PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know how to lockpick?

Call-sign_ENIGMA
03-10-2015, 02:35 AM
I've been practicing for awhile. I've gotten pretty good at it.

kennymo
03-10-2015, 06:03 AM
http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w534/kennymo81/Mobile%20Uploads/49EA5B12-DF04-4726-BD65-31C02454DBA0_zps7pnvsmdp.jpg (http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/kennymo81/media/Mobile%20Uploads/49EA5B12-DF04-4726-BD65-31C02454DBA0_zps7pnvsmdp.jpg.html)

I'm getting good too. Down to only two or three swings. ;)

Kane63
03-10-2015, 06:44 AM
I'm getting good too. Down to only two or three swings. ;)

I'm down to one or two pulls :p

http://www.ablesales.com.au/images/detailed/1/EHS-350C.jpg

Back on topic lol. I've dabbled a bit with lockpicking but apart from handcuffs, cheaper padlocks, or door locks I don't think there's much you can pick without serious tools or training. Though not as cool or ninja-like, most of the time it's easier to just circumvent or destroy the lock.

jwirecom109
03-10-2015, 06:50 AM
http://www.kingarmory.com/assets/images/KAgraphics374.jpg

kennymo
03-10-2015, 07:30 AM
I'm down to one or two pulls :p

http://www.ablesales.com.au/images/detailed/1/EHS-350C.jpg

Back on topic lol. I've dabbled a bit with lockpicking but apart from handcuffs, cheaper padlocks, or door locks I don't think there's much you can pick without serious tools or training. Though not as cool or ninja-like, most of the time it's easier to just circumvent or destroy the lock.

We've had to get into a number of job boxes at work where someone has either lost the keys or (even worse) locked them inside. A cordless drill with a 1/2" bit is cheaper than a locksmith. If it's on a chain or otherwise exposed, grab the grinder. Masterlock isn't quite as tough as they'd like you to believe.

Kane63
03-10-2015, 07:35 AM
Masterlock isn't quite as tough as they'd like you to believe.

Exactly. They're just difficult to pick, not difficult to break 'em.

Tactical72
03-10-2015, 08:41 AM
Possession of break-in instrument
351. (1) Every one who, without lawful excuse, the proof of which lies on them, has in their possession any instrument suitable for the purpose of breaking into any place, motor vehicle, vault or safe under circumstances that give rise to a reasonable inference that the instrument has been used or is or was intended to be used for such a purpose,

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years; or
(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtlgun
03-10-2015, 10:34 AM
I was a locksmith for 10 years. I was ok at picking but not great. It's actually a small part of the job. The guys on youtube who do it for a hobby are probably better than most smiths.

Truth be told I probably opened just as many doors with an old video store card as I did with my pics. It was amusing to pop a door in 15 seconds and then hand the customer a bill for $75 for the service call. The justification was that they could have called someone else who would have probably trashed the lock and ended up charging $150.

lone-wolf
03-10-2015, 10:52 AM
http://www.zaktool.com/products/ZT40.jpg

blacksmithden
03-10-2015, 12:20 PM
Im on my phone.....imagine I just posted a picture of an 6 lb splitting axe and a size 13 work boot :)

kennymo
03-10-2015, 12:48 PM
Im on my phone.....imagine I just posted a picture of an 6 lb splitting axe and a size 13 work boot :)

That's bizarre, I seem to have both of those handy at the moment....

BrotherRockeye
03-10-2015, 02:40 PM
phone the RCMP and report your basement flooded...

TheHydrant
03-10-2015, 02:45 PM
if Dying Light has taught me anything, it's that lockpicking is a lot harder to do with a zombie trying to bite you

Forbes/Hutton
03-10-2015, 02:54 PM
"Boy, get a rock".
- Homer Simpson

BrotherRockeye
03-10-2015, 05:07 PM
The one time I had to B&E a house (drove all the way to the city without keys to the city house) It didn't take long with just what was in my tool box...and no serious/noticeable damage.

I could get into vehicles pretty quick when I was younger thanks to my towing days. Folks always looked a little astonished that it only took a few seconds to be in their vehicle.

blacksmithden
03-10-2015, 11:55 PM
phone the RCMP and report your basement flooded...

FOR THE WIN !

blacksmithden
03-10-2015, 11:56 PM

That's bizarre, I seem to have both of those handy at the moment....

Pick up your locksmith license at the door. :)

Flashpoint
04-04-2015, 01:26 AM
When I was a kid, I found out that if you've got a dremel and a tube of JB Weld epoxy, you can do amazing things with some steel bristle and the motor off an old electric toothbrush.

Foxer
04-04-2015, 01:51 AM
When I was a kid, I found out that if you've got a dremel and a tube of JB Weld epoxy, you can do amazing things with some steel bristle and the motor off an old electric toothbrush.

Yeah. Just don't accidentally put that back in the toothbrush holder at night. It might clean yer teeth, but your gums will hate you :)

Good to see you back around kid!

Edward Teach
04-04-2015, 12:19 PM
http://www.larchmontfire.org/images/fdny_fe.pdf

bettercallsaul
04-04-2015, 12:38 PM
I had a girlfriend who was thinking of getting an apartment in downtown Niagara Falls. I went to look at it with her. There was a door to a fire escape in the hallway just outside the door of the apartment we were looking at. I told her to wait in the hallway, I went outside, came up the fire escape, took out an old plastic university ID card, jimmied the lock open and was inside the hallway with my girlfriend. I said: "Let's look at some other places first." Needless to say, she didn't get that apartment. It was an old building in a rather nasty part of town.

