine or can you go with a white wine, based on the fur alone?

Haywire1
03-12-2015, 03:39 PM
Moonshine goes with everything

TPK
03-12-2015, 04:26 PM
To go hunting we already have to adhere to the firearms act and provincial hunting regulations. Now a hunter has to familiarize himself/herself with local aboriginal customs?

We already have restrictions based on genetics, just look at the "Spirit Bear", it's about as genetically "special" as a human having red hair .... we don't need any more of this crap! As pointed out, it is crap and we shouldn't compromise. You don't want to hunt it, then don't but if I want to, and it's legal for me to do so, then I'm going to.

My experience is that FN's only take away hunting opportunity, they NEVER give it back. I've seen it far too many times. Let's change this season or antler configuration or ...(add any of the many things that have been done) until the population re-bounds, then that restriction will come off. Anyone know of anytime the restrictions have come off when the population rebounds or when what ever the concern was is no longer present? Anyone? ..anyone? ... Bueller?

blacksmithden
03-12-2015, 08:07 PM
Bacon flavoured moose? Go on.....

Wait...hold on....what ??? Back up a second....I need more info !!!!!!

BrotherRockeye
03-12-2015, 08:57 PM
Wait...hold on....what ??? Back up a second....I need more info !!!!!!

I think some hybrid experimentation is in order...do we call em Migs or Poose? :p

kennymo
03-12-2015, 09:12 PM
I think some hybrid experimentation is in order...do we call em Migs or Poose? :p

I think this is going to be more of an engineering problem than a genetics problem.....like how do we get the moose to bend low enough? Or get the pig high enough? Depending on just how we're going to go about this.....

And my vote is for poose. Mig sounds too Russian....

Edenchef
03-12-2015, 11:16 PM
How about one of those trenches they use to service vehicles? Should get the moose down low enough. Puts a whole new spin on the term "service trench".

Cheers!

BrotherRockeye
03-12-2015, 11:58 PM
friggin city boys...you use square bales to get the right heig... oops... :red:

Waynetheman
03-13-2015, 12:21 PM
I think this is going to be more of an engineering problem than a genetics problem.....like how do we get the moose to bend low enough? Or get the pig high enough? Depending on just how we're going to go about this.....

And my vote is for poose. Mig sounds too Russian....

http://youtu.be/Fitxz7jmhaY

The answer is alcohol and issac hayes skip to 0:44

kennymo
03-13-2015, 06:59 PM
http://youtu.be/Fitxz7jmhaY

The answer is alcohol and issac hayes skip to 0:44

Lol, forgot all about that one! Only trouble is moose are ornery drunks....

my72jeep
03-20-2015, 04:30 PM
Knew what he was shooting didn't care.

Camo tung
03-20-2015, 05:24 PM
How about one of those trenches they use to service vehicles? Should get the moose down low enough. Puts a whole new spin on the term "service trench".

Cheers!

Probably easier than that pig learning to use rubber boots like the Scottish sheep farmers.

Clinteastwoody
03-21-2015, 02:50 AM

Amen! The hunters should be proud of their kill, dont appologize to nobody or admit any guilt......with the freedoms that culture has on hunting regulations they dont deserve to tell the rest whats honorable. Last time I checked I have less freedom to hunt than they do and now they want to impose more so on that right hmmm...so who is the oppressor now?

kennymo
03-21-2015, 06:59 AM
Probably easier than that pig learning to use rubber boots like the Scottish sheep farmers.

You're thinking goat farmer. A sheep farmer could get away with sewing a couple strips of Velcro to the palm of his gloves....

Swampdonkey
03-21-2015, 10:35 AM
Amen! The hunters should be proud of their kill, dont appologize to nobody or admit any guilt......with the freedoms that culture has on hunting regulations they dont deserve to tell the rest whats honorable. Last time I checked I have less freedom to hunt than they do and now they want to impose more so on that right hmmm...so who is the oppressor now?

Last time you had a job you paid income tax too. How indians still think of themselves as victims doesn't make sense.

91rss
03-25-2015, 07:34 AM
nothing said oddly about the other albino moose the natives shot the next week,,,,,,,,,,,,