FlyingHigh
04-04-2015, 12:55 PM
I used to be able to get my apartment door open with a credit card. It actually saved my arse once when I forgot my keys inside. LOL. However, it was disturbingly easy to get in. Sure, you needed a key just to get in the building but no one ever checked. When I got locked out, I just hung around outside until someone came. I told them I had forgotten my keys and my roommate was asleep. They let me in the building without asking if I really lived there or not. I went up to my place and opened the door with my card. No key required. Anyone could do it.

Just before we moved out, I showed a neighbour how to do it when he was locked out. He apparently broke his lease and moved out. I also told some prospective tenants about it in front of the building manager. They told her they were no longer interested in the building. Good. Property management companies in GP are all a bunch of pricks anyways. LOL

Neil Burke
04-04-2015, 04:34 PM
351. (1) Every one who, without lawful excuse, the proof of which lies on them, has in their possession any instrument suitable for the purpose of breaking into any place, motor vehicle, vault or safe under circumstances that give rise to a reasonable inference that the instrument has been used or is or was intended to be used for such a purpose,

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years; or

Don't be in sketchy places, doing sketchy things with sketchy people and you're fine. Note, things vary province to provice.

Flashpoint
04-04-2015, 06:06 PM
Yeah. Just don't accidentally put that back in the toothbrush holder at night. It might clean yer teeth, but your gums will hate you :)

Good to see you back around kid!
Thanks!

Heh. Fortunately, I managed to avoid sticking the vibratory pick in my mouth. Otherwise, that would have given new meaning to the term "toothpick!"

Makes my mouth hurt just thinking about it!

On a more serious side, I kinda worry now. If gluing a piece of steel bristle from a road cleaner or a piece of an umbrella onto the end of an electric toothbrush motor could be a ten year offense... that's seriously kinda worrying, especially how open-ended that definition could be.

Foxer
04-04-2015, 08:12 PM
On a more serious side, I kinda worry now. If gluing a piece of steel bristle from a road cleaner or a piece of an umbrella onto the end of an electric toothbrush motor could be a ten year offense... that's seriously kinda worrying, especially how open-ended that definition could be.

Dude, it's canada. Everything's illegal. Don't sweat it and if you get caught just tell them it's modern art. (honestly officer, it's meant to represent how technology simply makes us spin our wheels and go nowhere)

blacksmithden
04-04-2015, 09:22 PM
Dude, it's canada. Everything's illegal. Don't sweat it and if you get caught just tell them it's modern art. (honestly officer, it's meant to represent how technology simply makes us spin our wheels and go nowhere)

Throw in there that it's a donation and that it's being auctioned off to raise money for the new Liberal First Nations Gay Straight Alliance....and that you think they might be violating your human rights by interfering.... They're be going the other direction so fast, all that'll be left is a couple skid marks and a puff of smoke ! LOL !

Foxer
04-04-2015, 09:44 PM
Throw in there that it's a donation and that it's being auctioned off to raise money for the new Liberal First Nations Gay Straight Alliance

Yes- tell them you're with those guys. And not the "nuke the gay unborn whales for Jesus Coalition". Man, that had no positive effect at all.

#00BUCK
04-05-2015, 07:42 AM

Well, better cut everyone's legs off. A lock kick is more convenient than a lock pick.

Tactical72
04-05-2015, 10:08 AM
Not necessarily, walking is a lawful excuse for being in possession of legs. Also, I dare you to kick your way into my gun cabinet. 😜

Gunexpert007
04-05-2015, 02:13 PM
Well, better cut everyone's legs off. A lock kick is more convenient than a lock pick.

True.....locks are only for honest people ; most criminals do not even bother playing with locks , they either break a window , or kick the door in . They grab what valuables they can , and run.....

blacksmithden
04-05-2015, 03:24 PM
True.....locks are only for honest people ; most criminals do not even bother playing with locks , they either break a window , or kick the door in . They grab what valuables they can , and run.....

Exactly. I get such a kick out of walking up to someone's house, and there's a $400 Medco high security, almost pick proof lock on the front door of the house....the same door that's got a glass window in it that's half the size of the door. LOL.

firemachine69
04-05-2015, 08:25 PM
Exactly. I get such a kick out of walking up to someone's house, and there's a $400 Medco high security, almost pick proof lock on the front door of the house....the same door that's got a glass window in it that's half the size of the door. LOL.

Some of us laminate our windows. ;)

GunGuy34
04-06-2015, 01:16 PM
http://www.kingarmory.com/assets/images/KAgraphics374.jpg

lol that would wake up the neighbors.

dakotamar
04-07-2015, 06:45 PM
got locked out of my truck at my property last weekend. 1 hour back to get keys and the wife wasn't home. took a coat hanger from the trailer and a wedge of wood to pry the door open a bit and was in the truck in 10secs.

one other time the neighbors kid came home and had forgotten one of her keys or something, was able to open the front door but forgot about the door chain. So the house alarm is ringing away and she comes to get my dad, who as a cop that had lock smith training, took his gear over to try and open the back door. Somebody must of called the cops because a police car came by while he was working the back door and the cop yelled out the window asking him what he was doing, so my dad yelled back,'breaking in, what do you think'. The cop drove off.

BlackthorneMedia
04-08-2015, 05:35 AM
I have been meaning o get a set of picks (you can find them anywhere for under $80 for a really good set) again and get back into practice. Its amazing how easy it is to pick most store bought padlocks and keysets.

The key is grabbing and collecting all those locks around your house you have no keys for and practicing. I have a friend who can pick just about anything short of a Medico after just a few weeks of practice.

Certainly a frangible skill ,but quite a bit of it will stay with you.

jwirecom109
04-12-2015, 09:52 AM
http://www.dudeiwantthat.com/household/tools/lockpick-school-in-a-box.asp

Saw this, this morning.